• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for Recs - Next Set of Skis

djd66

Are you a western based skier or only skiing one set of sticks vs a quiver?

I think I pulled my M102s out of the closet 5 times last season as a primarily NH based skier. Vast majority of my days for the past five years I'm on Head iRally at 77 under foot. I bought the M102 because they were rated / reviewed as the highest performing ski in the category for carving and edge grip. They pale in comparison at those attributes compared to the iRally. The physics of wide skis just aren't there for it.

And I was an early wide ski adopter. I was on a 110 as my daily driver living in Stowe in 2000. Yes, super fun in powder. But there's just so little of it in the East, my purchases are biased towards hard snow performance above all else.
I'll get my typical 40ish days in next season and the split between my three pairs will be something like

iRally - 20-25 days
Kendo - 15-20
M102 - 5
What is the difference between the iRally and the eRally?

jimmywilson69

when I was out west with my son a few years ago he rented Enforced 100s for the first 4 days. We then skied A-Basin on the way back to Denver for an evening flight so he just rented from A-Basin. They only had Enforcer 94s and he thought they skied totally different. It could've been that he was used to the 100s, I don't know but he was almost instantly not liking the 94s.

Internet Ski Pro

Are you a western based skier or only skiing one set of sticks vs a quiver?
PA skier, definitely not trying to ski on a one ski quiver. i have a few pairs.....well, maybe more than a few....lol, its just happens that 100 is where my stuff starts. might not work for everybody, but it works well for me.
It depends on the ski and the skier DHS. Many of my local friends who can hang anywhere up north or west are on daily drivers in the 95-100 range. We aren't worried about making perfect race turns and we get by plenty well with the often shit conditions we have in PA. My Ripstick 96 has been an amazing 1 quiver ski for me in PA, up north and out west.
This sums it up pretty well. For 95% of conditions at my hill, the enforcer works well for me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
People like what they do, but there's a reason why there is a wide spectrum of ski designs. They aren't designing 100mm + skis thinking hmmmm, these will be perfect for the Poconos. Engineering and physics are what they are.

I can't imagine having the mindset of never buying below 100 in the East unless I was a Northern VT local and skiing only one pair. You're missing out on so many performance advantages by not entertaining the skis that are actually designed for the conditions you regularly encounter.

Quietman

I also have the iRallys and absolutely love them. I also have an older set of iSpeeds and both love to go fast, carve, and have great edge hold. My "wide" skis are the K2 Amp Aftershocks at 86 underfoot. They are better in new or sloppy snow, but still can carve very well. I was recently looking at these used Head Core 99 for powder days, but have decided that we don't have enough pow days in S. NH to justify them. Powder7 also have used eRallys for a reasonable price. I bought my iRallys from them company a few years ago and was very pleased with the condition of the skis.

cdskier

People like what they do, but there's a reason why there is a wide spectrum of ski designs. They aren't designing 100mm + skis thinking hmmmm, these will be perfect for the Poconos. Engineering and physics are what they are.

I can't imagine having the mindset of never buying below 100 in the East unless I was a Northern VT local and skiing only one pair. You're missing out on so many performance advantages by not entertaining the skis that are actually designed for the conditions you regularly encounter.

I ski primarily in Northern VT and both my pairs of skis are under 100. I keep saying I'm going to get a 3rd pair that is over 100 for powder days, but those days are still so rare that it has been hard to justify spending the money.

drjeff

I ski primarily in Northern VT and both my pairs of skis are under 100. I keep saying I'm going to get a 3rd pair that is over 100 for powder days, but those days are still so rare that it has been hard to justify spending the money.
Just don't frequent powder7.com, or else the prices on some of their demo stuff for sale, might make it tough to NOT justify spending the $$!

Signed a happy family with over 10 powder7 ski purchases over the last 5-7 yrs! 😉

Internet Ski Pro

i knew this was the right sight to join so i could be told what kind of skis i should be on.

Quietman

My input was meant as a suggestion. The vast majority of my skiing is on leftover groomed trails, ie "hardpack". I really enjoy carving high speed turns when skiing hardpacked snow, and the iRally and iSpeed are perfect tools for this. If you enjoy skiing eastern snow conditions on a wider ski, have at it, and have fun!

djd66

I may have to check out the irally. What size are you guys skiing on?

Quietman

I ski on 177's that are 136-76-114. As I am slightly over 200 lb, I was interested in the 183's, but the deal was for the 177's and I really like them.

This Ebay listing is for a new '23 set of 177 eRally's with bindings for $499.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I also ski the 177. I bought them when I weighed about 200. I'm now about 175 and have no issues with the length. Great for either long GS turns or short, snappy ones. Very versatile

djd66

I ski on 177's that are 136-76-114. As I am slightly over 200 lb, I was interested in the 183's, but the deal was for the 177's and I really like them.

This Ebay listing is for a new '23 set of 177 eRally's with bindings for $499.
Thanks, that’s pretty cheap for a brand new set. I may have to buy’em

deadheadskier

Staff member
i knew this was the right sight to join so i could be told what kind of skis i should be on.

Do / buy what you like. Just pointing out that skis at the most basic way of looking at things are just tools.

The analogy I typically make in these discussions is that yes, you can turn a Phillips screw with a flathead driver. It takes more force and you have to be careful as it's much easier to strip the screw than using the tool that's actually designed for the job. Likewise, you can turn a 100mm ski on Northeast man-made hard pack, but it takes a lot more force and if you aren't careful, it's much easier to lose grip and not have your skis turn the way you want them to.

If you can only own one screwdriver, then yes it makes sense to own a flathead driver. If you can only own one set of skis or only ski "Phillips" conditions (Northern VT / out West) , then yes it makes sense to own a 100mm + ski. But if you can own multiple tools / skis, why not go with a variety of tools / skis that are purposely designed for the jobs you encounter?

That's what I and others are suggesting.

zyk

I'm 5'5'' 165 when I'm in good shape. Longest are 179cm by 92 but my favorites are 165cm by 90.

snoseek

Anyone ski the moment wildcat 101? These check alot of boxes for me. Also I skied 4frnt msp years ago and they were fantastic... the New 99s look pretty fun.

Internet Ski Pro

Anyone ski the moment wildcat 101? These check alot of boxes for me. Also I skied 4frnt msp years ago and they were fantastic... the New 99s look pretty fun.
A friend had the 99's from a few years ago, and we concluded that and the enforcer 100 were very similar. The "new" 99 has what looks to be a pretty short turn radius for its width.