• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help with a 'Western' trip/destination

thetrailboss

Staff member
DEN elevation is irrelevant. That’s not where the skiing is.
DEN elevation is irrelevant. That’s not where the skiing is.
I'm addressing some posts to the OP that Utah is "lower" in elevation than Colorado and implying that altitude sickness is not an issue. Altitude is an issue in both states albeit some Colorado ski areas have higher summits.

Bumpsis

we have done several trips too Steamboat and never rented a car. We always stayed in town and used the free bus and had no problems. Also rented a locker on the mountain so we didn't have to carry skis around. Fun Town and had a great time.
I find that quite useful. Although, I probably will not visit Steamboat this year, I'm really keen on lining up ski resorts that can be done without a car rental and without staying slope side. Steamboat definitely comes up onto that list.

abc

I'm addressing some posts to the OP that Utah is "lower" in elevation than Colorado and implying that altitude sickness is not an issue. Altitude is an issue in both states albeit some Colorado ski areas have higher summits.
No, it’s not the summit elevation. It’s rare anyone got altitude sickness due to the few minutes at the summits of any ski resort.

It’s the sleeping elevation that’s the issue. But since no one is sleeping in DEN everyday after skiing, it’s irrelevant.

2planks2coasts

we have done several trips too Steamboat and never rented a car. We always stayed in town and used the free bus and had no problems. Also rented a locker on the mountain so we didn't have to carry skis around. Fun Town and had a great time.

Indeed. Had a rental car during one visit to Steamboat and never used it. Parked it at the hotel. After 5 days of being parked, it was buried in snow and I had to borrow a shovel from the hotel to dig it out.

jimk

No, it’s not the summit elevation. It’s rare anyone got altitude sickness due to the few minutes at the summits of any ski resort.

It’s the sleeping elevation that’s the issue. But since no one is sleeping in DEN everyday after skiing, it’s irrelevant.
Yes, this is what I was thinking too. Coming from sea level I've gotten mild altitude sickness on at least four occasions skiing in CO and NM and those were trips where I was sleeping at approx elev 9,000'. In the last ten years I've done more skiing in UT, but I almost always involving sleeping at approx 4500' in the SLC suburbs and driving up to LCC, BCC and Park City during the day. I've had very few noticeable problems with altitude sickness in that mode in UT.

jimk

I find that quite useful. Although, I probably will not visit Steamboat this year, I'm really keen on lining up ski resorts that can be done without a car rental and without staying slope side. Steamboat definitely comes up onto that list.
Park City would be another one good for that category. And unlike doing it to LCC or BCC, in Park City you'd have a nice town with free bus service for apres ski stuff. Aspen would be good too, but pricier all around to get to and stay at.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Park City would be another one good for that category. And unlike doing it to LCC or BCC, in Park City you'd have a nice town with free bus service for apres ski stuff. Aspen would be good too, but pricier all around to get to and stay at.
Park City has been a complete clusterfuck this season again.

Tonyr

Park City has been a complete clusterfuck this season again.
In what way? The resort was literally empty when we were there over Christmas time. I almost couldn't believe how non-existent the lines were. From what I can tell, the new parking situation stinks, but that is going on everywhere.....

1dog

Excellent idea! The only “problem” with Banff as a first trip is the OP will be so spoiled all future trips will pale in comparison! ;)

(And to a lessor degree, Jackson and Taos too)
Except -skied there 2x over last 20 years- good snow-but historically they get a lot less than Wasatch
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have decided for this trip, UT will be best for us. I really wanted a direct flight, and coming from Boston, DEN or SLC were best options. SLC was even better based on lower elevation and proximity of 3 Ikon Base mountains. Also, I hadn't known about TURO, so that was a bonus to learn about that.
I just booked our flights. Arrive late morning on Sun 1/22. Maybe hit Brighton for night, or Solitude for an afternoon warm up.
Mon, Tues Solitude or Brighton, once we've warmed up, hit Snowbird Wed/Thur, pick another for Friday and fly home that evening.
Based on research on lodging, picking a Homewood Suites about 15-20 min for those mountains.
Having Indy also gives us the PowMow option if we want to make the 90 minute trek one day.

Again, for all those that provided input, I very much appreciate your time time and effort in helping me navigate planning this new adventure. Hopefully, this is the first of many trips to destinations outside of snow starved New England.

