• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow Lift Question

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I've noticed this before, but browsing the skilift.org install sheets reminded me. Mount Snow's old Summit Local had a replaced drive terminal. skilifts.org says the gearbox was replaced in 1984. The entire top terminal must have been replaced as well. I know this because Yan terminals didn't have the rounded front tip, as shown, till the 1980s. The Local is from 1978. Anybody know what happened to that old terminal? And why was it replaced?

sl_top.jpg

jaytrem

I've noticed this before, but browsing the skilift.org install sheets reminded me. Mount Snow's old Summit Local had a replaced drive terminal. skilifts.org says the gearbox was replaced in 1984. The entire top terminal must have been replaced as well. I know this because Yan terminals didn't have the rounded front tip, as shown, till the 1980s. The Local is from 1978. Anybody know what happened to that old terminal? And why was it replaced?

View attachment 8778

Interesting. The Beaver/Tumbleweed terminal is box shaped, that was built in 1984. I wonder if they did a switcheroo. I'll post your question on the Mount Snow passholder sight, Dennis should know, hopefully he's reading.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Thanks. I never understood why Snow has the mountain forum only open to passholders. Sure, they know the mountain better and will stay with the mountain for years, but most of the profit is with the daytrippers.

steamboat1

Sorry for my ignorance but what in the world are you guys talking about. Pics below of Devils Fiddle chair & South Ridge chair terminals at Killington. Ones round, ones square. They're both Yan's.

k28.jpgk48.jpg

drjeff

Thanks. I never understood why Snow has the mountain forum only open to passholders. Sure, they know the mountain better and will stay with the mountain for years, but most of the profit is with the daytrippers.

It's listed specifically as a "pass holders perk"

To be honest with you though, 98% of the info that Mount Snow releases on their webpage and social media sites is the same stuff that gets put up in the passholders site, it's just that they tend to post it in the passholders site about 1 minute before their other sites ;)

Newpylong

Well you just supported what the original poster said, no rounded terminal until the 80's. South Ridge was 77 = flat front. DF 1983 = round front.

Sorry for my ignorance but what in the world are you guys talking about. Pics below of Devils Fiddle chair & South Ridge chair terminals at Killington. Ones round, ones square. They're both Yan's.

jaytrem

The answer from Dennis at Mount Snow...

The drive terminal was never replaced, the octagon part was an add on to the original square terminal. In the 80’s thru the early 90’s there were several upgrades which include replacement of the dc drive and the tower detection system, replacement of the electric motor from a 400hp to a 500hp, replacement of the apu from gas to a diesel, and the upper section of the 475 gear box was replaced to except a new type of oil cooler. There were many other modifications to the lift but I’m going to save those in case I need money after I retire and I can write a book it.

vcunning

As DrJeff said it's billed as a passholder perk. However, you can go to the "Blog" section of MountSnow.com and post questions. I've found they're very good at responding and you'll get honest answers from senior management. I post both places.

drjeff

I believe the drive went to one of Peak Resorts in Missouri. The rest of the parts were originally targeted to be used (with some other parts of other lifts) to build 2 or 3 other triples at other Peak Resorts over the next few seasons. Considering that if I recall correctly there were about 285 or so chairs hanging from that old haul rope, they've got plenty of chairs for a few installations at "mid west sized" ski areas! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

dennis

The electric motor and the APU both live on in lift 18, the dc drive is parted out and resting comfortably in our shop as spare parts to 4 other base 10 drive units we are still running, the gear box and drive wheel are at the Howe farm in Wilmington with the rest of the lift, the rest of the drive room was scrapped.
dennis