• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Hampshire resident cut trees in Vermont state park

Teleskier

That's not really a fair comparison... you failed to mention that he cut down 840 trees!!

The fee is simply 3x its lumber cost of what he harvested... which he likely (or should have) received.

sull1102

Vermont- where you can get off easier for selling heroin in the rutland walmart parking lot than cutting down trees in a state park.

Not saying this guy should be off the hook though. But a 5-digit fine plus court fees is pretty damn harsh.
So you can get off with nothing more than a trip to the ER in Bennington when they find you with heroin, crack, fentanyl, etc, but chomp down some trees and they will come for you! They really need to figure their shit out as a state gov't(not even going into the Jay Peak state sponsored and assisted fraud that went on for years).

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
So you can get off with nothing more than a trip to the ER in Bennington when they find you with heroin, crack, fentanyl, etc, but chomp down some trees and they will come for you! They really need to figure their shit out as a state gov't(not even going into the Jay Peak state sponsored and assisted fraud that went on for years).

It's ridiculous. The state's priorities are all f'd up. It took a global pandemic to get educated young people to come to Vermont.... the state couldn't do that in the ten years they've been trying.

sull1102

It's ridiculous. The state's priorities are all f'd up. It took a global pandemic to get educated young people to come to Vermont.... the state couldn't do that in the ten years they've been trying.
I was one of those young educated 20-somethings back in 2015 with my fiancee and I moving up to Vermont... We moved back home to Boston after three years and have not regretted it one bit. The problem is the lack of good paying jobs. My income has not doubled, not tripled, but literally quintupled. There just are not enough of the opportunities up there for people my age and younger to actually move up there(except Burlington proper and even that is rough most of the times).

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I was one of those young educated 20-somethings back in 2015 with my fiancee and I moving up to Vermont... We moved back home to Boston after three years and have not regretted it one bit. The problem is the lack of good paying jobs. My income has not doubled, not tripled, but literally quintupled. There just are not enough of the opportunities up there for people my age and younger to actually move up there(except Burlington proper and even that is rough most of the times).

The drop in income would be acceptable to most if the cost of living moved accordingly. But that's far from the case...everything in VT is expensive. I'm from Upper Fairfield County and everything is just-as if not more expensive than here in CT. Nothing is cheap- gas, utilities, taxes. And less public services, from my perspective.

tumbler

The state has to make high speed internet a big priority in order to keep the educated people there who can now work remotely. If they can work they will stay.

Scruffy

Vermont- where you can get off easier for selling heroin in the rutland walmart parking lot than cutting down trees in a state park.

Not saying this guy should be off the hook though. But a 5-digit fine plus court fees is pretty damn harsh.

One of those is a tragedy of the commons, the other just a common tragedy. Man, left to his own devices will chop down every tree, steal every blade of grass, kill every animal, and eat the very last fish, until the earth perishes for everybody.

Do you know that at one time in past, in NY state with it's vast wooded land and wilderness, white tailed deer were hunted to a population next to zero? Deer from other states were brought in and tough game laws enacted.

In NY (I don't know about other states) the only law enforcement arm that can force their way into your home without a warrant is the DEC ( Department of Environmental Conservation )

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Reminds me a little bit of a situation on Green River Reservoir in Hyde Park, VT. For those unfamiliar with the lake, it's the largest undeveloped lake in the state. A state park surrounds it. Some guy bought property abutting the lake and state park. The guy applied for a variance with the state to cut trees and establish a water view and put a boat house at the edge of his property close to the water and then be allowed to walk through state park land to launch his boat.

State said no. He cleared the trees and started doing the work anyway. Almost all of the clearing was on land he owned and it opened a view up to his house from the lake that wasn't there prior. He was ordered to plant back all of the trees and fined $104k.

kingslug

The only trees I can cut on my land in CT is ones that either fall or are dead. And my neighbors trees..if they fall on my land are my problem, not his. Like the one that fell across my driveway and would have killed my wife 10 minutes sooner. You have to identify problem trees and send them a registered letter..then its their problem. Yes ..this makes total sense..in the Twilight Zone.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Back to the future. A couple guys up in that area cut their own glades up near Jay in 2006 or so.

dblskifanatic

I was raised in Vermont and the job front is exactly why all my siblings and I left.

kingslug

The gov needs money to study things,,like the effect cow manure has on the ozone layer, etc.
I would still move to Utah though.