• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My skiing is SO bad that...

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
...I had a yard sale while hiking.

Seriously, I was hiking up Carrigain for FOT48 and had my 25' telescoping aluminum flag pole in my pack. It kept snagging on low branches as I hiked. One of them held on tight. As I turned to deal with it, it effectively unzipped my bag. When I turned the other way, I laid out a yard sale right on the trail. :oops:

I must be the first one to yard sale while hiking!

-Stephen :dunce:

JimG.

Staff member
Stephen said:
I must be the first one to yard sale while hiking!

-Stephen :dunce:

That sounds like a first...my buddy Eric had one while fishing. We had to walk about 2 miles into a stream and he insisted on putting his landing net cord around his neck. I warned him about branches grabbing at it, but he ignored me. Well, one grabbed the net and he didn't notice it until the cord was taught...the choking noise he made while falling backwards to the ground as all his equipment scattered was pitiful.

What's worse, the net got a hole in it he didn't notice until he was trying to land a nice trout. In one motion, he landed the trout in the net, it came off the hook, and then swam confidently right through the hole to freedom.

I believe that landing net was awarded a burial at sea.

blacknblue

Oh, you're not the first... :oops:
I had a lovely one once on the Twinway. There was a lot of snowpack still (in June), and between branches clawing at me and the slippery snow, I managed to tumble head-first into a cold mud puddle. My 40-pound pack pretty much pinned me down for awhile until I recovered my strength/pride.

Mike P.

I've had smaller sales happen before. A pack I use occassionally is a 2500 Cu pacjk with two zippers. If I zipper it so both are at the very top, they tend to descend down the bag so I have to keep the zipper close on one side or the other.

Yard saling was how I learned I had to do this.... :oops:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I haven't had a yard sale, but I have managed probably the slowest, longest fall you've ever seen. I postholed viciously coming down the Horn (Saddleback) last May, and after the one foot went down, it was just a slow cascade of falling over, slipping, body-postholing, another roll, a slide, and coming to a stop in a very, very awkward, almost immobile position. It took several seconds for this all to happen and my hiking companions were completely mesmerized by it!