• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Last ski season 2021-2022 was the busiest US ski season ever with almost 61 million snow visits

BodeMiller1

I have been on that trail in the same condition. What a cluster fuck. Why have that open at all.
I should have known the sun was setting. I went back to hike the trail the following summer. It's all ledge and springs. Here's my point: When a ski area makes 40 feet of snow atop natural... How does this effect the aquifers? 🎲

1. It overcharges them.
  2. This will cause the rock to fracture much faster.
  3. I forget what 3 was for.
  4. How much snow is blown in The White Mt. and other ranges from PA to ME? 80,000 tons or more. At any rate, it's a huge amount.
I remember going through notch to Cannon and the snow was blowing over the Old Man face. I'm thinking, this is going to change the mountain...

There are many places that hold ice year round in N.E. here are a couple:

1. The caves on the top of Stowe.
  2. Under the boulders on the A. T. Specifically The Mahoosuc under Goose Eye Mt.
  3. Lost River.
And these are obvious, most of us know them and they know us by name.

Butt yea, lucky I left the trail on two feet.

Meow

BodeMiller1

Because it is one of the best trails at SR.
"Double Black Diamond" so it's always Ski at your own risk.

Guests don't bitch if it's open, But they sure will if it's closed....
Yep, I try not to duck ropes, butt if it's closed to save powder for the weekend. I think I own it.

Also yep, respect the extra diamond. It's there...

I love it when this stuff loads,,,,, Meow

Attachments

• Yepp.jpg
    Yepp.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0

wa-loaf

I didn't contribute much to the tally last year. Hoping to over compensate this season.

Smellytele

Because it is one of the best trails at SR.
"Double Black Diamond" so it's always Ski at your own risk.

Guests don't bitch if it's open, But they sure will if it's closed....
I like it when it isn’t a skating rink. There would have been no one complaining it was closed the day I speak of.

machski

I like it when it isn’t a skating rink. There would have been no one complaining it was closed the day I speak of.
Shock is tough, very easy for them to slide that trail making machine made over natural. Slides on it have even swept skier's DH with them (shallow, but deep enough avalanches to carry unluckily folks a few hundred feet down in the slough). Sometimes they make it too dense probably trying to prevent slides. All in all, it is one of the toughest trails to make at SR.

BodeMiller1

Shock is tough, very easy for them to slide that trail making machine made over natural. Slides on it have even swept skier's DH with them (shallow, but deep enough avalanches to carry unluckily folks a few hundred feet down in the slough). Sometimes they make it too dense probably trying to prevent slides. All in all, it is one of the toughest trails to make at SR.
Is it just me or did Less Otten "copy" Devils Fiddle and Outer Limits when he went to Sunday River. Killington? The pitch and having a two tough trails far skier's left.
There are no coincidences in skiing. :eek:

Bear Peak is to White Cap as ...

Edit: One of the coolest things to happen in all of Corporate history; when Killington let Sunday River open first 10 or so years ago. This was when SR had a major lift failure. Did it cost K anything financially? No, butt this kind of thing seems to have flown with the Corp. Raiders.

Back on topic, Meow

Attachments

• KILLINGTON.pdf
    12 MB · Views: 4
  • SR_TrailMap2021_2022.jpg
    SR_TrailMap2021_2022.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 3

BodeMiller1

Always nice to read your posts sir. I'd like to ski with you. Butt, it's hard to catch up with guys like you. Butt, I'm closing in on it.

Think Snow

Newpylong

Is it just me or did Less Otten "copy" Devils Fiddle and Outer Limits when he went to Sunday River. Killington? The pitch and having a two tough trails far skier's left.
There are no coincidences in skiing. :eek:

Bear Peak is to White Cap as ...

Edit: One of the coolest things to happen in all of Corporate history; when Killington let Sunday River open first 10 or so years ago. This was when SR had a major lift failure. Did it cost K anything financially? No, butt this kind of thing seems to have flown with the Corp. Raiders.

Back on topic, Meow
In regards to White Cap vs Bear, yes I believe he was quoted as saying that is what he was trying to replicate.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Guy was a tremendously awful trail designer; assuming he had that kind of influence. Shockwave is a great trail and Obsession isn't too bad, but overall he swung and missed on some great opportunities.

2Planker

In regards to White Cap vs Bear, yes I believe he was quoted as saying that is what he was trying to replicate.
There was more to that quote...

Such as Less crowds, and friendlier people
Guy was a tremendously awful trail designer; assuming he had that kind of influence. Shockwave is a great trail and Obsession isn't too bad, but overall he swung and missed on some great opportunities.
The idea came from a few of us when Skip King was our PD in 89/90. Took another 3 years to happen...
Burt Mills was "Mt Manager" at the time and ran that & Aurora development simultaneously.
Les didn't have much influence, except for talkin it up. Which he was pretty good at.