• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Easter Sunday at Camelback..

Hey All,I'm back from a sunny Easter Sunday at Camelback mountain. I putzed around this morning and didn't leave my house until around 7:45AM. I arrived at the base of the mountain around 8:30AM and it was a brisk 26 degrees with moderate winds. There were alot of cars already in the parking lot but I managed to score a spot right near the bottom of the steps. Wow the parking lot at Camelback has attendents and white lines dividing the spaces..Blue needs to do that.. I went to skier services to score my free ticket. I had to fill out a form and they asked me for my phone number and I said it was 484-555-5555...and the woman rolled her eyes at me..

Then over to the Sullivan express. My first run was down Marjies delight which had lots of rollers at the top which made big GS carves near impossible..boo..groom the thing smooth or let it bump up..speed bumps are for nubz..Then on my 2nd lift ride I saw GahSkier George and waited for him at the top. We skied the Asp which was a little bit smoother, then Big Pocono to Dromadary which is a nice run and then cut across and skied Pocono Raceway which was really nice cord down to the Stevenson express.

Cliffhanger had lots of cookies and frozen crud and they had brush gates set up. Then a run down Nile Mile which is a fun run for sure and then GahSkier Georges friend Slim whose at Blue all the time joined us. We tackled the double diamond steeps of Cliffhanger again then made our way back to the westside. We thought about poaching the big park but the ticket checker was right at the entrance. We first did a run down the birches to the beginner park..and there was Techno music blasting. Then over to the fabled front four. We went left to right and hit The Hump, The Asp, Rocket, and Marjies. They are all almost exactly the same and three out of four of them had the annoying speed bumps near the top and in the middle.

Around 10:00AM I met up with Melissa and her friend Sarah at the base of the Sullivan. We first skied King Tut...then the Asp..then we worked our way over to the Stevenson via Pocono Racweway which still had some fresh granuler cord. The snow by this point was real sugary. We skied Cliffhanger, then Nile Mile Twice, and three runs down the Pharoh to Bactrarian..which is also a really nice run..and uber fast by the middle section. Then we worked our way over to the main base for lunch.

The cafeteria was pretty packed and at one point the line was like 30 people line. I had beef Stew, a soft pretzal, and a diet pepsi. Melissa had some chicken fingers and fries and Sarah had Onion rings and some sort of Chicken Sandwich. Sarah was really digging the condiment bar...it's mad steezy..Blue needs a condiment bar..

After lunch we skied The Rocket, Marjies, Big Pocono, and Cleopatra. Melissa's new boots were bugging her and she went to the lodge. Me and Sarah headed back to the Stevenson and skied two runs on Nile Mile and two runs on The Pharoh to Bactarian. By this point things were getting pretty slushy. We then skied back to the main lodge and quit for the day. It was fun skiing with Melissa, Sarah, Gahskier, and George. I was digging Melissas new wider/longer skis..In total I skied 34 runs from 8:30AM to 2:30PM including 18 off the Sullivan and 16 off the Stevenson for a total of 24,500 vert figuring the Sullivan lift is 650 vert and the Stevenson is 800 vert. All in all it was a great day of spring skiing..

You have to have a separate ticket to ski the park? :blink:

Only for the big park..it's a common thing at mid atlantic resorts and Stratton has a park pass as well..it keeps gapers and nubz out of the terrain park...they actually have a guy on payroll who sits at the entrance to the park and checks passes.

If I had a season pass there I would watch the safety video and get a park pass but just skiing there for one day..it wasn't worth it..

deadheadskier

Staff member
How much do they charge extra for a day park pass? I don't ride park at all, so it wouldn't affect me, I was just surprised. I had never heard of such a thing.

How much do they charge extra for a day park pass? I don't ride park at all, so it wouldn't affect me, I was just surprised. I had never heard of such a thing.

I think it's $5 for the season..some places are free for a park pass. You've never heard of park passes...what cave have you been in...lol..

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess I just haven't even paid attention to a park in many years. If I can see one from a lift or a lodge I'll watch people, but I don't really bother with them. Well, actually I did ride the half pipe at Saddleback in their park last weekend. Even managed to get above the wall on it for some credit card air :lol:

Also tried to ride a rail for the first time in my life, which was a massive failure. Skis shot straight out from under me and I was fortunate not to land on the thing and crack a rib. I think my jibbin' days have passed me by :lol:

I like the smaller 15-20 foot tabletops..and step downs..the big mo-fo booter at Blue was like 40+ feet and scary as hell..it was nicknamed the season ender..Since there are park passes I wish there were Black Diamond passes to keep the goobers out of my way..little kids wedging across the trail make damn good gates..lol..