• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking if anyone has seen the Man that Skis in North VT dressed as Authentic Nordic Winter Ranger or Ullr??

MidnightJester

This Skiers entire outfit is a recreation of equipment and winter clothes and looks from 200 years ago maybe more. All animal skins & leather and furs and large feathers. Horn to blow on his hip. "Goose or Eagle feather" almost helmet and wrist guards. Totally snow and winter weather proof as our modern outfits from the look of him in the snow.

Anyone have a picture of him? I lost the one I think I had lol. I encountered him either at Stowe or Sugarbush I believe.

Would love to know a little about his winter story? and outfit?

Last edited:

Domeskier

Sounds like Killington's Birdman.

Edit: Here's a funny ref to him:

"At Killington, one isn’t known by their given name. Instead, a simple adjective denotes the man. Along with The Hammer and Fast Frank, there is Big Frank, Porpoise, Rooster, Little Bobby, Red Head Ted, and Birdman—a guy that wears the hides of animals he’s killed. When I ask Hammer about Birdman, he shrugs his shoulders. “No one wants to ride the gondola with him,” says Hammer. “The fur gets wet and it stinks.”"

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Sounds like Killington's Birdman.

Edit: Here's a funny ref to him:

"At Killington, one isn’t known by their given name. Instead, a simple adjective denotes the man. Along with The Hammer and Fast Frank, there is Big Frank, Porpoise, Rooster, Little Bobby, Red Head Ted, and Birdman—a guy that wears the hides of animals he’s killed. When I ask Hammer about Birdman, he shrugs his shoulders. “No one wants to ride the gondola with him,” says Hammer. “The fur gets wet and it stinks.”"

I almost spit my coffee up on that read. LOL

MidnightJester

That is a good read and funny or sad that Killington only got 152 inches of snow by the article writing time that year March/April 2012. So the Birdman has been doing his hunting since that photo in 2012 in the article. He had zero visible modern clothing when I was talking to him couple of years ago and many more helmet feathers

Last edited:

urungus

Heres the photo from the Powder article, hope to meet the man some day if he is still out there …

2CFD2950-1C33-4A21-9EB3-6D500AC0C6FB.jpeg

MidnightJester

I don’t see any Viking horn on his hip though
He has improved on his outfit and equipment pieces. Had a horn I would swear on his hip that caught my attention. I stopped to talk to him at the top of a lift while strapping into my board 3 or so seasons ago. His feather helmet was almost fully layered in large feathers and lost almost all signs of modern clothing peaking out

BodeMiller1

Could be Birdman, butt just saw a movie where Santa Claus is a drunk viking. So, I'm going with drunk Santa Viking.In this scenario the bells would be from reindeer 🦌.