• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow will be getting a new GM

drjeff

In this article announcing the retirement of Whistler's VP of mountain ops, it's mentioned that Mount Snow’s GM the last 2 years, Brian Suhadolc, will be taking over that role at Whistler.

No names yet as to who will be replacing him as GM at Mount Snow after August 5th when he starts at Whistler

GregoryIsaacs

Let the revolving door of GMs continue.... Never a good look for one of their flagship resorts.

On the bright side, maybe this new GM will have a better "open" trail policy... last years policy was borderline malpractice IMO

2Planker

Let the revolving door of GMs continue.... Never a good look for one of their flagship resorts.

On the bright side, maybe this new GM will have a better "open" trail policy... last years policy was borderline malpractice IMO
Flagship resort ????

Not sure Vail & Co are calling Mt Snow a flagship resort..... Stowe YES But no other resorts in the east really qualify ....

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Kelly was great back in the day. Turning Carinthia into all-park and then going HUGE with it for the next decade while rails/parks/jumps/pipe were at their peak was a great idea that's certainly paid off. Also the Bluebird Express was a big deal when it debuted.

Newpylong

Flagship resort ????

Not sure Vail & Co are calling Mt Snow a flagship resort..... Stowe YES But no other resorts in the east really qualify ....

Oh I would argue Mount Snow is more of a flagship than Stowe simply due to more skier visits. However Okemo has more than both.

Reactions: Edd

raisingarizona

Oh I would argue Mount Snow is more of a flagship than Stowe simply due to more skier visits. However Okemo has more than both.
I was going to say this. It's gotta make a crap ton of money.

People don't believe me when I tell them that Arizona Snowbowl is probably making Coleman more money than Purgatory and Snowball helps pay for improvements at his other properties.

ctdubl07

MS or any of their mid tier size properties, will continue to be a tough hire decision matrix.

Its a mashup opportunity: decrepit legacy base area that cannot meet service needs especially FB experience, huge weekend crowds, a glamour-less mountain, yet mixed with top notch snowmaking and lift infrastructure.

The question is, do they have the bench yet to elevate their current Ops asset Kevin H?

Brian is a nice guy who I believe had the respect of his staff but I knew he'd be short term. Other than his NJ roots, why come to a mid tier opportunity after seemingly larger previous roles, unless you had agreed to based upon known future strategic staff discussions/elevation opportunities....

urungus

MS or any of their mid tier size properties, will continue to be a tough hire decision matrix.

Its a mashup opportunity: decrepit legacy base area that cannot meet service needs especially FB experience,

Sounds like Vail should put a F&B person in charge…

drjeff

Sounds like Vail should put a F&B person in charge…
I would be surprised based on the 2 GM's they have placed at Mount Snow since they bought Peak.

Tracy, the 1st GM they brought in was the GM at Sunapee before coming to Mount Snow and then was promoted out to the mothership in Broomfield where her new job is basically a VP of company wide infrastructure projects planning

Brian, who is now heading to Whistler for their VP of Mount Ops position, had essentially that same role at Park City prior to being the GM at Mount Snow the last 2 years

It seems like they give the F&B folks (whom by the way have a ton of managerial multitasking experience which is something you look for in a GM), opportunities at their smaller resorts. Heck, a former Mount Snow F&B head was promoted into the GM position, and apparently doing quite well at it, at their Mount Brighton property out in Michigan the last 2+ seasons now.

Vail has their career development and managerial advanacement programs in place for sure, and with such a large number of employees, that gives them a decent sized pool of talent to identify and then develop for promotion potential in their careers in the ski industry.

Hawk

To me Flagship means the highest quality resort in the profile. Stowe certainly is a WAY nicer resort amenity, service and experience then Mount Snow. The level of high end clients at Stowe shows that they are top notch.