• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Florida Skier Gets $800k [Default] Judgment Against Snowmass Snowboarder

HowieT2

Right, but you must admit that the courts give a lot of leeway to pro se parties.

even attorneys. I had a case years ago where the defendants attorney in their answer admitted to liability. It was obviously a mistake because no one would do that, but it was there, in writing. 5 years later when the case went to trial the judge on oral application allowed them to amend their answer to deny liability.

BenedictGomez

Right, but you must admit that the courts give a lot of leeway to pro se parties.

Geez, I'd hope to never find out. Going to court without a lawyer seems nuts.

even attorneys. I had a case years ago where the defendants attorney in their answer admitted to liability. It was obviously a mistake because no one would do that, but it was there, in writing. 5 years later when the case went to trial the judge on oral application allowed them to amend their answer to deny liability.

This is why laypeople tend to think the legal system needs some fixing.

skiNEwhere

I know judges look at mitigating factors when handing down sentences in criminal proceedings.

I presume they do the same for civil cases? If the guy had a defense lawyer I would think he'd argue that the FL skier stopped in a poor location and the judge would have imposed a smaller total on the boarder