• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New boots

bvibert

Staff member
ALLSKIING said:
ALLSKIING said:
Just purchased Salomon X Wave 8.0. anybody have them?
I should have put this in the gear forum. :-?
Yup, maybe one of the mods can move it for you. I think someone mentioned they just got the X Wave 9.0 in there...

BeanoNYC

ALLSKIING said:
Tried them yesterday.WOW felt like it took my skiing to a higher level..what a difference a boot makes. :D

Sweet! I'm psyched to try them this weekend! Were they comfortable?

On another note ..... do you take the ferry over when you head up north or cut around? I'm always curious about skiiers from out east. I'm headed out to the vineyards soon to restock and was thinking about working a parlay to ski in VT.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
ALLSKIING said:
Tried them yesterday.WOW felt like it took my skiing to a higher level..what a difference a boot makes. :D

Sweet! I'm psyched to try them this weekend! Were they comfortable?

On another note ..... do you take the ferry over when you head up north or cut around? I'm always curious about skiiers from out east. I'm headed out to the vineyards soon to restock and was thinking about working a parlay to ski in VT.
Very comfortable..I had to play with them for a run or two to get them just right. I usually take the ferry unless I am heading to the skills. I take the Orient PT ferry when going to VT or NH and Port Jeff Ferry when I am going Conneticut.Thats where I live right in the middle of vineyard country.

BeanoNYC

ALLSKIING said:
Thats where I live right in the middle of vineyard country.

We like it out there. We like the vinyard/shelter island weekends in the early summer (The Hampton's thing isn't our bag). Raphael and Osprey's Dominion are our favorite places to go. Try to steer clear of Pindar.

My wife and I both teach on the Island and we do discuss buying in Suffolk. We both like the North Fork the best.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
ALLSKIING said:
Thats where I live right in the middle of vineyard country.

We like it out there. We like the vinyard/shelter island weekends in the early summer (The Hampton's thing isn't our bag). Raphael and Osprey's Dominion are our favorite places to go. Try to steer clear of Pindar.

My wife and I both teach on the Island and we do discuss buying in Suffolk. We both like the North Fork the best.
It is a nice place to live and the schools are very good also. One down side to living on the Island is that it makes it harder and more expensive (ferry $55 one way) to get to the mountains. :(

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Charlie Schuessler said:
ALLSKIING said:
BeanoNYC said:
ALLSKIING said:
...ferry $55 one way... :(

$55.00 One way...the last time I took the ferry it was around $32.00 one-way...

Add that round trip to a one-day lift pass and that is one expensive day...
Add that round trip and two extra people for the ferry and three lift passes make skiing very expensive...But well worth it. :D

patentcad

Website
www.patentcad.com
Salomon Ellipse 9.0's here. 3 days on them so far- LOVE this boot! Super comfortable - and for me that's saying something, I have extraordinarily sensitive lower legs/ankles. For a boot not to hurt me it has to be incredibly forgiving in the comfort dept. The Ellipse delivers that and also has more than enough stiffness for the edge control that I'm looking for in my skiing. I'm not as aggressive or accomplished on skis as some of the people here seem to be, but I'd say I'm a better than average advanced skier - on boards since age 8 (I'm 47 now) who likes steeps and skiing fast (fast enough to get admonished by the occasional freaked out ski patroller) - so performance is not an non-issue for me. But comfort was the over-riding concern. The performance that I got is really a major bonus - I was ready to compromise a bit in that dept. for feet that aren't sore at lunchtime.

By far the best ski boot I've ever owned. I thought my last boots - the Lange Mid 5.0s from c. 1990 - were comfortable. In fact those particular Langes were a rear entry front buckle hybrid designed specifically to deliver performance with a greater degree of ease when you put them on or take them off - a design that favored comfort over performance. They were comfortable but when I put them on after an 8 year layoff they hurt my shins and ankles. The Salomons are part of my new gear setup - and I hate to say this because I liked the Langes, which didn't have any of that 'Lange bang' thing at all until just now, my legs clearly changed over that layoff. But in comparison to the Ellipse 9's the Langes are like cement overshoes.

I have no idea how the Ellipse boots compare to other Salomon boots, but you'd have to pry mine from my cold, dead fingers (toes?). Best boot I've ever owned by far. Ditto for the Volkl 5-Star/Marker Piston binding combo.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
patentcad said:
Salomon Ellipse 9.0's here. 3 days on them so far- LOVE this boot! Super comfortable - and for me that's saying something, I have extraordinarily sensitive lower legs/ankles. For a boot not to hurt me it has to be incredibly forgiving in the comfort dept. The Ellipse delivers that and also has more than enough stiffness for the edge control that I'm looking for in my skiing. I'm not as aggressive or accomplished on skis as some of the people here seem to be, but I'd say I'm a better than average advanced skier - on boards since age 8 (I'm 47 now) who likes steeps and skiing fast (fast enough to get admonished by the occasional freaked out ski patroller) - so performance is not an non-issue for me. But comfort was the over-riding concern. The performance that I got is really a major bonus - I was ready to compromise a bit in that dept. for feet that aren't sore at lunchtime.

