• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Le Massif

Breakout12

Hey y'all!

I'm trying to plan a trip to Le Massif. While photos that I've seen don't make the place look too advanced, the trail map looks like it is mostly single and double blacks. Can anyone comment on the overall difficulty level? Feel free to drop any other knowledge that you might have as well, such as typical lift lines on weekends, etc.

steamboat1

There's nothing terribly steep at Le Massif. I'll also add that doesn't matter. You'll have a great time skiing there. The few times I skied there was always during Presidents week & I never encountered any lift lines at all. They also don't celebrate Presidents week in Canada. The double chair lookers right probably has the most difficult terrain on the mountain

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
There's nothing terribly steep at Le Massif. I'll also add that doesn't matter. You'll have a great time skiing there. The few times I skied there was always during Presidents week & I never encountered any lift lines at all. They also don't celebrate Presidents week in Canada. The double chair lookers right probably has the most difficult terrain on the mountain
I respectfully disagree. The Charlevoix is the steepest, perhaps scariest, groomed run I've skied and next to it is "the 42", one of the steepest bump runs I've ever been on.

If that's not enough, try their side-country area called Mont Liguori. I suspect if Le Massif were not so far out of the way, it would rank with the best in the northeast. Unfortunately, most people who actually rate areas have never been to Le Massif, so it doesn't receive the kudos it deserves.

crank

Lots of nice, legitimate blacks and plenty of blues. Other than the "42" which I have not skied there is nothing super steep. Their "side country" area is really just 2 or 3 nice glades that I would classify as a good , long single blacks. There is a hike of close to a mile to ski them and you can ski back to the bottom of the gondola from where they come out. The woods are just too tight to ski...I did see one set of tracks heading off the hiking trail but that was it.

Mont Sainte Anne has a bunch of really nice steep mogul runs down the front so you may want to ski there as well. Both Le Massif and Ste. Anne get busy and have lines on the weekends.

ironhippy

Lots of nice, legitimate blacks and plenty of blues. Other than the "42" which I have not skied there is nothing super steep. Their "side country" area is really just 2 or 3 nice glades that I would classify as a good , long single blacks. There is a hike of close to a mile to ski them and you can ski back to the bottom of the gondola from where they come out. The woods are just too tight to ski...I did see one set of tracks heading off the hiking trail but that was it.

Mont Sainte Anne has a bunch of really nice steep mogul runs down the front so you may want to ski there as well. Both Le Massif and Ste. Anne get busy and have lines on the weekends.

Agree with everything here, they are both great mountains.
I've stayed at Mount St Anne, skied the day at Le Massif and then the night at Mount St Anne, that worked out really nice.

goldsbar

I suspect if Le Massif were not so far out of the way, it would rank with the best in the northeast.

It's only a bit under 9 hours from my house in NJ according to Google Maps ;-) If I'm going to do that, the claimed 32 hour drive to Alta is more enticing.

OP - the place has peaked my interest before (0.5% chance I'll go in my lifetime). Never read a negative review regardless of how steep the terrain is or isn't.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
In praising Le Massif, I was in no way minimizing the excellence of Mt. St. Anne. However, I was so impressed with Le Massif last time (also first time and only time to date), that I didn't take a day to go over to Mt. St. Anne.

I disagree with "crank" on the absence of good lines on Mt. Liguori and found it well worth the long walk which we wound up doing once each day.

I must also agree with "goldsbar". Unless it is your goal to ski every 2k vertical area in the northeast (and it was mine), it is hard to bypass VT to go the extra distance.

snowngr

Interesting that Le Charlevoix is now a triple black diamond. Take that, Smuggler's Notch.

crank

You may have misunderstood me. I like the runs, but it is a limited area consisting of a few glades... not on par with the side country that can be found off of Jay or Stowe. They are nice glades and I would classify them as black diamond. I like Le Massif a great deal and have made the drive to the Quebec areas several times over the years. I always break up the trip though skiing in Vt or NY or even ME on the way up and back. I must say I do like a good road trip.

ironhippy

Interesting that Le Charlevoix is now a triple black diamond. Take that, Smuggler's Notch.

they added an extra 115 feet of fill to the top of that trail. When I was there last February, they had it all closed with a big sign that just said "Avalanche"

gores95

Hey y'all!

I'm trying to plan a trip to Le Massif. While photos that I've seen don't make the place look too advanced, the trail map looks like it is mostly single and double blacks. Can anyone comment on the overall difficulty level? Feel free to drop any other knowledge that you might have as well, such as typical lift lines on weekends, etc.

Where do you live? Seems like a LONG way away.......

steamboat1

Where do you live? Seems like a LONG way away.......
It's a 1/2 hour shorter than it used to be. Well maybe not. When I first skied there you parked on top, skied down one of several runs, then rode a school bus back up. Next several times I skied there parking & facilities were at the bottom, A 1/2 hour longer drive from the top. Last time I was there parking & facilities were at the top saving a 1/2 hour drive. The road going to down to the St. Lawrence then back west to the base area was an interesting drive though. Had a cop pull me over & talking French to me, had no idea what he was saying. Through hand jestures I finally figured out he wanted me to put my seat belt on. No ticket.

Breakout12

Great replies. Thanks!

I'm more concerned about having too much challenging terrain. Some is nice, but I don't want a whole day's worth.

I’m coming from Toronto, about 9 hours. I know that there are other places within that distance, but I’ve been focused on Massif for a few years, and would like to make this the year that I go. Also, I just realized that our dollar sucks again! At .82, the exchange rate does start to factor into any decision regarding American ski areas. We usually go to New York state, but this year we might explore Canada east. I’m also considering Sutton and Owl’s Head.