• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nassahegan 2009-05-25

WoodCore

Another fine day for a ride up at Nassahegan! Meet up with Rueler, a few of the folks from my Wednesday night group and two new guys (on freeride bikes) I'd never met before. Anyway we started at about 10:15 from Scovill Road and clocked 8.3 miles in just over two hours.

Trails where pretty dry considering the torrential downpours yesterday but the roots and rocks where just damp enough to keep you on your toes at all times! My balance was a tad bit off starting the ride and the big climb up Johnnycake Mountain didn't help either but as the miles rolled by I felt much better in the saddle.

Here's the track......

http://crankfire.com/trails/data.php?dataid=551

http://crankfire.com/map/index.php?tid=7&t=551&w=0

Greg

Staff member
Nice! Some good terrain covered in that ride.

rueler

it was a fun loop!! I must say that Woodcore is getting faster and faster every ride out!! We had a good pace going throughout...well, except the start of the ride where we rode Hinman's north to the J-Cake climb up...I wasn't making too many fans with that choice. But, it took care of just about all of the lengthy climbing in the loop. A couple of us made a pretty steep techy climb on Truck trail that I haven't even looked at in a couple of years. It's the one that has a bypass to the left of it...it's probably the third decent pitched techy up on the truck trail. Any other highlights? hmmm...cleaned the steep, sketchy downhill to the river after you cross 69 from Sessions...It's riding fairly well right now and the brush hasn't overtaken the left line soooo much.

Greg

Staff member
it was a fun loop!! I must say that Woodcore is getting faster and faster every ride out!! We had a good pace going throughout...well, except the start of the ride where we rode Hinman's north to the J-Cake climb up...I wasn't making too many fans with that choice. But, it took care of just about all of the lengthy climbing in the loop. A couple of us made a pretty steep techy climb on Truck trail that I haven't even looked at in a couple of years. It's the one that has a bypass to the left of it...it's probably the third decent pitched techy up on the truck trail. Any other highlights? hmmm...cleaned the steep, sketchy downhill to the river after you cross 69 from Sessions...It's riding fairly well right now and the brush hasn't overtaken the left line soooo much.

We did that climb via Hinman north up Johnnycake on Sunday. Not particularly grueling, just long, but it's pretty gradual. I think what makes it worse is the fact that flying southbound on that section of Hinman is just damn good fun and going up it is well, blah. Interesting how different trails ride in reverse.

That techy section on the Truck Trail we affectionately call Red's Rock. That's the spot where MR. evil's friend, Red, OTB'd coming down that and cracked some ribs on those rocks. He was in the hospital for a few days. Ever since, it's been playing games with all our heads as a descent. Props to Tim who made it down it finally on Sunday (twice!). It's not a particularly difficult line, just a funky approach to where you need to just let it go. There's a jagged rock that sticks out which plays with our heads after seeing the injury-resulting wreck last summer. How did you climb that? Straight up the steps or around to the right?

bvibert

Staff member

Wow, climbing Red's rock is impressive, especially if you went straight up it! Nailing the sketchy downhill on the other side of 69 is pretty hardcore too. Nice work!

rueler

i didn't climb "Red's Rock" on the left side...i did it on the right...which is plenty hard, but makeable...I don't quite have the trials skills to hop up the steeper/higher rocks towards the end of the more difficult line. Just before you get to Red's Rock on the Truck Trail, there is a Blue trail spur that heads west along the Beaver Pond and pretty much runs parallel with E. Chippens Hill Road...At the start of that trail is a really techy rock studded stairlike downhill on the right side of the line most people take...check that out next time you're up there. I cleaned it with Adrock last week. We're trying to make it up it...not doable in my book...but, we're getting a bit farther everytime.

Greg

Staff member
Just before you get to Red's Rock on the Truck Trail, there is a Blue trail spur that heads west along the Beaver Pond and pretty much runs parallel with E. Chippens Hill Road...At the start of that trail is a really techy rock studded stairlike downhill on the right side of the line most people take...check that out next time you're up there. I cleaned it with Adrock last week. We're trying to make it up it...not doable in my book...but, we're getting a bit farther everytime.

Yeah, we headed down that way and all took the pussy path I think. :oops: The ledges beyond that are fun. That trail all the way down to Beaver Pond is great. We really gotta link that trail up with the awesome downhill at the far southern end of Sessions which starts right below that hella hike-a-bike. There are several other trails down in that area too that I didn't notice the last time through there...