• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mitten Help

gnardawg

I'm not a big mitten fan but my hands were kind of cold over the weekend:

Currently I have a few pairs of gloves and 1 pair of mittens

1. Kinco 901 Ski Glove
2. Kinco 1927KW LINED GRAIN PIGSKIN LEATHER PALM with KNIT WRIST - I wear these 90% of the time
3. Eddie Bauer First Ascent Guide Gloves 2.0 - Getting worn out and very short cuff length (I did not pay for these, won them)
4. Black Diamond Mercury Mitt - Hate these, to big and to hot (Used REI dividends to purchase)

I'm considering:

1. Kinco 901T Ski Mitt
2. Kinco 1930 AXEMAN® LINED GRAIN LEATHER MITT
3. Hestra Fall Line Mitt

What are your thoughts? Money really isn't an issue but I don't want to overpay for something when it's available in 99% the same form for 10x cheaper.

Thank you in advance!

xwhaler

I can't recommend these more highly. I have two of the "factory 2nds" long cuff glove and they are awesome.
I have average sized hands and got the XL and they are the perfect fit...they seem to run a bit small.

I had trouble finding the 'defect' on both pairs that I got....awesome value for the price.

https://www.freethepowder.com/collections/mittens

mriceyman

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1487179821.441063.jpg
Owned these gloves for 5 years i think.. best gloves ive ever worm but idk if they're available anymore. Makes me sad

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Smellytele

I have used the Black Diamond mercury mitts for years on the sub 0 days and love them. I have a quiver of gloves and mittens for every condition and temp. No one for all days. As long as the mittens don't have the glove inside I am okay with them. The separate fingers inside defeat the purpose of a mitten.

crank

I have Kinco gloves and mittens. The mittens are a little strange in that there is basically a glove inside so all your fingers are in a separate sleeve and not together. They keep me warm enough though I do use hand warmers from about 10 degrees and below.

gnardawg

Hmm interesting that there is a glove inside. Maybe I'll just buy both Kinco Models since they're so cheap.

I appreciate the other mitten reviews but I'm really looking for something that has a tight cuff that will go under a jacket sleeve without a string or elastic pull. I refuse to wear a glove or mitten that goes over my jacket sleeve or has to stuff a bunch of material under my sleeve.

Anyone have an opinion on

http://www.swanyamerica.com/p/artic-mitt-touch-screen/mens-toaster-mittens?pp=12

I have Kinco gloves and mittens. The mittens are a little strange in that there is basically a glove inside so all your fingers are in a separate sleeve and not together. They keep me warm enough though I do use hand warmers from about 10 degrees and below.

prsboogie

I'd second the Free the Pow mittens. I actually cannot wear mine because they are too warm to the point I'm uncomfortable with them on. I cannot find the "defect" on mine either and would recommend them if you run cold.

I use Swany x-change gloves and on all but the coldest days my hands are warm. This past Saturday and Monday I used my thin liner gloves with them and I was warm.

dlague

I paid $39 for a pair of Swany Mittens at Cannon's shop last year because I forgot mine. The link below is the Mitten that i got. It has a built in glove lining. I have skied in some of the coldest temps and they never get cold. If worse comes to worse I could always throw a heat pack in the built in pouch for that purpose.

https://www.bobwards.com/swany-mens-xover-mittens-107442

Hawkshot99

I do not use the Hestra Fall Line Mitt, but have the glove version. I have always been extremely comfortable in them. I wore them for about 3 seasons before replacing them with another pair of Hestra's. There was nothing wrong with them as far as function goes, I just made the mistake of buying the natural color and they looked nasty after 300+ days of skiing and some early/late season motorcycle time. I now wear the Vertical Cut Freeride from Hestra and they are still perfect after 5 seasons (I got black this time)

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

Hmm interesting that there is a glove inside. Maybe I'll just buy both Kinco Models since they're so cheap.

I appreciate the other mitten reviews but I'm really looking for something that has a tight cuff that will go under a jacket sleeve without a string or elastic pull. I refuse to wear a glove or mitten that goes over my jacket sleeve or has to stuff a bunch of material under my sleeve.

Anyone have an opinion on

http://www.swanyamerica.com/p/artic-mitt-touch-screen/mens-toaster-mittens?pp=12

I wear Swany gloves, and they are really warm. I bought them originally because of the built-in hand warmer pocket, but I think I've had to use hand warmers less than 5 times over the past 3 seasons. I have since bought swany gloves and mittens for my boys, and I will do the same for my wife when the time comes.

tumbler

I don't think the Kinco is made for very cold weather, but more of a look. They are better on more seasonable days- they is a reason why they are so cheap.

benski

I don't think the Kinco is made for very cold weather, but more of a look. They are better on more seasonable days- they is a reason why they are so cheap.

I have the Kinco gloves. I think I wear them if its above 25.