• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help with a 'Western' trip/destination

crank

Do they let you though the gate into Alta without a pass?

I've skied JH many times with no car. Easier IMO. We stay in town where there is reasonably priced lodging and tons of restaurants and such. But like KTK I like having a car for SLC and most other places. Although much love for staying slopeside at the Huntley in Big Sky.

My son and I went to Alta/Bird and stayed at Snowbird for a week. Was wishing we had gotten our shuttle to stop at a grocery store on the way up. Limited choice of eateries some good some not so much and all pricey. Small grocery/deli type thing in base lodge also pricey. This was before Ikon. I forget what pass we had or if we bought tickets there... could have been MCP? Anyway we skied 3 days at Alta and 2 at Snowbird. We bussed up to Alta and skied back to Snowbird off the backside of the Wildcat lift at days end.

abc

I missed the OP’s follow up post a while back. He doesn’t mind renting a car. In that case, it puts Colorado back on the running.

While SLC is easy to get from airport to lodging in the valley, the daily commute to the mountain is considerably more stressful compare to the easy drive/bus from Frisco/Silverthrone to Copper, or Winter Park town to WP mountain. Renting a car from DEN and drive up to Summit county, OP probably have a more relaxing 4 days there than SLC. The wild card of sleeping at altitude issue notwithstanding.

Copper is my current “(2nd) home mountain”. Been going there for a good 5+ years now. I think it’s a great mountain for a first visit from the east.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Do they let you though the gate into Alta without a pass?

Not at the main gate at the top of Baldy/Sugarloaf. But you can get to it from Snowbird through other gates (High Baldy Traverse). And you can take Blackjack back to Snowbird and ski a decent chunk of Wildcat doing that. Fun to do for ha-has but not going to be anything epic.

Town of Alta is running a shuttle this season between the Alta lodges and the Cliff so inter-canyon transit is not as awful with the UTA bus cuts.

crank

And you can take Blackjack back to Snowbird and ski a decent chunk of Wildcat doing that. Fun to do for ha-has but not going to be anything epic.
This is what we did last run to get back to Snowbird where we were sleeping at Iron Blossam.

Scottyskis2

Utah more snow than co
Steamboat nice but low elevations.
Once I found about Utah mountains while I could ski I never went back to Colorado.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Contemplating going to Sunlight on my IndyPass MLK weekend. Wondering if folks can help me gauge the following

1. Planning to drive from Denver to Glenwood on Sat - should traffic be bearable if I wait til later in the day to do the drive? What time is recommended and what sort of delays should I anticipate.

2. Same question for return trip after lifts close on Monday. Need to make it back to DIA by 10pm to return rental and get on midnight flight. How manageable should that be?

Tonyr

Contemplating going to Sunlight on my IndyPass MLK weekend. Wondering if folks can help me gauge the following

1. Planning to drive from Denver to Glenwood on Sat - should traffic be bearable if I wait til later in the day to do the drive? What time is recommended and what sort of delays should I anticipate.

2. Same question for return trip after lifts close on Monday. Need to make it back to DIA by 10pm to return rental and get on midnight flight. How manageable should that be?
If you leave at 11 am or so on Saturday it should be not horrible. (I never drive on Saturdays) Glenwood Springs from Denver with no traffic is around 2 hours and 45 minutes. The best day to leave is Friday morning driving back Monday. Sunday afternoons are a nightmare as well.

abc

If you leave at 11 am or so on Saturday it should be not horrible. (I never drive on Saturdays) Glenwood Springs from Denver with no traffic is around 2 hours and 45 minutes. The best day to leave is Friday morning driving back Monday. Sunday afternoons are a nightmare as well.
Except it’s a holiday weekend. So it’ll be Monday that will be a bottleneck.

I’ve only done those drives pre-pandemic. So don’t know how much my experiences can be counted on. In any case, leaving after 7 from Summit county, I never had to deal with traffic. I’d say leaving late on Monday will make your drive a lot faster. So target arrival of 9pm without traffic should see you arriving safely before 10.

