• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Large number of upper mountain operations positions open this year. Let’s speculate!

FBGM

Director of mountain ops, mountain ops manager, plus some GM roles - has to be 15+ of those openings right know across the country and major resorts. Woodward, Sierra, Breck, Brighton, Whiteface and more.

More then usual.

My speculation? People switching resorts, retiring and lack of pay compared to hours you have to work.

???

2Planker

Director of mountain ops, mountain ops manager, plus some GM roles - has to be 15+ of those openings right know across the country and major resorts. Woodward, Sierra, Breck, Brighton, Whiteface and more.

More then usual.

My speculation? People switching resorts, retiring and lack of pay compared to hours you have to work.

???
Are there really enough Food & Bev managers to fill all those positions ??
Oh sorry.... Not Vail resorts

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Same theory as has been prevalent as long as the ski industry has existed....you can take your skills into the non-skiing private sector and make double-digit percentage more.

It's also a lot easier to get out now with record low unemployment and remote work options compared to say, pre-covid.

Also a lot of long-timers left the industry from/during COVID. I'm sure it's not as fun for the GM's and upper management vets when the few guys on the lift crew, instructors, patrollers etc who have been there as long as they have aren't there anymore.

JimG.

Staff member
Losing all of your experienced workers makes it mighty tough to run a business.

catskillman

Which explains why Russ at Hunter still has a job. Lack of real talent.........

BenedictGomez

From last week's ADP jobs report:

Annual pay increase for people remaining in their current role - 7.6%
Annual pay increase for people who quit & took a different job - 16.1%.

This spread has persisted recently with the current tight employment, to the point that if you DGAF about your current job, you probably should look to change jobs (or ask for a decent raise).

Last edited: