• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Gore-bits Couloir"

St. Jerry

Located under the High Peaks chair right before the lift passes over the Open Pit trail. Straightline (straight-on from the top op Open pit, not the side cut-in) the 10 foot cliff then land on a patch of snow, immediatly followed by 5 foot cliff. Then a slight turn to avoid the trees and powerline cable.

Best picture I could find of it on the interwebz: http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...ur=1719&page=1&start=0&ndsp=8&ved=0CFoQrQMwAg

Saw some dude do it in about a 10" base yesterday. Was pretty sick. Been skiing at Gore for 30+ years and never seen anyone attempt it before.

I'm going to argue that this is the sickest "in-bounds" line in the East. flame away.

Savemeasammy

I'm sure the picture doesn't do this line justice, but if you've only seen one attempt in 30 years, that probably speaks to the ballsyness of the line. Dropping 2 modest cliffs without being able to skid off some speed, and then making a "must turn" at speed takes skill - and some guts!

x10003q

In my 30 years at Gore I have never witnessed somebody on that drop. During big snow years there are usually tracks. Doing that with the lack of snow in the woods is ballsy.

Warp Daddy

I have skied Gore several days each yr since '98 and have never seen anyone attempt that huck either . At best you 'd see occasional tracks and frankly the pic does NOT due justice to the difficulty imho.

gladerider

@jaysunn, I was fortunate enuf to hit it on a decent day a few years ago before Irene changed the terrain. Good experience. I've been going up there over a decade but got lucky only once. Recently they have been requiring avi gears I think. Normally opens up a few days in March.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

I'm sure that picture doesn't do it justice. But even so I think what I've seen in the woods at MRG / Smuggs / Jay (ridge saddle) / maybe even Magic have lines as gnarly as that... plus trees to crash into.

That's not taking away from Gore. In a sick in-bounds lines of the east contest, that looks to be a sure contender.

millerm277

St. Jerry

In my 30 years at Gore I have never witnessed somebody on that drop. During big snow years there are usually tracks. Doing that with the lack of snow in the woods is ballsy.

Yea, the tracks in the past have all been coming in from the side and avoiding the initial 10 foot drop. I've actually done it from the side in a good snow year (the March where it snowed like 7 feet a couple of years ago) and it is still pretty hairy.
What this guy did was straightline it down directly under the lift line the entire way and not come in from the side.

btw, I plan on tradmarking "Gore-bits Couloir"

Smellytele

Actually only been there once and a whole group did both this and the part shown as part of the darkside glades under the chair more than once as a road up the chair

AdironRider

Hah, this thread is amusing.

And that screenshot of Corbets is on an easier day. Right now its 15 feet with a nice pile of rocks in the landing, and that's the easier side entrance.