• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Learning to Ski (2013-2014)

SnowBro

Hello everybody. I've decided to learn how to ski this year. Any advice or helpful tips to make the experience easier? I've been a snowboarder for about 2 years and love it to death. I hear skiing is harder to master in the long run while snowboarding is harder to pick up initially. Correct me if I'm wrong. Personally I learned to snowboard very quickly and consider myself somewhere in the realm of intermediate to advanced. I'm looking forward to progressing as a rider and learning to ski.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Yeah, definitely take a lesson. Don't get sucked into the idea that you can just go to the top of the mountain and point em down the hill.

My advice is to go to a mountain on a weekday afternoon and get a group lesson. It will probably be only you in the class, or maybe one other person. That way, you can get the personal attention of a private lesson at a group lesson price.

ScottySkis

Lessons for sure what area of North east do you live. My cousin GF wants me to teach her and I said she should take lessons I go with them but not try teach someone.

SnowBro

Lessons for sure what area of North east do you live. My cousin GF wants me to teach her and I said she should take lessons I go with them but not try teach someone.

I'm in RI. Closest park is Yawgoo Valley. I'll be heading up to Wachusett a lot this season so I'll probably learn there. Planning to head up to NH, VT, and Maine a few times during Dec. and Jan. but I'll most likely be snowboarding during those trips.

ScottySkis

I'm in RI. Closest park is Yawgoo Valley. I'll be heading up to Wachusett a lot this season so I'll probably learn there. Planning to head up to NH, VT, and Maine a few times during Dec. and Jan. but I'll most likely be snowboarding during those trips.
Well lessons for sure If you travel probably have more fun doing what you know, and take lessons at your local hill. Shape skis are great and you do in a few days what you used take weeks.

hammer

Crowds aside, I've always thought Wachusett was set up well for beginners. Definitely take lessons the first few times and enjoy, don't get too goal oriented with what trails you want to go on.

dlague

Considering that you have snowboardered before there will be some familiarity! A lesson or two will boost your ability then it is all about confidence! I did the opposite a few years back and found snowboarding to be a little more foreign since both feet were strapped to one board whereas with skis if one ski catches an edge you can still recover. Snowboarding not so much. Skiing is still my main stay!

Last edited:

freeski919

You're spot on about the differences between picking up skiing and snowboarding. I do both, and instruct both. Skiing is much easier to start, then gets harder to improve. Snowboarding just the opposite. I absolutely agree with the idea of taking lessons, especially the idea of taking them midweek if possible.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Yawgoo and Wachusett are perfect for practicing. Don't spend a lot of money on equipment. The most important thing to learning is lessons and repetition. Just get out there, the more the better. You'd be surprised how much you can pick up in a single year.

Also, do a pizza and not french fries :)

SnowBro

Crowds aside, I've always thought Wachusett was set up well for beginners. Definitely take lessons the first few times and enjoy, don't get too goal oriented with what trails you want to go on.

I agree. It gets crowded due to its popularity, but during the week it's not so bad. Because my work schedule I'll mostly be taking trips there midweek.

uncleezno

Last year was my first season skiing, with no background in winter sports. I'll echo what everyone else is saying and recommend you try some lessons! Have fun!

Sky

Wachusett, especially now with the HS Quad on the biginner slope, is an excellent place to start. No insult intended. You getting there mid-week is terrific, you'll have the place to yourself...you and the "oldtimers". My wife got back into the sport last season and we spent a lot of time on that beginner slope. It's nice tha they have two seperate trails off that lift dedicated to beginners.

And Ralph's Run is not a huge leap in difficulty, just in length. Enjoy the lesson(s) and the experience.

Lostone

On one hand, it isn't a good idea to go to a big hill to learn. You just won't be able to take advantage of most of it. You'll spend most of the first few days on the bunny hill.

On the other... Heard about Sugarbush's first time to lifetime program?

It is for never-evers. Take 3 beginner lessons in the program and at the completion, you get a season pass.

A GREAT deal!

Other areas might have the same type.