That said, don’t forget to check weather condition. That can make a huge difference.

Last edited:

darent

we have done several trips too Steamboat and never rented a car. We always stayed in town and used the free bus and had no problems. Also rented a locker on the mountain so we didn't have to carry skis around. Fun Town and had a great time.

edithhardy

Based on what you've described, I'd recommend looking into ski resorts in either Colorado or Utah. Both states have a ton of great options, so it really comes down to personal preference and what you're looking for in a ski trip.
If you're interested in staying in Utah, I'd recommend looking into resorts like Snowbird, Solitude, and Powder Mountain. All three are great options and offer a variety of terrain for skiers of all levels. If you're staying in Salt Lake City, you can easily access all three resorts with a rental car.
If you're interested in Colorado, you mentioned a few great resorts - Winter Park, A-Basin, Copper, and Steamboat. All four are fantastic options and offer a wide range of terrain for skiers of all levels. If you're looking to avoid the hassle of renting a car, Steamboat might be the best option for you as it's a bit more self-contained.
No matter where you decide to go, I hope you have a great time on your ski trip with your son. And if you're looking for more information about ski resorts or other travel destinations, be sure to check out www.cruisetimetables.com - they have a ton of great resources and information to help you plan your trip. Happy skiing!

Last edited:

urungus

Based on what you've described, I'd recommend looking into ski resorts in either Colorado or Utah.
Yes, those are the only two possibilities mentioned by the original poster in the first post in this thread: “Destination possibilities, CO or UT”. Do you have any advice on specific resorts in those two states, that are on the OPs Ikon Base or Indy passes ?

SnowRock

For what it’s worth I have been looking at a trip that same weekend or the one after. If coming from NYC and looking for direct to SLC your options are not as plentiful as they used to be. United flight times stink (red eye back). Some delta/jet blue options. I’ve even looked at changing airports.

Denver gives you way more in terms of options.

I’m considering using a partial credit and just paying the premium for the ewr to Jackson direct.

And between the buses and hotel shuttles Jackson without a car is truly one of the easiest I’ve experienced. Plus more lodging options then trying to stay at Bird/Alta and a fun town to eat/apres in.

Bumpsis

If DMH's (original question) time parameters were longer than 4 days, I would recommend Banff. Yes, it involves having a passport and travel can be bit daunting. It requires connecting flight, most probably through Toronto and the a 2 hour shuttle drive from Calgary. The reward is staying in super nice ski town that's very affordable and it's actually better without a car. Just about all hotels downtown are serviced by buses which can take you to Lake Louise, Sunshine or Norquay, all on IKON base. The ski experience is just amazing, covering all ski levels. I've been there twice in last 5 years and most probably will return next year.

I'm not sure if elevation sickness is at all a concern that was mentioned. It can be factor that can spoil one or two days of your stay at higher elevation. If you are concerned about it, pay attention. There are drugs for it - Acetazolomide is effective, but you may still be less than optimal if your base is at 7 - 8K, so choose wisely if considering Colorado resorts.

Oh, one other suggestion: Taos, NM. Awesome ski resort. Fly into Albuquerque. There is transportation to the town of Taos and ski shuttles to the resort from town. Staying in town in more fun than up at the resort. The town is very walk-able, so the trip is doable without a car rental. No elevation issues if you're staying in the town of Taos.

1dog

Hello, first time poster, long time lurker. I was hoping to get some input from the experienced folks on this forum. I have never skied outside of New England and finally want to do so the last week in January. I need help in deciding what would be the best destination based on the following criteria:

Me and my 19 year old son, me advanced intermediate, my son intermediate
Ikon Base and Indy Pass holders
Last week in January
Destination possibilities, CO or UT
4 days of skiing

Having never ventured outside of New England, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choices. I can fly direct to DEN or SLC and cost is similar.
Some questions I'm trying to figure out:
If Utah, stay in SLC and hit Snowbird, Solitude, and/or Powder Mountain, or stay closer to one of the mountains?
If CO, which Ikon mountain would be best, Winter Park, ABasin, Copper, or do we do Steamboat.

