• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fatality at Hunter

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Anyone know more about this?

HUNTER, N.Y. (AP) -- State police say a New York City woman has died after falling from a chair lift at a ski area in the Catskills. Authorities tell local media that the 44-year-old Brooklyn woman was on a lift at Hunter Mountain in Greene County when she fell off around 2:15 p.m. Sunday. Troopers say she died at the scene. An autopsy was scheduled Monday. No other information has been released. The accident is under investigation.

Read More at: http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/feat...claims-life-woman-hunter-mountain-22009.shtml

dlague

I was waiting to hear about something like this but not falling from the chair. I was expecting someone going off a trail with bullet proof conditions. I saw a few out of control wipe outs and slides - all were ok, but .....

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
Update: http://patch.com/new-york/newcity/brooklyn-woman-dies-fall-hunter-mountain-ski-lift

"Olga Filkin, 44, had been riding on the D-lift at Hunter Mountain Ski Resort, police said. She was by herself, with the safety bar engaged in the downward position.

The chair began to rock, one of her skis got caught on one of the lift support poles, and she fell about 25 feet at the base of Tower #1, according to the Albany Times Union."

I have always been a little worried about that happening on a windy day, so sad.

skiNEwhere

Sounds like a series of misfortune events aligned themselves. Sad to hear.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Update: http://patch.com/new-york/newcity/brooklyn-woman-dies-fall-hunter-mountain-ski-lift

"Olga Filkin, 44, had been riding on the D-lift at Hunter Mountain Ski Resort, police said. She was by herself, with the safety bar engaged in the downward position.

The chair began to rock, one of her skis got caught on one of the lift support poles, and she fell about 25 feet at the base of Tower #1, according to the Albany Times Union."

I have always been a little worried about that happening on a windy day, so sad.

Wonder if ski caught in ladder behind lift pole , many areas add plywood guard to prevent that type of thing.

BenedictGomez

From what I understand, She must have tried to turn around and take a picture, as her phone was next to her on the ground. When this happened, her ski contacted the tower and spun her out of the chair. Its so very sad!

So her skis went from facing uphill to 90 degrees from that orientation when she turned, and clipped the tower?