• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Least Favorite Ski Areas

Geoff

snosharkrider said:
hands down i cannot stand mt snow. i'd rather ski (the now defunct) kings ridge then ski at mt snow. if by ski at mt snpow one means stand in lift-lines, go uphill on downhill trails, and watch all the jack-a-ninnies queue up for that lame bar.

Gee. We'll often drive down to Mt Snow from Killington on midweek powder days. Where Killington gets tracked out to ice bumps by 10:30 as every local and every-weekender blows off work to ski, Mt Snow still has lots of pockets of lightly cut-up powder at 3:30. That's the advantage of an intermediate mountain with an intermediate (non-powder skiing) customer base. I wouldn't dream of skiing there on a weekend but it's a superb spot on midweek powder days.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Geoff said:
snosharkrider said:
hands down i cannot stand mt snow. i'd rather ski (the now defunct) kings ridge then ski at mt snow. if by ski at mt snpow one means stand in lift-lines, go uphill on downhill trails, and watch all the jack-a-ninnies queue up for that lame bar.

Gee. We'll often drive down to Mt Snow from Killington on midweek powder days. Where Killington gets tracked out to ice bumps by 10:30 as every local and every-weekender blows off work to ski, Mt Snow still has lots of pockets of lightly cut-up powder at 3:30. That's the advantage of an intermediate mountain with an intermediate (non-powder skiing) customer base. I wouldn't dream of skiing there on a weekend but it's a superb spot on midweek powder days.

Thanks for the tip :wink: :beer:

kickstand

I try not to bash ski areas, but rather realize that each one serves some kind of purpose. I may not agree with or like the purpose each one serves, so I just don't go there.

I do most of my skiing in the eastern Whites. For my purposes, Attitash and Wildcat serve me best. I can go to either one of those places and ski solo for 4-5 hours without totally boring myself, no matter how often I ski there. Cranmore, to me, is a great place for young kids. We have no kids and I find their terrain boring, so I don't go. Same thing with Black (when they have snow). I am not a fan of the lift layout or the crowds at Bretton Woods, but my wife likes it. If she really wants to go there, I will. I love going to Sunday River because of the variety for both of us, but I can't do the hour ride every weekend. It gets old after a while.

Point being, if you're out there skiing/boarding, be happy with it. If you're lucky enough to be in a place where you have choices, be smart about them. And I agree with DMC - don't blast a place because of the weather. There is nothing they can do, and sometimes that overlaps into trail conditions. When it is 40 for 2 days then plummets to 10, not much you can do except sharpen the edges, dig in a little harder and head for apres ski a little earlier.

chuck

Website
www.hans-hall.com
Tough Thread.

I have to agree its all about the day and the experiance. I think my worst time was at Pak City a couple years ago.

Took me a wrong turn not paying attention, Had about 15 minutes of sweet untracked turns. Then found myself on the wrong side of the hill in a big flat freshly fallen snow field. Waste high hiking for an hour and a half. sweet. Slept well that night.

Geoff

chuck said:
Tough Thread.

I have to agree its all about the day and the experiance. I think my worst time was at Pak City a couple years ago.

Took me a wrong turn not paying attention, Had about 15 minutes of sweet untracked turns. Then found myself on the wrong side of the hill in a big flat freshly fallen snow field. Waste high hiking for an hour and a half. sweet. Slept well that night.

Sounds like crappy conditions. 8)

Zand

You guys thought 245' at Yawgoo was small? That's huge compared to the local area around here. Ward Hill in Shrewsbury, MA. 201' of Vertical at that place. Not too bad of a place.

My least favorite area is Killington. I'll give it the 3 O's. Overrated, overhyped, and overpriced.

awf170

skibum1321 said:
awf170 said:
ohhh no :roll: i hate threads like this but there just to much fun to pass up :D

stowe- heard it was just because i went on a weekend but man everything was packed, and the terrian didnt seem that great,some was pretty cool just sees to much traffic though...(this would probably all change if i knew all of the OB stuff though :wink: )

attitrash- went there once when i was like 10 or 11 and thought i was lame... need i saw more

Stowe has some great terrain but as you mentioned it is best midweek and if you know the OB. It's not my favorite mtn but it's definitely up there. Even if you don't go OB there is some good, less crowded stuff on Spruce, although that is about to change....

As for Attitash, I totally agree that it sucks - I went there for the first time last year and hated it. There are no good trails and everything is a boulevard or a flatout.

wow, i just looked at a ton of Trip Reports from stowe on TGR... that is the most insane/awsome lookin ski area in the north east by far, the summit chutes and snowfields look absolutey crazy

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26334&highlight=stowe+mini

ga2ski

I have no clue how I missed this thread earlier. Must have been the car issue last week and all the work that i currently have.

as said by many it depends on the day, conditions, etc. I think all ski areas have positives. For example I hate K on weekends, but love it on a midweek powder day. I have skied Attitash many times and have disliked it, but have had three amazing days there as well.

I guess if I had to pick on it would WV, but I think it is because I have been on day with great conditions and I don't know the locals' trails.

For those of you that dislike SR, I agree with you. It is horrible. Stay at home. The lift lines are really long, especially on midweek powder days(even if you know how to get around them), the conditions are never the best they could be, and the locals trails are horrible. Oh and the worst of them all and the reason i try not the ski there is BobR is there several times a year. :wink: :wink:

dmc

NHpowderhound said:
DMC wrote
I'm even getting bored with some routes at Tuckerman Ravine now.
Try Huntingtons,GG or Kings! Bring an extra pair of undies and a plastic bag! :lol:
((*
*))NHPH

I LOVE the Gulf Of Slides.... Not the craziest lines... But remote enough and steep enough to hold interest..

I'd like to hit Kings someday.. HAd some friends do an interesting day there last season...
Also want to hit Oaks Gulf too...

Vortex

Actually, Ga2ski I get there about 20 times a year. Out of guilt I tell you every now and then. :wink: He is right the place just isn't for you guys. :D

sledhaulingmedic

dmc said:
NHpowderhound said:
DMC wrote
I'm even getting bored with some routes at Tuckerman Ravine now.
Try Huntingtons,GG or Kings! Bring an extra pair of undies and a plastic bag! :lol:
((*
*))NHPH

I LOVE the Gulf Of Slides.... Not the craziest lines... But remote enough and steep enough to hold interest..

I'd like to hit Kings someday.. HAd some friends do an interesting day there last season...
Also want to hit Oaks Gulf too...

Gulf O'Slides is a great spot, particularly on weekends when the liftlines are long at Tuckerman 8) I haven't been in there in about 8 years, but it's a great little cirque with some nice lines. Not as steep as Tuckerman, but still plenty of fun and a classic trail back to the road.

Oakes looks like a great hit too. I hiked over there a few years back and started to ski it and then was "overcome by common sense" and decided skiing it alone wasn't such a great idea.

I never hear anyone talk about the trails on Cardigan and Firescrew. Lots of fun when the snow's good. (Besides, Firescrew has the best name of any mountain in the NE, IMHO).

dmc

I'm going to do some camping up at GOS next winter...

I think it would be an awesome place for me to telemark... Since I'm not really good at it - wouldn't want to test my skillz on super steeps...