• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Intel vs. AMD Processors

HD333

Anybody have an opinion either way? I know Intel is the houshold name, but it it worth the extra dough?

My laptop met the wall today and is no longer functioning.

From what I hear/read AMD is fine it just doesn't have the marketing machine behind it.

dmc

Intel is for fan boys... :)

These days it's tough to tell what's in your computer.. unless you have some sort of crazy video demands most chips should suffice weather intel

dmc

Well, I work for AMD, so I have an opinion... Could be a bit biased though.

AMD: :thumbup:
Intel: :thumbdown:

i haven't really cared what's been inside my PCs since the Pentium III... :)

i have a buddy thats a scientist for Intel..
he does things like measuring the effects of cosmic radiation on micro chips... cool job...

Puck it

Use to work for Intel many moons ago in Santa Clara. Developed for the process for the first Pentiums. Back then I would say go Intel, but now no real differences in performance. Go with the best price that suits your needs.

HD333

Thanks for validating what I thought. Picked up a HG Envy with AMD A10 processor for about almost $100 less than basically the same laptop with Intel i5.

So far so good, but it has only been used for about an hour so far.

Windows 8 is going to take some getting used to for this Neanderthal.

dmc

I've saved all my CPUs since my 486...
Before I toss them out - I rip out the chip...

dmc

Ummmm... why?

ummmm.
Cause i'm a geek...?

Why do people save anything...?? At least I still don't have the whole computer sitting around like some still do...

HD333

ummmm.
Cause i'm a geek...?

Why do people save anything...?? At least I still don't have the whole computer sitting around like some still do...
Speaking of having the whole computer lying around how do I dispose of this broken one? It starts up but I can't acces anything. I am sure someone smarter than me could figure out hiw to access stuff. Do I smash it with a hammer and really kill it? I guess I want to know hiw to wipe out any personal info without being able to access any programs or the web.

Puck it

Speaking of having the whole computer lying around how do I dispose of this broken one? It starts up but I can't acces anything. I am sure someone smarter than me could figure out hiw to access stuff. Do I smash it with a hammer and really kill it? I guess I want to know hiw to wipe out any personal info without being able to access any programs or the web.

The easy way is to remove the hard drive and instead of smashing it. Take a permanent magnet with a strong field and move it over the hard drive on the top and bottom. Data is wiped.

bvibert

Staff member

The easy way is to remove the hard drive and instead of smashing it. Take a permanent magnet with a strong field and move it over the hard drive on the top and bottom. Data is wiped.

...then you can smash it, if it makes you feel better... :smash:

KevinF

If it's a desktop, then just take the hard-drive out and stash it in a closet forever. Really, truly wiping a hard-drive clean so that somebody can't get at it is not trivial.

If you're handy with tools, you can get the drive out of a laptop as well.

wa-loaf

I thought if you really wanted to destroy it you take out the hard drive and drill a few holes through it.