• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter 1/10/10

krisskis

Date skied.....1/10/10

Resort skied...Hunter Mtn.

Conditions....freezing cold, nice chalky snow, minimal ice.

Trip report.....The kids and I hit up Hunter on Sunday. Driving up the temps were dropping fast...lowest i saw was 0 My 12 year old daughter was like WTF?? "Im going to freeze!!" I told her..."Dont worry, Mommys got the goods to keep you warm" Got up there by 8am and it was 2 degrees. Bundled the little bugger up and she was good to go. The 16 year old son could care less as long as he was skiing. Then i guess the excitement caught with her and she was telling me i was taking too long to get my jacket on!! Hit the lift by 8:30 and off we went. It was cold all day and had to break out the handwarmers too, but there was minimal wind and occasional sun, so we stayed warm. Thumbs got cold on the lift but as soon as we skiied we were all good. I think the highest temp all day was about 13.
Stayed on the quad for about an hour until the lines got long and then headed over to Minya and East. ROTD. Nice chalky snow and hardly any ice. Which was good because we have shit for edges...LOL. Gotta take those babies in for a tune and sharpen. My daughter was kicking my ass as was my son. Its nice that she can keep up with us now and the fear she always seemed to have on the steeps is going away. My son suggests we head over to the west side. I was a little leary about taking her over there, but she has done wayout down to claires before. We get to the bottom of Claires and wants to know if she can try it....hmmm...ok...lets take a look at it from the lift and see. Saw some gapers doing the slide for life and she looks at me and says....whats wrong with these people??? I wanna do it :) So we did....her first run down claires and she slayed it!!!
ROTD were definately East and Wayout. We skied from 8:30 to 3:30 minus 30 minutes to refuel and warm up. We had a blast and i loved seeing the kids have fun. The little bastrads even managed to not fight all day with each other and decided it was time to laugh at mom for various idiosyncrosies of mine...little bastards!! I dont think ive ever seen them being so nice to each other and not trying to kiil each other...even in the car. Daughter was asleep in the car by the time we got to Tannersville!!
All in all...fantastic day.

Tried to take some pics and video but my camera decided to say F U due to the cold and the battery was shot.

tarponhead

I dont think ive ever seen them being so nice to each other and not trying to kiil each other...even in the car. Daughter was asleep in the car by the time we got to Tannersville!!
All in all...fantastic day.

Tried to take some pics and video but my camera decided to say F U due to the cold and the battery was shot.

Nice TR. Isn't that amazing about skiing and family stuff? My two sons can go to war at times but when skiing its all good.

Up at WF during Christmas week one day it was so cold it killed my cellphone battery until I went inside and warmed it up.