Based on what I've researched, maybe Steamboat would be the only destination where I could do without a car, but it also introduces a connecting flight.

The ultimate goal is to enjoy a great western ski experience with my son with the least amount of hassle.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
Haven't read the others input so I apologize if its repeated.
1st consideration is elevation - 2k-3k difference can be pretty important with regards to only 4 days - took me two to get acclimated to CO - Utah has lower and ( debatable) more reliable snow generally.
Try TURO for an app to rent a cheaper car - get AWD and at least a small SUV so no ski rack needed.

SLC also has 4 Ikon mts in 2 adjacent canyons. If you have 4 days, don't drive more than you have too.

all all 30-45 mins from airport.

Least hassle - and unless things have changed, Pow Mow is not on Ikon. . . .Snow Basin is and 30 mins closer. . . . .

abc

If DMH's (original question) time parameters were longer than 4 days, I would recommend Banff.
Excellent idea! The only “problem” with Banff as a first trip is the OP will be so spoiled all future trips will pale in comparison! ;)

(And to a lessor degree, Jackson and Taos too)

Edd

If Canada is a consideration, recommend checking to see if they do random Covid checks for international flyers still. They did as recently as September. That’s a vacation ender, potentially.

dmh

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have decided for this trip, UT will be best for us. I really wanted a direct flight, and coming from Boston, DEN or SLC were best options. SLC was even better based on lower elevation and proximity of 3 Ikon Base mountains. Also, I hadn't known about TURO, so that was a bonus to learn about that.
I just booked our flights. Arrive late morning on Sun 1/22. Maybe hit Brighton for night, or Solitude for an afternoon warm up.
Mon, Tues Solitude or Brighton, once we've warmed up, hit Snowbird Wed/Thur, pick another for Friday and fly home that evening.
Based on research on lodging, picking a Homewood Suites about 15-20 min for those mountains.
Having Indy also gives us the PowMow option if we want to make the 90 minute trek one day.

Again, for all those that provided input, I very much appreciate your time time and effort in helping me navigate planning this new adventure. Hopefully, this is the first of many trips to destinations outside of snow starved New England.

Dave

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have decided for this trip, UT will be best for us. I really wanted a direct flight, and coming from Boston, DEN or SLC were best options. SLC was even better based on lower elevation and proximity of 3 Ikon Base mountains. Also, I hadn't known about TURO, so that was a bonus to learn about that.
I just booked our flights. Arrive late morning on Sun 1/22. Maybe hit Brighton for night, or Solitude for an afternoon warm up.
Mon, Tues Solitude or Brighton, once we've warmed up, hit Snowbird Wed/Thur, pick another for Friday and fly home that evening.
Based on research on lodging, picking a Homewood Suites about 15-20 min for those mountains.
Having Indy also gives us the PowMow option if we want to make the 90 minute trek one day.

Again, for all those that provided input, I very much appreciate your time time and effort in helping me navigate planning this new adventure. Hopefully, this is the first of many trips to destinations outside of snow starved New England.

Dave
Sounds good. Just FYI Brighton closes at 4pm on Sundays.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Dave
And another thing as to the elevation I don't know who said that SLC is "lower" in elevation than DEN. Technically, that is correct, but only slightly. Elevation is an issue here. My house in SLC sits at 5,260 feet above sea level. The summit of Snowbird is 11,000 feet. So altitude sickness is a thing here and it will take the average person a day or two to adjust.

abc

And another thing as to the elevation I don't know who said that SLC is "lower" in elevation than DEN. Technically, that is correct, but only slightly. Elevation is an issue here. My house in SLC sits at 5,260 feet above sea level. The summit of Snowbird is 11,000 feet. So altitude sickness is a thing here and it will take the average person a day or two to adjust.
DEN elevation is irrelevant. That’s not where the skiing is.