• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Driving from Burlington to Sugarloaf- best route?

frapcap

Hi Guys,
I'm driving from Burlington to the Summit on Friday and want to get your opinion on routes and the associated roads. These are roads I've never traveled on before and I don't know how passable they are, if they're highways, back roads, etc and could really use some guidance on this one.

The first Google Maps suggested route is 93 to Rt 2 to Rt 3 to 110 to 110A to RT16 to RT27.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...ByxTDGmk1jTAhWCvg&oq=sugarloaf&t=h&mra=ls&z=9

The second option is 93 to Rt100 to RT5A to 105 to RT3 to RT26 to RT 16 to RT27.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...mk1jTAhWCvg&oq=sugarloaf&t=h&mra=ls&z=9&via=1

The first route looks like a mess, but what do I know.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks!!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would take neither of those routes. I would go 89 down to Montpelier and take Route 2 from there clear across VT, NH and on to Farmington, ME and then up 27 to Sugarloaf.

Savemeasammy

If you are starting on 93, it sounds more like you are coming from MA rather than VT? If so, did it not suggest a 95 option?

On a similar note, if one were coming from Concord, NH, would it be better to go up 95 or 93 - taking Friday traffic into consideration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Burlington, MA or Burlington, VT? The former I assume.
Since both Google maps linked bring up Burlington, VT, I'd assume it would be that one.

Why not 128 to 95 North?
Wow - no matter what forum I visit, I can't seem to get away from a 128 discussion. Alright, fine, I'll bite: If we're talking Burlington, MA, then you're already on I-95. :cool: But don't let any locals/traffic reporters/news reporters try to fool you into thinking I-95 doesn't exist between Dedham and Peabody. Does it? Of course it does. Does 128 end in Braintree or Dedham or Peabody? Don't get me started on THAT one!

Sorry folks - 5 hours of sleep in 2 days, mixed in with spending those nights on the mountain making "ice". Long story, I'll save something for next time.

Savemeasammy

Since both Google maps linked bring up Burlington, VT, I'd assume it would be that one.

Oh... ;) I tried the link on my phone. I got a blank map. Thanks for taking us to school, though!

Smellytele

Hi Guys,
I'm driving from Burlington to the Summit on Friday and want to get your opinion on routes and the associated roads. These are roads I've never traveled on before and I don't know how passable they are, if they're highways, back roads, etc and could really use some guidance on this one.

The first Google Maps suggested route is 93 to Rt 2 to Rt 3 to 110 to 110A to RT16 to RT27.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...ByxTDGmk1jTAhWCvg&oq=sugarloaf&t=h&mra=ls&z=9

The second option is 93 to Rt100 to RT5A to 105 to RT3 to RT26 to RT 16 to RT27.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...mk1jTAhWCvg&oq=sugarloaf&t=h&mra=ls&z=9&via=1

The first route looks like a mess, but what do I know.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks!!!

Hey, now I know where you live and that you won't be home this weekend. :)

xwhaler

On a similar note, if one were coming from Concord, NH, would it be better to go up 95 or 93 - taking Friday traffic into consideration!

I can't see much traffic going up 95...maybe a bit by the York tolls and going through Portland on 295 but other than that should be smooth sailing. The 93 route would have zero traffic but you are relegated to long stretches of rural back roads once you get off the highway. They appear to be close enough in time though. What I'd probably do is go up 95 and back home 93---Sunday late afternoon traffic down near the York tolls can sometimes be bad.

frapcap

I would take neither of those routes. I would go 89 down to Montpelier and take Route 2 from there clear across VT, NH and on to Farmington, ME and then up 27 to Sugarloaf.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Is it a decent road with a reasonable speed limit/road treatment?

frapcap

Sorry guys- I meant Burlington, Vermont. I didn't know there was a Burlington, MA.

Hey, now I know where you live and that you won't be home this weekend. :)

No such luck! I live in MA but am headed to Burlington for work tonight/tomorrow. Now, if you'd like to send some chocolates or something my way, that'd be awesome. ; )

gmcunni

i did Burlington Vt to Sugarloaf a few years ago. i didn't plan well and just let my GPS guide me.. that ride sucked! i don't recall the exact route but it looked a roughly like your option 1.

slow and boring

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was not sure if it was BTV or not as I did not click on the link (I looked on my phone).

As said, go 89S to Montpelier, Route 2 East to St. Jay. From there you can continue on Rte. 2 or go down I-93 to Littleton, take 302 E to Twin Mountain, Rte 3 north and then head north on 115 in Carroll to Jefferson, Route 2 through Berlin/Gorham, past Sunday River to Farmington and then 27 North. It is a haul for sure, but a pretty drive nonetheless.

Dickc

It is a bit faster to stay on 93 south until just past Littleton, NH. Take 302 over to Twin Mountain. Turn north on Route 3 and almost immediately turn right onto 115. This brings you back to Route 2. 302 and 115 are all 50+ MPH highway with only one or two slowdowns. You get to miss all of Lancaster this way. If you want to take 16, you can catch it at Gorham (left at the lights).