• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

If you live in the greater hartford area, where would you go skiing this weekend?

DPhelan

Below are the deals and open mountains I've found so far. Anybody heard anything else or want to weigh in?
I live in Canton and my legs aren't ready for a full day of knee dropping yet. Mohawk and Butternut would be the easiest drive, but probably the least open terrain

Liftopia deals

Stratton: $51Mt. Snow: $49
Jiminy: $48
Okemo: $68

Regular Priced Options

Mohawk: $58 (3/4 open trails are greens)
Butternut opens Saturday: $45
Bromley: $68 (they were cheaper last weekend, but were still listed as $68 on website)

Tin

Find a friend and go to Killington for the 2 for 1. Worth the hike. Check out my report from yesterday. Cascade should be a go for the weekend. Do some squats and wall sits and get the legs ready.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
When comparing the Killington Okemo snow reports, I found that Okemo and Killington have the same amount of trail millage, but Okemo has 100 more acres and more top to bottom routes.

mister moose

When comparing the Killington Okemo snow reports, I found that Okemo and Killington have the same amount of trail millage, but Okemo has 100 more acres and more top to bottom routes.
This happens every year.

Killington is farther north, with more high altitude terrain. They have been pounding the mountain at every opportunity, and have been at it longer than Okemo. I cannot believe Okemo has blown more snow.

That leaves 2 possibilities:
Okemo is painting thinner.
Okemo has opened more easy terrain, which requires less snow depth. See above.

Killington has 6 black runs open with lots of cover: Upper Downdraft, Superstar, Mousetrap, lower Skyelark, Highline and East Fall open, with Cascade on the cusp. Plus all the other stuff. Compare that to what Okemo has. Choose your terrain, choose your drive time, choose your lift ticket deal, choose wisely.

Door to door to K is 2 3/4 hr, plus a gas stop.

C-Rex

Killington is definitely the best bet. The terrain has been skiing really well, they have more open than anyone by far (I don't know how Okemo keeps saying they have the most open), and with the roads in good shape the drive is much quicker than it will be later in the winter. Last weekend I made it there from Hartford in 2.5 hours with a gas/bathroom/food stop on the way. Throw in the 2 for 1 deal and it's a no-brainer. I'll be heading up Saturday.

ScottySkis

I thinking of Mountainsnow for Sunday but that because I can get their in 3.5 hours. For both days go a future North to Killington they started making snow months ago.

ScottySkis

sick! nice find. anybody else heading north this weekend? and is anything in NY worth considering?

Maybe by Buffalo.

Catskills has been very warm for any snow making we have several trails open at the 3 big Catskills hills. Don't think Gore and Whitesface have to many trails open yet.

dlague

Okemo. They've got a lot of terrain open. And they added Jackson Gore today. Most terrain in the East, I do believe.

Yup, once they open they crank on the snow making and opening trails! I watch their interactive map just to see updates!

Madroch

After some PT on the hammy, considering an easy goes it day at okemo tomorrow..... Nice easy turns Mach snail.. Just to get the blood flowing. Still a little worried about the acl risk, so may reconsider. Only concern is it will be concrete- And fast. I'll get up and see how it feel as- and how much snow fell of course...