• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Keurig and K-cups Tirade

Puck it

I hate the f-ing thing. The wife thinks it is the greatest. I am consistently buying coffee for it. I do have the reusable filters but that is a pain in the arse. I have resorted to just buying it on Amazon Prime, because I can't find the kind that I like. $0.60 for a cup.
And I am constantly filling it up with water and I need to brew the large size and then the smallest size to fill my cups.

Anyone else like or dislike this thing?

gmcunni

love it, we stock up on k cups @ costco. wife also finds deals on keurig.com

$38.99 for 80 cups @ costco

i find that i can get a large + medium cup of coffee from a single k cup. if i have a large enough mug it tastes great, if i brew it in 2 diff bathces the 2nd is a little weak but not bad.

Edd

I don't own one but I like them fine. Single serve makes a lot of sense.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
We love our cappuccino/espresso, for that we use Nespresso, which has their own pods and I love them. But, for regular coffee I just use a drip machine.

Puck it

I can not anyone the carries the kona k-cup anymore. I drink the Lake and Lodge by Green Mtn

ctenidae

I'm not a fan of the single serves, overall. We have a Nespresso in the office, which takes forever, and you can't just brew a cup of coffee. We had some of the Flavia machines that use a pouch, which were OK for a quick cup, but not awesome. We also have the big mondo coffee urn brewers, and they make Dunkin and Starbucks, so my office cup o'joe is usually a cup of Dunkin from the urn.

At home my wife drinks decaf, which isn't a problem during the week. We have a Bunn drip machine that works like a restaurant machine, and will make as small as a 4 cup (1.5 mugs) pot. I get up first, and brew a small pot for myself. In the amount of time it takes to feed the kid, I usually have about 1/2 a cup, use the rest of the pot for a refill before heading upstairs for S/S/S. When I come back down, I set the pot up for 6 cups of decaf, so it's ready when my wife comes down.

On the weekends, I have a French press that I use for my coffee, makes about 2.5 mugs, which is perfect, and decaf goes in the Bunn.

Maybe it would be easier to use k-cups or something, but with the Bunn being good at making small quantities, and preserving the option of making a monster pot, I just don't think it's worth the hassles with the single serve jobs.

Puck it

Mmmmmm, French press coffee. The best coffee that I ever had was French press on the Riviera in Beaulieu Sur Mer. It may have been the location too, because Provence wines even tasted good.

Cheese

I'm not a DD or Starbucks regular so I switched from home auto-drip to K-cups and enjoy it. I did the online K-cup thing first through Green Mountain then through Big Cat when they were cheaper. More recently I pick them up at Bed Bath and Beyond as they have a good selection and their coupons just keep coming in the weekly paper. I try to keep the cost near 50 cents per cup.

JDMRoma

Just got one 4 months ago, wife was wanting one for years.
I was the hold out and now I totally Love it ! But I need the Bold flavors, Dark Magic or Double Black Diamond !!
local store sells them for $12.99 for a 24 pack mix and match or by the box. I do seem to be spending more
but no more burnt coffee or wasting of any kind. Its a win win for me !

jrmagic

We have one in the VT condo. Not crazy abiut it but its pretty convenient. Its a PITA though if there's several people so then we break out the old fashioned stove top perculator pot.

Scruffy

Correct me if I'm wrong; but aren't these pod coffee makers an environmental nightmare? I'm thinking of the over packaging here. Each cup joe needs it's own plastic and foil package, its crazy.

gmcunni

Correct me if I'm wrong; but aren't these pod coffee makers an environmental nightmare? I'm thinking of the over packaging here. Each cup joe needs it's own plastic and foil package, its crazy.

The new Keurig attempts to address this. the cups are recyclable for the new VUE machine, you peal the foil off and recycle the rest.

snoseek

The quality is ok i guess but for the money you spend on these little cups of marginal quality coffee you could buy double the amount of higher end coffee and just press it. If you don't have time to deal with a french press or make a pot of coffee then there's definitely some life evaluating to be done imo.

I will say the reusable filters are kinda cool.

Puck it

And global warming!