• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

HELP BINDINGS ADVICE WANTED! Marker N03 11

casey9

Website
www.mtruapehu.com
Bought a 2cd hand pair of Dobermann Spitfire 178s more of a carver than the Salomon X Scream 195s I have been running on. The one downside is the Markers are on an "ex3i" mount/plate that sits into the concave grooves on the Dobermanns I may to need to swap the bindings over to something with a higher DIN(also the pre-release issue with this sort of Marker?)? Do I have to stay with Marker? OR can I remove the ex3i mount and put a race plate or Head/Tyrolia Railflex plate and compatible binding on??? a couple of photos included as attachments. Yes and I know hindsight is better than foresight!!! and if I had to do it again I might have purchased a different ski/binding IMG_0797.jpgIMG_0798.jpg IMG_0799.jpg IMG_0800.jpg

:dontknow:

casey9

Website
www.mtruapehu.com
11 is not high enough DIN for you? ACL repairs from a non releasing binding suck, I know, been there.
The 11 may be more than I need. At a 9 now on longer skis(195cm Salomon X-Screams but different bindings Salomon 897 composites) I wouldn't have worried half so much except as I was looking at changing I came across a number of comments about Marker pre-release issues!!!!!!! :slap: I know that there is a higher system DIN that is available N03 15/16 but if it is a system ski binding setup then that is why I am not seeing any to purchase(old new stock)! However where there is a will there is a way!! thanks may have to pull check underneath and worst case mount a plate/bracket with shims to hold a non-system binding that would be more reliable................ Watch this space!!! :blink::blink:

casey9

Website
www.mtruapehu.com

Puck it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join Date:Oct 2006Location:Wilmington,MAPosts:6,260Items for Sale

This is a system ski and binding. You can not switch to a different manufactuer.
I hear what you say, know why you have said it, but I am hoping I can find a work around regardless!!:-(

Highway Star

You may be ok with a 9 or 10 DIN on that binding, if that's what you normally ski on.

It's going to be very hard to find a higher din system binding sold by itself, you may luck out on ebay, or perhaps contact the manufacturer.

You need to get a pozidriv #3 or normal #3 Philips screwdriver, and dismount the bindings. It may be possible that they actually use a normal pattern marker binding that simply screws to the plate.

If the plate is flat and substantial, you may be able to drill, tap, and mount bindings to it. Normal markers may share some of the hole pattern.

If the plate is not usable, it may be possible to entirely remove it and mount a binding or replacement plate directly to the ski. It looks like they have a complicated top surface profile, so you will need to take plastic and shape it to fill, to create a flat surface to mount to. The mounting area has to be substantial enough to take the mount, either a wood core, or thick fiberglass if a foam core and preferably metal in the topsheet. The screws need to go about 8-9mm into the ski, so you may need longer screws if going through a spacer.

Good luck, you'll need it!

wa-loaf

Set them to 9 and ski away. If you have release issues, then start worrying about needing a higher DIN.

dlague

I would keep the set up that way it is and as wa-loaf said adjust higher is needed but 11 does seem too high!