• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hiking in Arizona

hammer

Has anyone ever done any hikes in central Arizona that they can recommend?

I'll be in the Phoenix area on vacation next week and I'm looking for some good family hikes...need to keep it relatively easy.

ctenidae

Along the Mogollan Rim north of Payson is really pretty. It's a massive dropoff where teh Rockies fall to Mexico. Really spectacular when a storm rolls up the Rim.

It's Apache/Sitgreaves and Coconino National Forest. There is a road that runs all along the Rim (aptly named Rim Road) from highway 87 in the West to the Payson Heber Highway in the East. There is a campground with showers at the East end. 15 years ago I ate at The German Cowboy in PAyson a fair amount. Okay, drank a lot, but I think the food was decent. Of course, I was getting in to town every two weeks and living in a tent, so who knows. You can also run up 87 to its intersection with I-40 and stand on a corner in Wnslow Arizona. Truly, such a fine sight to see.

Also, if you go up past Military Sinkhole through Hole-in-the-Ground, you might see GSS as Poon Tank, or Marc at either Sheep Creek or Mule Spring.

PA Ridge Racer

I believe a popular hike with the locals is to summit Camelback Mt. in Scottsdale. I've never done it but I stayed there a couple of times. Plus, although there are probably plenty more hikes in the Valley, Sedona is about 2 hours away and there's plenty there as well. Despite it's lack of snow and not much skiing (south of Flagstaff at least)... l LOVE Arizona.