Dave
Dave, have arrived at SLC at 11 or even 11:30 and was skiing Alta at 1PM - done that a few times - its that close. Once on Alta shuttle where I was alone - asked the driver if I could change in van. . . . . dropped my bags at from of the Peruvian and piked up after skiing. . . once you get there, you'll see what we are talking about. Homewood super close - just prepare/leave at 7 ANYWAY on a powder day - those Canyons clog before 8 AM.

thetrailboss

Staff member
In what way? The resort was literally empty when we were there over Christmas time. I almost couldn't believe how non-existent the lines were. From what I can tell, the new parking situation stinks, but that is going on everywhere.....
In town the parking and crowds are back. DV has had several days where they ran out of parking. Glad that you had a good experience though.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

My daughter has gotten headaches and nausea when briefly at 12k peaks and felt much better when back down to 10k

1dog

My daughter has gotten headaches and nausea when briefly at 12k peaks and felt much better when back down to 10k
11K ( summit of most higher Wasatch Mts) is lower than say Brecks, A-Basin, Copper higher peaks, etc. Vail summits are around that tho - 2K makes a difference when you come from the Ice Coast - while they probably aren't gonna climb that 13K peak at Breck at top of the summit lift, just walking stairs with gear at 9K compared to 7K makes a difference. drink lots of water and half the alcohol works that you need back East - saw a sticker in line last weekend: Ski The L EAST!

So far that's the case here. Dave, you'll need to report back on our super-expensive advice. The cost is putting up with the banter- at least mine.

If you're an east coaster Dave - and you are - you'll feel much more confident reaching down the hill in steeper, drier snow. Hands in front! shin on that tongue of boot - always!

abc

Not quite relevant. OP has Ikon base

Tonyr

In town the parking and crowds are back. DV has had several days where they ran out of parking. Glad that you had a good experience though.
Luckily I didn't run into any parking problems when we skied Deer Valley but I did hear lift tickets sold out New Years weekend. Lift lines while we were there weren't bad at all even with all the snow that came down. We never waited any longer than 5 minutes, and most times there was no wait at all. I did have problems with parking in Park City though, you need a reservation now which is a pain.

abc

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have decided for this trip, UT will be best for us. I really wanted a direct flight, and coming from Boston, DEN or SLC were best options. SLC was even better based on lower elevation and proximity of 3 Ikon Base mountains. Also, I hadn't known about TURO, so that was a bonus to learn about that.
I just booked our flights. Arrive late morning on Sun 1/22. Maybe hit Brighton for night, or Solitude for an afternoon warm up.
Mon, Tues Solitude or Brighton, once we've warmed up, hit Snowbird Wed/Thur, pick another for Friday and fly home that evening.
Based on research on lodging, picking a Homewood Suites about 15-20 min for those mountains.
Having Indy also gives us the PowMow option if we want to make the 90 minute trek one day.

Again, for all those that provided input, I very much appreciate your time time and effort in helping me navigate planning this new adventure. Hopefully, this is the first of many trips to destinations outside of snow starved New England.

Dave
Excellent plan!

I see you squeeze out 5 1/2 days of skiing over your original plan of 4. Well done! Enjoy your trip.

Bumpsis

I was curious as to your reply. So, if one arrives in Park City by means other than rental car (parking is a non-issue then), aside from crowding (lift lines and others), what else would cause the mentioned "clusterfuck"?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was curious as to your reply. So, if one arrives in Park City by means other than rental car (parking is a non-issue then), aside from crowding (lift lines and others), what else would cause the mentioned "clusterfuck"?
Traffic
Lift lines
Trying to get a table for dinner
Etc.

4aprice

Traffic
Lift lines
Trying to get a table for dinner
Etc.
You mean it's mid season (high season for the ski resorts), 45 mins if that, to a major airport (one of few in the west with mountain access) and a huge lack of snow here in the Northeast where a lot of skiers/boarders come from. Shocking lol.

Would imagine it remains this way till the spring shoulder season takes place in March and April.

Tonyr

You mean it's mid season (high season for the ski resorts), 45 mins if that, to a major airport (one of few in the west with mountain access) and a huge lack of snow here in the Northeast where a lot of skiers/boarders come from. Shocking lol.

Would imagine it remains this way till the spring shoulder season takes place in March and April.
The way Park City was run the last couple of years really turned people off and I think it was probably one of the reasons why the resort was empty over the holidays this season. It was shockingly quiet there. We never waited once in a line, just skied right on to the lifts every single time over the 3 days we skied there. In previous years it would normally take up to 40 minutes to get on a lift in the mornings at the base during a holiday weekend or a powder day.

The Cottonwoods on the other hand were an absolute disaster from a traffic perspective over the holidays. If you want to ski Alta or Snowbird on a powder day you need to factor in a 5 am wake up call, then an early departure to ensure a parking spot. Then there is a wait in the lot for the lifts to open. My friend waited in line for 3 hours one morning for a bus ride up before he called it quits for the day. The ride out of the canyon at the end of the day can be just as bad. One of the days we were there the traffic took 2 hours just to go from Alta back to Snowbird, I can't even imagine how long it took to get out of the canyon that day. I absolutely love the terrain at both places but I don't see how this is fun unless your staying on mountain and even that luxury has now become much more expensive.

In any event, atleast for this year, the Sandy side was more of a clusterf*** than the Park City side in our experience.