• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Sunapee

LongStep

Hey all I have been doing alot of hiking in southern NH (Monadnock and pack manodnock n and s) and am looking for a bit of scenery change. I drive up RT 89 quite often and saw what I believe is Mount Sunapee. I have read that it is pretty developed up top being that it is a ski mountain and all and was wondering is this hike worth the time? I’m was looking forward to hiking it but if it too developed I will look else where for my hike sat.

Thanks

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
The summit of Sunapee is definitely a bit developed - but its mostly winter use. If anything, the ski trails help views.

I did the Andrew Brook Trail last year and I don't recommend it. Really wet, etc. If I recall, the Newbury Trail comes in from near the beach...allows one to check out the lake (neat sight). The summit views can be really nice.

Not all too much further is Mt. Cardigan - a much neater hike in my opinion.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Another hike you could consider that's not far off from Sunapee is Ascutney. The Weathersfield Trail goes up from Rte 131 and there's a sign on the road at the turn.

LongStep

great thanks for the pointers all. Im probably going to check it out (Sunapee). This summer I'm planning on hiking as many non-white mountain peaks as possible so all that are mentioned are appreciated.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Depends on what you want. The top of Sunapee has the chairlift terminals, cell phone towers, and a summit lodge. I live 30 miles away and don't hike it because I have skied it so much...but the views are impressive.

SilentCal

If you do hike Mt Sunapee, one really nice spot is a place called White Ledges off the Newbury trail. Open viewpoint with and nice view of Lake Solitude. Nice lunch spot if summit building do not appeal to you.

Jonni

Sunapee is pretty good for some sort day hikes, or even morning hikes for that matter. Ski trails do help the view quite a bit, but if you are looking for something that isn't all that developed, I would head for Kearsarge (south) or Cardigan. I haven't hit the Andrew brook trail in a while, but the summit trail from the base of the ski area is in pretty good shape. It's good for about a 2.5 to 3 hour round trip (about 4 miles or so). The Newbury trail and the Andrew Brook trail in conjunction with other smaller trails on the mountain (the Rim trail, Lake Solitude trail, etc.) will make for a longer day if you so choose.

LongStep

Sunapee is pretty good for some sort day hikes, or even morning hikes for that matter. Ski trails do help the view quite a bit, but if you are looking for something that isn't all that developed, I would head for Kearsarge (south) or Cardigan. I haven't hit the Andrew brook trail in a while, but the summit trail from the base of the ski area is in pretty good shape. It's good for about a 2.5 to 3 hour round trip (about 4 miles or so). The Newbury trail and the Andrew Brook trail in conjunction with other smaller trails on the mountain (the Rim trail, Lake Solitude trail, etc.) will make for a longer day if you so choose.

whats actually funny is the mountain that I thought was Sunapee was actually Kearsarge (lol @ me). As soon as I got directions this past Sat. I realized I wasn't heading to the same mountain. As for Sunapee I went to the Andrew Brook trail. It was a pretty good hike for the most part. Got to the trail head at 11 and was down by 3. Something I noticed about the southern part of NH Is the the land seems more dry and less wet. I had visited Cardigan and now Sunapee both and Each time I hike it feels like i'm in a jungle/rain forest. I'm sure the brutal humidity didn't really help but it was real muggy. All in all the white ledges and the lake were a sight for sure and the summit was slightly lackluster although the ski trails did help with some decent views. Next on the agenda is Kearsarge.