• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MLB Hall of Fame 2014

skiNEwhere

So Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and Frank Thomas are IN

Craig Biggio got 74.8% falling only 2 votes shy. Last year he had the highest number of votes but was still short of the 75% required to be inducted.

I think Edgar Martinez should be in the hall too, since he essentially defined the DH position, but he's been on the ballot 5 years and only has 25% of the votes.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...ey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&tcid=fb_article_66395522

Geoff

I don't get Biggio. 3,000 hits. Most doubles by a right handed hitter and most doubles for a 2nd baseman. If he'd played for a good team instead of the Astros, he would have been a lock for the first ballot.

xwhaler

The whole process is a joke----writers actually submitted HOF votes for Jacque Jones, Armando Benitez, JT Snow. IMHO anyone who thinks those guys are HOF worthy should have their votes taken away. Guys can make lots of $ post-retirement if they make the HOF (speaking engagements, commericals, etc.) Its not really the BBWAA's fault as the guidelines are outdated and vague but IMHO the BBWAA should regulate who gets to vote each year.

RM2008

Happy to see Thomas, Glavine, and Maddux get in. All worthy of getting in on the first ballot. I'd be fine with Biggio never making it, but I agree if he played in Boston or New York he would already be in.

mriceyman

Biggie has to get in for what he's done. Stats are stats and playing for an awful team shouldn't hurt you in hof voting. Just my opinion.

skiNEwhere

The only reason you didn't hear about biggio as much as you should have is because the Astros sucked pretty much the entire time he played for them. Agree that if he played for Boston or ny he would be in first vote around.

But here enlies the politics problem with the HOF. Talent is talent. It shouldn't matter where your team finished at the end of season. If biggio didn't play for the stros they probably would've lost like 120 games a year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Piazza not making it was a bigger surprise to me than Biggio. Best offensive catcher of all time and not a lot of strong evidence that he juiced.

Powderhound

"Short catchers are better, because they don't have to stand up as far." Yogi Berra on Biggio.