• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lions, Tigers, Hurricanes, Oh My!

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1404404318.173294.jpg

Starting to look scary. Hurricane Hunters are reporting sustained winds in excess of 100 mph, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Category 2 right now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Crazy....

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/03/us/holiday-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

10533745_10152289563816716_9068306257930921293_n.png

This has got to be one of the earliest hurricanes of the season on record.

jack97

This has got to be one of the earliest hurricanes of the season on record.

Must be all the SUV we are driving or the cows we eat.

BTW, here's the data of when the hurricanes/tropical storms have occurred.

peakofseason.jpg

Cannonball

Must be all the SUV we are driving or the cows we eat.

What's the label for inserting AGW theory into every random/possible conversation? Oh yeah.... "alarmist". It's funny how the people creating the label are the only ones actually performing the behavior.

Anyway,
Impact report from Arthur in the South Shore of MA:
- Friday: almost 4" of rain. Not much wind. I had to bail out a dozen boats boats but no real marine threats.
- Saturday: Significant N winds and early rain. Surf was chest high but sloppy with longshore rips that were PIA and potentially dangerous. Lobster rolls unavailable at the local Pound since guys couldn't get out and fish. Tough break for local economy on a big weekend.
- Sunday: DONE. Flat calm and sunny. Had hoped for some clean swell today but it just wasn't there. Maybe some longterm swell rolling in later in the week?

dlague

Surf's up!

BTW the surf was pretty good on Thursday afternoon and Friday at Nauset Beach. Rather than having typical wave sets with 3-4 in a row with some breaks, the waves were constant and about 10 seconds apart. You had to work at what you got because the waves were powerful when trying to get back out. Best two days of the week surf wise! We got there later on Thursday so unfortunately the waves were cresting and crashing on shore. So actual surfing was limited, bodyboarding was much better. Friday got there prior to low tide and were able to get more surfing and bodyboarding in.

BTW we rode out the storm in a location that was closest to it on the cape (Chatham) - the winds when gusting were pretty interesting but nothing destructive. It was funny to see all the news trucks that were parked at the Coast Guard Light House and Beach in Chatham!

jack97

What's the label for inserting AGW theory into every random/possible conversation? Oh yeah.... "alarmist". It's funny how the people creating the label are the only ones actually performing the behavior.

Almost missed this one..... And yes it is funny, you seem to be in the thick of it as well, more so with the insults and the derogatory remarks you throw out at various posters. That's straight from the alarmist handbook.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Almost missed this one..... And yes it is funny, you seem to be in the thick of it as well, more so with the insults and the derogatory remarks you throw out at various posters. That's straight from the alarmist handbook.

Seems to me that you're the one working AGW into every possible thread. This thread is a good example. I can't think of a single case where I have done that (can you?). So which one of us is the alarmist? I don't own the handbook you referenced, where did you get your copy? Can I grab that on amazon? Seems like it would help me understand your perspective.

Last edited:

jack97

Seems to me that you're the one working AGW into every possible thread. This thread is a good example. I can't think of a single case where I have done that (can you?). So which one of us is the alarmist? I don't own the handbook you referenced, where did you get your copy? Can I grab that on amazon? Seems like it would help me understand your perspective.

came from other threads.... you want start that again?

Cannonball

came from other threads.... you want start that again?

Huh? If you can find a single thread where I brought up AGW first, go right ahead. I think you'll find that this is your topic to be alarmist about. (Bringing into this unrelated thread is ab good example)

Last edited:

jack97

Huh? If you can find a single thread where I brought up AGW first, go right ahead. I think you'll find that this is your topic to be alarmist about. (Bringing into this unrelated thread is ab good example)

Talking about how you're taking the alarmist approach of using insults and ridicule. It reeks of your arrogance which most alarmist have anyways.

Cannonball

Talking about how you're taking the alarmist approach of using insults and ridicule. It reeks of your arrogance which most alarmist have anyways.

Funny, that sounds like an insult to me.

An "Alarmist" is someone who continually raises the alarm. You are the only one continually bringing up the topic and inserting it into every unrelated discussion. We wouldn't even be discussing it if you didn't keep raising the alarm.

jack97

Funny, that sounds like an insult to me.

Take it for what it is..... I'm chuclking about myself, for someone with so much arrogance, who misinterpreted a vid interview and did a 180 flip on ocean being sinks to sources.

An "Alarmist" is someone who continually raises the alarm. You are the only one continually bringing up the topic and inserting it into every unrelated discussion. We wouldn't even be discussing it if you didn't keep raising the alarm.

haha... what alarm is this?

jack97

By the way, been meaning to post this hurricane and storm related plots but work and bantering w/ cb is getting in the way.

Landfall Hurricanes and Cylones have been low.

2013landfallsupdate.jpg

Accumulated Cyclone Energy has been at a low as well.
global_running_ace.jpg

Maybe posting these plots is "alarmist" in the sense that we're in a storm drought and have not been experiencing as many hurricanes in the past. Bastardi et al have correlated this to PDO and AMO cycles from the past. However, based on these cycles, the east coast is due for a big storm.

Last edited:
Tropical Storm Bertha is currently tracking through the Bahamas. It's supposed to slide between the US and Bermuna, intensifying into a minimal hurricane in the process... Surf's up!

fbrissette

Just got back from the Bahamas. Got some really big waves from Cristobal (tropical storm at that point). The diving boats could not go out which was a pain, but we had lots of fun playing in the waves.

The 2014 season is officially over and even though it was quiet, at least we got some eye candy! (Unlike last year...shudder)

Category 4 Major Hurricane Gonzalo
141016-hurricane-gonzalo-345a_cbecda0f2ecfc4b6690fb548c0e33f15.jpg

Category 3 Major Hurricane Edouard
Edouard1.jpg

Category 2 Hurricane Arthur
arthurlandfall.jpg

Season Summary: (Note how far north Gonzalo was able to remain a tropical system)
2014_Atlantic_hurricane_season_summary_map.jpg

Here's to a long and snowy winter!:snow::snow: