• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 1/21/07

kingslug

Conditions: Hardpack, windblown, boiler plate, fast.
First time back in Vermont in a few years. The $80.00 bus trip got me up there. Arrived to minus 44 degree temps at the top with severe frosbite warnings. Probably one of the coldest days I have ever skied. The morning runs where good as we explored several areas. It was all hardpack machine made as the wind the day before had blow all the natural into the trees. The 2 runs that where open on the Northface where pretty slick but great if you wanted to rip like a downhiller. They had the guns going in several areas and these where good to slide around on. One run in particular I believe it was Ego alley had huge rollers about 10 feet high where the guns must have pounded for days. This leads to a short but steep mogul run called yardsale which was pure manmade pow. it was so cold that the guns where blowing what looked like chalk dust. Towards the end of the day it was getting pretty skied off. I think that by next week all of the Vermont areas will be in better shape as temps will remain cold and they can at least blow around the clock.
Note to anyone who hasn't experienced this kind of cold. One of the people who was on the bus with us got frostbite all over his face and pretty bad on his nose. Bad as in black. He must have spent the day with no face protection and will now suffer for it. These temps are no joke.

krisskis

Like KingSlug said...it was COLD!!! Conditions got sketchy at the end of the day...very slick..my sister and I quit by 3pm and called it a day. Hey Bean...we were 5 knuckleheads..2 women, 2 men and my 13 yr old son...all in shades of red/black and blu/black...couldnt miss us...always right behind each other. My sister had a yardsale on our way over to Ego Alley...right into the trees...she looked like a snowball and i <i may have been the only one LOL> was worried for a moment but she got up and shook it off...it was that damn ice..slip sliding away!!

bdjeep

I was also at Mt. Snow on Sunday. Definitely a cold day, and the weather report says it'll be even colder this coming weekend. The crowds weren't bad since the cold kept people inside more. About half the trails were open. Many of the trails got skied out toward the end of the day, mainly the blues that saw the most traffic. I took a few easy runs on some of the greens (Long John/Deer Run), and they held up quite well. Still plenty of man-made powder on these at the end of the day. I skied the north face for a few runs. Not much open there. One side had snow guns blowing, which made it a bit too cold as I didn't have anything covering my face. The other side was fast and slick. Considering the late start to this season, conditions were better than I expected.

adamti91

-44 degrees!? Holy hell. I had trouble staying warm this weekend with -10 wind chills at Belleayre. Don't think I would have fared to well, but nice report none the less.