• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mountain - COVID

mdog5

Hello everyone - new to the forum and a bit of a long shot, but wondering if anyone has been to Hunter mountain recently and observed their COVID protocols? How's it looking there? I am planning a quick trip the wed-thurs-fri after presidents day in lieu of a west coast trip we do every year. Figured it was a decent opportunity to give the castskills a try.... Not ideal, but I'm hoping that good COVID protocols plus hopefully smaller mid week crowds (despite a holiday week) will make for the best experience possible. Any feedback?

Thanks

Jersey Skier

Hello everyone - new to the forum and a bit of a long shot, but wondering if anyone has been to Hunter mountain recently and observed their COVID protocols? How's it looking there? I am planning a quick trip the wed-thurs-fri after presidents day in lieu of a west coast trip we do every year. Figured it was a decent opportunity to give the castskills a try.... Not ideal, but I'm hoping that good COVID protocols plus hopefully smaller mid week crowds (despite a holiday week) will make for the best experience possible. Any feedback?

Thanks
I was there last Wednesday. This photo is the line out the door to the parking lot to pick up lift tickets purchased online. So still plenty crowded. The lift lines themselves weren't long but I'd say a good 20% of the people don't pull up their masks until they are towards the front of the line and visible to the ticket scanners. Also, many people are just wearing regular ski masks which have holes for the mouth and nose.

IMG_9726.jpg

mdog5

Thanks very much for this. This is a bit concerning, and good point on the ski masks with the holes - I didn't even think about that. How was the lodge? Anyhow - . if that's what it looks like on a random Wednesday, then I am guessing wed-thurs and friday post presidents day will be much worse.

I will say that skiing is still considered a low risk outside activity - even if people aren't perfect with the masks outdoors. But still - that looks like a real mess.

Jersey Skier

Thanks very much for this. This is a bit concerning, and good point on the ski masks with the holes - I didn't even think about that. How was the lodge? Anyhow - . if that's what it looks like on a random Wednesday, then I am guessing wed-thurs and friday post presidents day will be much worse.

I will say that skiing is still considered a low risk outside activity - even if people aren't perfect with the masks outdoors. But still - that looks like a real mess.
Lodge is fine. You can make a reservation for a table and they are spread far apart. Seems really empty inside compared to normal. Vail food sucks and is overpriced. I miss Hunter's chili stuffed baked potato.

ScottySkis

Their is also 3 other. hills in Catskill s
I have ski this year but in normal year plattekill is best one only open Friday to Sunday

Jersey Skier

Their is also 3 other. hills in Catskill s
I have ski this year but in normal year plattekill is best one only open Friday to Sunday
I haven't figured out how to buy a lift ticket for Belleayre this season. The website always says "something went wrong." I've tried emailing them and get no replies. I'd stick with Hunter over Windham. I wish Plattekill were open on Wednesdays since that is when I usually ski.

mdog5

Fair enough.. should I try windham instead? I always hope that the presidents 'holiday week' is better than others since not all schools have off that week - I know it is a mix in NJ.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Thanks
Just wanted to say Welcome to the AlpineZone!