By far the best ski boot I've ever owned. I thought my last boots - the Lange Mid 5.0s from c. 1990 - were comfortable. In fact those particular Langes were a rear entry front buckle hybrid designed specifically to deliver performance with a greater degree of ease when you put them on or take them off - a design that favored comfort over performance. They were comfortable but when I put them on after an 8 year layoff they hurt my shins and ankles. The Salomons are part of my new gear setup - and I hate to say this because I liked the Langes, which didn't have any of that 'Lange bang' thing at all until just now, my legs clearly changed over that layoff. But in comparison to the Ellipse 9's the Langes are like cement overshoes.

I have no idea how the Ellipse boots compare to other Salomon boots, but you'd have to pry mine from my cold, dead fingers (toes?). Best boot I've ever owned by far. Ditto for the Volkl 5-Star/Marker Piston binding combo.
I was going to try that boot but the boot fitter said that those boots are like cement. From what you are saying I wish I tried them. I do love mine though and am not disappointed.

BeanoNYC

Just got on on my 9.0's yesterday and I couldn't be any happier. They provided the support I needed on the steeps and were more comfortable than I thought they would be. The control I got from these boots was wonderful. Much more responsive than my performa 8's.

patentcad

Website
www.patentcad.com
>>I was going to try that boot but the boot fitter said that those boots are like cement.<<

That's very strange since everything I've read about the boot - or been told about it by ski industry people - is that this is the specific Salomon boot designed for the 'I want a softer boot' crowd - geared with comfort the paramount consideration. Hey, if you're happy with your boots, this is totally academic - but I can tell you with great certainty that if anyone is going to have trouble with a boot that bangs up your lower legs/shins it would be me, big time. The Ellipse 9's don't hurt me one tiny bit, and I've skiied in them for three days, one of them the hardest day of skiing I've had in nearly a decade, with much of the day spent on the steeper terrain @ Hunter Mountain - Claire's, Racer's Edge, K-27 - on snow that can charitably be described as 'hard and fast' (and might be characterized as icy by some non-Eastern skiers). In other words, a real good test of the boot's ability to gently cradle my lower leg and feet. They were so comfortable I didn't even take them off at lunchtime.

Makes me wonder if there was another axe grinding away there - like maybe he didn't have the Ellipse to sell you so he badmouthed that model to play up what he had in stock. That's a common retail sales tactic. Again, it's not a big deal if you wound up with a boot you love. Does anyone else here understand this? For all I know I'm the one who is misinformed here and the Performa is the more comfort oriented of those two Salomon models. That's not what Ski Barn in Paramus NJ - a very large and in my experience thoroughly professional ski shop - said. The sales people on the floor there are also not on commission, or at least that's what they all tell you.

Bottom line is that we're both happy with our ski boots, so this really is an academic discusstion - but I find the whole thing a bit curious. Ski Barn actually told me that they didn't order the Ellipse 10.0 because it was stiffer than the 9.0, and if somebody wanted a stiffer boot they would go to a whole other ski boot model. Again, they stressed the Ellipse line was geared towards comfort, which makes the 'cement' characterization bizarre on its suface.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
patentcad said:
>>I was going to try that boot but the boot fitter said that those boots are like cement.<<

That's very strange since everything I've read about the boot - or been told about it by ski industry people - is that this is the specific Salomon boot designed for the 'I want a softer boot' crowd - geared with comfort the paramount consideration. Hey, if you're happy with your boots, this is totally academic - but I can tell you with great certainty that if anyone is going to have trouble with a boot that bangs up your lower legs/shins it would be me, big time. The Ellipse 9's don't hurt me one tiny bit, and I've skiied in them for three days, one of them the hardest day of skiing I've had in nearly a decade, with much of the day spent on the steeper terrain @ Hunter Mountain - Claire's, Racer's Edge, K-27 - on snow that can charitably be described as 'hard and fast' (and might be characterized as icy by some non-Eastern skiers). In other words, a real good test of the boot's ability to gently cradle my lower leg and feet. They were so comfortable I didn't even take them off at lunchtime.

Makes me wonder if there was another axe grinding away there - like maybe he didn't have the Ellipse to sell you so he badmouthed that model to play up what he had in stock. That's a common retail sales tactic. Again, it's not a big deal if you wound up with a boot you love. Does anyone else here understand this? For all I know I'm the one who is misinformed here and the Performa is the more comfort oriented of those two Salomon models. That's not what Ski Barn in Paramus NJ - a very large and in my experience thoroughly professional ski shop - said. The sales people on the floor there are also not on commission, or at least that's what they all tell you.

Bottom line is that we're both happy with our ski boots, so this really is an academic discusstion - but I find the whole thing a bit curious. Ski Barn actually told me that they didn't order the Ellipse 10.0 because it was stiffer than the 9.0, and if somebody wanted a stiffer boot they would go to a whole other ski boot model. Again, they stressed the Ellipse line was geared towards comfort, which makes the 'cement' characterization bizarre on its suface.
It was a friends shop so I am sure he was not giving me a line about whats in stock. He could be wrong about the cement quote, I never asked if he has ever skied in the boots. Your right though I don't think at this point I could like another pair of boots more than what I got. :D

patentcad

Website
www.patentcad.com
To make matters murkier still, the Salomon website doesn't exactly spell out what each boot line is geared for - or at least they are sufficiently nebulous so that either one of us could be right here...

ALLSKIING

Staff member
patentcad said:
To make matters murkier still, the Salomon website doesn't exactly spell out what each boot line is geared for - or at least they are sufficiently nebulous so that either one of us could be right here...
I was reading that..they make all the boots sound the same.