• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I’m looking for fast cruising skis and local shop recommends k2 mindbender 89 ti and nordica enforcer 88

ColdRain&Snow

They have Marker griffin and Solomon warden bindings, a few other brands.

I went to gmol after thanksgiving and have new Rossignol hi speed 130 boots, balanced and with his custom footbed.

Skis are in the 170s range, I’m 6’ 240+/-,

more plus in the winter :rolleyes:

I don’t ski glades or moguls anymore, mostly fast cruising and steep runs.

I’d like to support a local business, so I’d like to stick with what they stock.

Thanks for any input.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I didn't ski bumps or trees any more, I'd be in something a lot narrower than what was recommended to you.

I ski a Head iRally for such conditions. I have a set of Nordica Steadfast for trees and ungroomed terrain. Similar dimensions to the Enforcer. They carve well enough, but aren't in the same league as my Heads.

Generally speaking I think people (especially in the East) are on skis too wide for the conditions they normally encounter. I just shake my head seeing people on 100+ waist skis ripping groomers.

ColdRain&Snow

If I didn't ski bumps or trees any more, I'd be in something a lot narrower than what was recommended to you.

I ski a Head iRally for such conditions. I have a set of Nordica Steadfast for trees and ungroomed terrain. Similar dimensions to the Enforcer. They carve well enough, but aren't in the same league as my Heads.

Generally speaking I think people (especially in the East) are on skis too wide for the conditions they normally encounter. I just shake my head seeing people on 100+ waist skis ripping groomers.

I’ve been out of the loop for a while regarding equipment, but I noticed a lot of skiers with wide boards now.

I’m still skiing on old Volkl supersports :whistle:

jimmywilson69

It depends what you really want to do. DHS would say I'm skiing a ski way to wide (96 in the waist) all of the time. The reality is for me that its really only too wide when there is boiler plate. I don't have race quality carving technique, and at 45 I don't strive to. I use a K2 Apache Outlaw (88 in the waist) for those "hard days". Again many would say that's too wide, but I've demoed some more traditional carvers and they honestly feel rather unsteady at the higher speeds I tend to ski at. I'm sure this is due to my poor carving technique, but we already covered that I'm not worried about that.

Ideally you should demo the ski you want to buy if you can. I demoed the Elan Ripsticks I ski now on fairly shitty hardpack Central PA ski day and they were the best ski for me. Since then I've skied them in all kinds of conditions and hard boiler plate is really where they just don't perform all that well.

wa-loaf

I've got the Mindbender 90ti (just the previous version of the 89) and they are a perfect all round new england ski. I ski them in a 184 and I'm 5'9". I might pick something more carving oriented if all you want to do is ski groomers, but the mindbender will be great if you ski some light powder or get into crud and spring conditions.

ColdRain&Snow

It depends what you really want to do. DHS would say I'm skiing a ski way to wide (96 in the waist) all of the time. The reality is for me that its really only too wide when there is boiler plate. I don't have race quality carving technique, and at 45 I don't strive to. I use a K2 Apache Outlaw (88 in the waist) for those "hard days". Again many would say that's too wide, but I've demoed some more traditional carvers and they honestly feel rather unsteady at the higher speeds I tend to ski at. I'm sure this is due to my poor carving technique, but we already covered that I'm not worried about that.

Ideally you should demo the ski you want to buy if you can. I demoed the Elan Ripsticks I ski now on fairly shitty hardpack Central PA ski day and they were the best ski for me. Since then I've skied them in all kinds of conditions and hard boiler plate is really where they just don't perform all that well.

They carry elan ripsticks, not sure why they weren’t suggested.

I’m going to stratton next Monday and may see what the shops have for rent/demo.

wa-loaf

They carry elan ripsticks, not sure why they weren’t suggested.

I’m going to stratton next Monday and may see what the shops have for rent/demo.
Ripsticks are supposed to be really nice. But they are asymmetrical and have a left and right.

KustyTheKlown

i have very little insight into skis <100 mm, but i will say i saw someone riding kastle fx95s yesterday, and it was the first sub100 ski I've seen in a long time that piqued my interest. looks like a really good eastern ski to my eyes.

zyk

I moved from a 165 to a 179 for groomers. Bit of a learning curve but I wouldn't go back. I kept the 165 for trees and such.

Oh and I'm 5'5" and normally (rolling heavy right now) 170 pounds.

djd66

I just bought the Elan Wingman. More of a carving ski than the Rip Stick. I have limited time on them, but what I did ski, they performed well. I'm 5'10 and I ski the 184. Based on your size, i would definitely not go smaller.

ColdRain&Snow

I've got the Mindbender 90ti (just the previous version of the 89) and they are a perfect all round new england ski. I ski them in a 184 and I'm 5'9". I might pick something more carving oriented if all you want to do is ski groomers, but the mindbender will be great if you ski some light powder or get into crud and spring conditions.

This sounds like what I want.

2Planker

They have Marker griffin and Solomon warden bindings, a few other brands.

I went to gmol after thanksgiving and have new Rossignol hi speed 130 boots, balanced and with his custom footbed.

Skis are in the 170s range, I’m 6’ 240+/-,

more plus in the winter :rolleyes:

I don’t ski glades or moguls anymore, mostly fast cruising and steep runs.

I’d like to support a local business, so I’d like to stick with what they stock.

Thanks for any input.
Way too short for you. Unless you really suck.....