• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak is a figment of our imagination

i had a little indy VT/NH ski week planned this past winter, but bailed on it due to a warm up, then rain, and flash freeze.

I wasnt having great luck finding basic lodging around Jay. does that exist? Like your basic run of the mill hotel? i know theres lodging at Jay, but i dont need the water park BS.

crank

Used to be.

Just stay in Newport it's about 20 or so minutes drive, cheap with a ton of eating options.

Zand

Yeah the stuff at the mountain is expensive and then anything else within an hour or so is all B&Bs in Jay Village and Montgomery or rather dumpy motels in places like Newport.

My last couple trips I ended up just staying at the La Quinta in St Albans which is about 50 mins away, but an easy ride (other than that dumb intersection of 104 and 105 just outside of the city...good luck stopping at that red light during a snowstorm because I sure didn't!) and it's a nice hotel with lots of options nearby for food. One of these years I'll probably check out a B&B in Montgomery but those also get quick expensive midwinter.

Edit: I do see the motel in Newport has been updated since the last time I've been by there so maybe that's a viable option now? Place gave me the creeps when I drove by when I was in college.

urungus

i had a little indy VT/NH ski week planned this past winter, but bailed on it due to a warm up, then rain, and flash freeze.

I wasnt having great luck finding basic lodging around Jay. does that exist? Like your basic run of the mill hotel? i know theres lodging at Jay, but i dont need the water park BS.

BodeMiller1

True Dat, I hiked the hill in the summer and went back and couldn't find it.

Attachments

• SSIc..jpg
    SSIc..jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 8

BodeMiller1

I had a little indy VT/NH ski week planned this past winter, but bailed on it due to a warmup, then rain, and flash freeze.

I wasn't having great luck finding basic lodging around Jay. does that exist? Like your basic run of the mill hotel? I know there's lodging at Jay, butt [sic]. IU don't need the water park BS.

BenedictGomez

I believe they now require proof of Canadian residency to pay with Canadian currency.

Living in northern Vermont, even in Burlington, was an adjustment for a kid who grew up between Philly & Manhattan. As such, I went to Montreal 2 to 4 times per month & know that city like the back of my hand. I genuinely don't think it would have been a problem getting a Canadian ID, but admittedly I could be wrong if it's not as easy as getting a faked US state ID. If that rule (must have Canuck ID) existed back-in-the-day, I definitely would have made the attempt! Fond memories I have of skiing Jay Peak before a conman ruined it. You parked in a surface lot, and the place you used to buy lift tickets was literally the size of one of those photomat booths like back in the 70s or 80s. And that was it. After you got past that it was straight to the lifts.

Yeah the stuff at the mountain is expensive and then anything else within an hour or so is all B&Bs in Jay Village and Montgomery or rather dumpy motels in places like Newport.

My last couple trips I ended up just staying at the La Quinta in St Albans which is about 50 mins away, but an easy ride (other than that dumb intersection of 104 and 105 just outside of the city...good luck stopping at that red light during a snowstorm because I sure didn't!) and it's a nice hotel with lots of options nearby for food. One of these years I'll probably check out a B&B in Montgomery but those also get quick expensive midwinter.

Edit: I do see the motel in Newport has been updated since the last time I've been by there so maybe that's a viable option now? Place gave me the creeps when I drove by when I was in college.
good to know about the La Quinta, that was an option the year before, when i was planning on coming from that direction. this years trip i was coming from the other direction, so it wasnt making sense to go to the La Quinta.