• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mont Sainte Anne to Build a new High Speed Quad

EPB

FYI. It looks like Mont Sainte Anne is replacing the 5200 foot (1700 foot vertical) triple chair in its expert area on the south face with a high speed quad. This was one of my favorite trail sectors in the east even with the ~12 minute triple chair ride, as it offers a blend of some of the steepest groomers and bumps in the east along with a few pretty steep glades to boot. Now it will be possible to log some serious vertical in that area. Those who have made it up there will certainly know what I'm talking about.

http://www.mont-sainte-anne.com/en-us/skisnowboard/news/newsdesc.aspx?id=1838

steamboat1

Interesting, out of the 1/2 dozen times I've been to Sainte Anne I only saw that chair run one day. You're right that it does service some of the better terrain on the mountain.

jaytrem

Interesting, out of the 1/2 dozen times I've been to Sainte Anne I only saw that chair run one day. You're right that it does service some of the better terrain on the mountain.

Sounds like it going from the bottom of the triple to the top of the double that was already removed (which would be the top of the moutain). I assume that would make the chair a lot more useful to the masses.

EPB

Sounds like it going from the bottom of the triple to the top of the double that was already removed (which would be the top of the moutain). I assume that would make the chair a lot more useful to the masses.

Absolutely. That was my guess as well. I took a look at their camshots, and it doesn't appear that a new liftline has been cut, though I might not be able to see it if the new chair will go over either La S or La Super S.

As for the old triple, I've only been to MSA midweek and it was open both trips I made it there.

crank

I already liked Ste. Anne's lift system and this will be even better. AZers if you have not been, I highly recommend a trip to the Quebec region to ski both Ste Anne and Le Massif.

EPB

Looks like they're going to start the lift where the triple base used to be and it will follow a line just to the right of the old Sept Chutes trail where an old double used to run. The summit terminal will be roughly where the old double summit terminal used to be, which is pretty close to the top of the gondola.

The source is in french, but for those interested, this is from zoneski.com:

"Confirmé lar le MSA: même base que le "trip" et l'arrivée du nouveau télésiège sera au top de la piste "Sept-Chutes", reprenant pas mal le tracé de l'ancienne remontée "sainte-paix".
Voici leur réponse ce matin:

Bonjour Julien,

On vous montrera le visuel du nouveau tracé très bientôt. Par contre, nous pouvons dès maintenant vous dire que le départ se fera au même endroit que Le Trip. L'arrivée se fera désormais tout près de la piste Les Sept Chutes. Lorsque vous êtes face à la montagne, la trajectoire de la nouvelle remontée sera plus à droite."

Edit: here is a link to a MSA map that shows both the old double and triple so it is easier to visualize. It looks like it is possible to draw a line from the top of the double to the bottom of the triple that follows the entire Sept Chutes trail / lift line http://skimap.org/data/87/260/1282586670.jpg

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wasn't aware that St. Anne still has some long T-bars. That must be kind of cool to ride the long one on the North side that runs parallel to a HSQ.

EPB

Wasn't aware that St. Anne still has some long T-bars. That must be kind of cool to ride the long one on the North side that runs parallel to a HSQ.

There was really no need for it, but the last time I was there, they were running the long T-bar on the backside and the one that parallels the gondola on the front side. They were certainly fun to ride..... I've never seen the west side t bar running, though.

crank

I've ridden one on the back side, but I have never hear riding a t-bar described as "fun"

deadheadskier

Staff member
Really? Lots of T-Bar fans here on AZ. I know some definitely miss the old Kennebago T at Saddleback.

crank

I have ridden that one too. I don't have a problem with t-bars, but fun? Maybe when I was 10. Guess I'm just and old crank.

EPB

I have ridden that one too. I don't have a problem with t-bars, but fun? Maybe when I was 10. Guess I'm just and old crank.

I missed the Kennebego, unfortunately, but I do enjoy a good surface lift ride when I have the chance. I grew up learning to ski in the 90's and missed out on the days of full length surface lifts. Fun might not be the right word, but "appreciative" certainly fits the feeling I get when riding a real t-bar like those found at Mont Sainte Anne.