• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Domestic Airline?

deadheadskier

Staff member
In general, I absolutely hate flying. I view it as a necessary evil. The hassle of getting to the airport, ridiculous security, F&B ripoffs, bad service etc. makes me hate the experience

Unfortunately, I've had to fly a bunch the past couple years. Almost once a month. I've flown Delta, American, US Air, United, Alaska, Southwest, Jet Blue, Airtran and probably a few others.

Jet Blue is hands down my favorite. Cleanest and newest planes, most roomy seats, best leg room, 40 channel TV at seat, free WiFi.

gmcunni

jetblue too. i'm not a huge traveler for business or pleasure, don't have tons of miles for upgrades and stuff. have jetblue AMEX since 2004 and get a free family vacation (flights) each year out of it.

yeggous

Jet Blue is my second favorite. Alaska Airlines for the win. Customer service is far and away the best.

jimk

I also don't like flying and consider it a necessary evil. In fact, I've driven to the Rockies to ski about six times in the last dozen years. Early in Dec 2015 I flew with my wife on Norwegian Air from Baltimore to the Caribbean Island of Martinique. This was a new route for Norwegian and they offered a cheap roundtrip, nonstop for $175. It was a fun and cheap trip and timing was great because we had no local skiing at the time. On the way down we flew on a brand new 737 that was 2/3 empty. About as many on return trip and both airports were not crowded. Those flights started and finished the trip on such a relaxing note that it contributed strongly to a successful overall vacation.
Nonstops are always a big plus if you can get them for decent price compared to dealing with connecting flights.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Jet Blue is my second favorite. Alaska Airlines for the win. Customer service is far and away the best.

My home office is in Seattle. Both Alaska and Jet Blue fly directly from Logan and I've taken both a couple times. The difference in cabin quality on a JetBlue plane is pretty significant and appreciated over a five hour flight.

Can you give an example of where you've found the customer service great. Is it for ticket changes? In flight crew?

Edd

I always go for the direct flight, regardless of carrier. Southwest gets my $ for ski trips due to the 2 free bag check.

Hawkshot99

I have only flown southwest. I have gone west to ski 3 times and always used them because of the ski bag fees.
I would jot call it a awesome expierence, but u made it alive. ..

Cannonball

My home office is in Seattle. Both Alaska and Jet Blue fly directly from Logan and I've taken both a couple times. The difference in cabin quality on a JetBlue plane is pretty significant and appreciated over a five hour flight.

Can you give an example of where you've found the customer service great. Is it for ticket changes? In flight crew?

I fly through Seattle ~10+ times per year on the way to AK. Jet Blue has the most comfortable seats. But Alaska's aren't bad and I agree that their customer service is the best. Some examples:
--I had a flight this year that was delayed ~40min. No big deal, just had another beer. Before I even landed they had emailed me a $75 voucher for the inconvenience.
--They don't charge for changes. Many times I've booked 4-5 different flight options since my schedule was tentative. I was able to hold them all and pick the one I wanted at the last minute.

Tin

JetBlue. Cheap, TV, internet, etc.

My last trip on Southwest I was told I would be "fined" for bringing booze on the plane and the seats remind me of buckets with plywood on top.

Two trips on Delta in my life and never again. DELTA = Does Not Ever Leave the Airport. First trip we were on the runway for two hours with no explanation. The next my baggage got lost despite a two hour layover and it took two days for them to get it back to me.

This describes Southwest imo...

yeggous

Every time I fly Alaska I am stunned at how accommodating they are. Ticket changes are seamless. Staff are friendly and apologetic. They'll bend over backwards to make things right.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Every time I fly Alaska I am stunned at how accommodating they are. Ticket changes are seamless. Staff are friendly and apologetic. They'll bend over backwards to make things right.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

This is why I won't fly Alaska....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Scruffy

Jet Blue has always been good to me, but Southwest has up'ed their game as of late and I've been impressed with them also, where I was not impressed with SW years ago. But truthfully, I fly whatever gets me there at the right price and schedule. I'll pay up for direct flights and companies with good safety records, but have bent that rule at times too. Bottom line, flying has gotten to be a huge pain. Before 911, I traveled for business worldwide and would arrive at the airport sometimes half hour before take off and get on enjoy a easy fast flight. Now, it seems it's an all day affair just to fly withing the eastern seaboard.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good point on the all day affair. My folks are retired in Florida. It definitely seems like a full day commitment to get to and from there now.

Southwest is great for the free bags and excellent service. I really don't like their boarding system though. I like to be able to pick my seat when I buy the ticket. Yes, you can check in early and get a more favorable position in line, but I really don't see a benefit to the process.

Edd

Here's a routine Southwest experience for me: I order a drink or two, the attendant tells me that they'll charge me later, and they never come back so that I can settle the bill. That's happened probably 5 times. Anyone else?

Cannonball

Here's a routine Southwest experience for me: I order a drink or two, the attendant tells me that they'll charge me later, and they never come back so that I can settle the bill. That's happened probably 5 times. Anyone else?

On Alaska they usually just tell me "don't worry about it"

xwhaler

On Alaska they usually just tell me "don't worry about it"

My 1st flight on Alaska was in 09 on my way out to Whistler. Their calling card was the free beer as I recall they were one of the last remaining domestics to offer it...that Alaskan Amber went down very nicely to start off our trip.

xwhaler

Best domestic flight I ever had was on Continental on my honeymoon on way to Hawaii. Full meals in coach and just a really nice experience. MHT-EWR-HNL. I was disappointed when United absorbed Continental as I always had a positive opinion of that airline.