• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mittersill article by Paula Tracy

timm

From a mountain operations (and taxpayers) perspective I understand that. Don't have to like it though, haha.

xlr8r

The problem I have is that they are planning on clearing the lower 2/3rds of the mtn into a single super wide racing slope. That will completely destroy the character of the place, not to mention eliminating a bunch of trails. I think turning Baron's into a racing trail makes sense, but is there really a need for another super wide racing slope. Doesn't Rocket and Gary's fulfill the need for that type of racing trail.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Stepping aside from my personal opinion on the issue, you can't really compare a long and wide Super G course to Rocket and Gary's. These trails are both very short. Really good pitch for racing, but too short for a Super G. Such a racing venue would give FSC a huge training opportunity and might bring some good races to Cannon. While there are a lot of trails rated for Super G in New England, there are not a lot of quality courses nor would most ski areas shut down such terrain for a major race. One big advantage to Barron's is that it is completely isolated... the only trail crossing would be skiers cutting back to Tuckerbrook from Mittersill.

The other problem with Rocket and Gary's is that they put a large volume of racers on the Zoomer chair and the training and races take that terrain off line. Granted, training and racing would take Baron's off line as well. But it would get the racers out of the public eye a little bit.

But they have a hard enough time making snow at Cannon proper. Even if FSC pays for the snow making equipment, it remains to be seen how Cannon could possibly open another trail pod while they are trying to expand the main mountain. This season was a snow making disaster for Cannon. Imagine if they had to sporadically not make snow on Cannon proper to bury a race trail?

Cannonball

AAAAHhhhhhHHHhhGHhHhhH!!!!!!!!! :flame:

Yup! I have a new theory about JD's behavior but it's too inflammatory to suggest just yet. That quote certainly adds some fuel.

On another note, was that the strangest writing in an article or what?

A series of loosely connected single sentences.

Or broken sentences.

It was. No editor.