• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lift Accident Devils Head, WI

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Rollback is so incredibly dangerous. Hopefully they'll crack down a bit on pre-ops inspection, particularly of the rollback prevention equipment (bullwheel brakes, drop dogs, etc.). If I'm ever on a lift that rolls back for more than a couple of seconds, or starts to gain backward speed......... I'm jumping quick as I can. If you watch that clip on youtube of the NSAA video, you'll see why. BTW... that little clip is from a $250 NSAA video. Surprised it's still kicking around on the internet.

millerm277

Sounds just like the event from the "intentional" destructive test....never thought it would actually happen.

More suprising is that from appearances on their website at least, this isn't some struggling place that you'd expect to be possibly behind on maintaining their equipment that badly...

evantrentful

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/79583412.html

In that article it states that the lift operators werent able to stop the lift immediately (which might imply that they were able to stop it, not that lift itself finally came to a stop). From the first article I posted they make mention of the smell of burning rubber so it sounds like they were able to engage to bull wheel brake, but for whatever reason it continued to rollback even under friction

It's stuff like this that scares the crap out of me riding on Hunter west side lifts. West Mountain also has some sketchy lifts

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
From the first article I posted they make mention of the smell of burning rubber so it sounds like they were able to engage to bull wheel brake, but for whatever reason it continued to rollback even under friction

The only thing I can think of, if that is the case, would be a failed tension system. If the lift lost tension, even with both bullwheel brakes applied and drop dogs in the bullwheel, a full load could probably cause the haul rope to move backward while the drive sheave remained stationary. That would cause your burning rubber smell (friction from haul rope on the bullwheel liner).

Just speculation, though. Need more details.

KevinF

The only thing I can think of, if that is the case, would be a failed tension system. If the lift lost tension, even with both bullwheel brakes applied and drop dogs in the bullwheel, a full load could probably cause the haul rope to move backward while the drive sheave remained stationary. That would cause your burning rubber smell (friction from haul rope on the bullwheel liner).

For those of us who haven't studied chairlift design, what's a drop dog?

bvibert

Staff member
For those of us who haven't studied chairlift design, what's a drop dog?

Basically a large chunk of metal designed to fall onto ramps on top of the bull wheel, or into the bull wheel itself to stop it from rolling backwards.

bvibert

Staff member
If I'm ever on a lift that rolls back for more than a couple of seconds, or starts to gain backward speed......... I'm jumping quick as I can. If you watch that clip on youtube of the NSAA video, you'll see why. BTW... that little clip is from a $250 NSAA video. Surprised it's still kicking around on the internet.

After watching that video for the first time several years ago, that's been my plan too. That's some scary scary stuff right there.

bvibert

Staff member

That sounds like a real possibility. If the anti-rollback devices were all working properly it's about the only way I can think of something like that happening. I'd really like to hear more details on this one.

Highway Star

Sounds just like the event from the "intentional" destructive test....never thought it would actually happen.

More suprising is that from appearances on their website at least, this isn't some struggling place that you'd expect to be possibly behind on maintaining their equipment that badly...

It can and does happen. The main lift at the area I grew up at had a rollback some time in the early 90's.....most people jumped off and were ok, I think one person went around the wheel and had injuries.

People figure out they need to jump rather quickly.....

wa-loaf

Scary, I can see jumping if I'm on my own. Not sure what I would if you were riding with little kids. I guess toss them off yourself. You'd probably never get them on a lift again.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thanks TC!

For those interested here's a clip of the video BMM mentioned:

Those chairs are loaded with weights to simulate people riding the lift.

Interesting

Would like to hear the background behind this test. Obviously a lift slated to be replaced, so let's see how big of a disaster we can make.

What area was the lift at in the video?

bvibert

Staff member
Interesting

Would like to hear the background behind this test. Obviously a lift slated to be replaced, so let's see how big of a disaster we can make.

What area was the lift at in the video?

That clip is part of a whole series of test that were performed. I forget what area it was done at, out west somewhere IIRC. It was definitely being replaced.

The tests were designed to see how certain safety devices would actually work if other devices had failed. IIRC the rollback that occurred was not the intended test at that time. Someone hit the wrong stop button (with other safety systems disengaged) and the lift very quickly reached terminal velocity. They were actually able to repair the lift enough to conduct more of the intended tests the next day, which is pretty amazing in itself.

Ultimately they ended up catching the whole drive terminal on fire (on purpose), and then they pulled down some of the lift towers to see how they would fail (bend, shear off at the base, rip out the footings, etc..). The whole video is really pretty cool.

I'm sure BMM has more insight into the testing behind the video, I've only watched the whole thing once a few years ago.