• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Ski resort technology coming to your mountain soon. Screens and Touchscreens on Lifts and Gondolas

MidnightJester

Best I can say is I like that in one of the pictures you can see a large digital Mountain trail map. Hope it can lower or offset future lift ticket price rises.

Smellytele

It will offset nothing. Just another money grab. I remember they tried doing this at grocery stores back in the 90’s. Monitors at checkout lines playing commercials and a little news.

MidnightJester

Vail inc. has to be getting a electric thrill up their legs at the idea of this adding advertising potential for them. Its the Upgraded version of the Bathroom door and Urinal wall advertisement spaces. A captive audience that cant get away from it for 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

It will offset nothing. Just another money grab. I remember they tried doing this at grocery stores back in the 90’s. Monitors at checkout lines playing commercials and a little news.
It seems this has been repopularized at the gas pump. its super annoying

Vail inc. has to be getting a electric thrill up their legs at the idea of this adding advertising potential for them.
If they have any sense, which they likely don't, they'll know they will be destroyed fairly quickly. Plus I just can't see them working for long periods of time in the cold. I guess they could run off of the same battery that they use for the heated seats on those types of lifts since those chairs get recharged every night.

eatskisleep

It seems this has been repopularized at the gas pump. its super annoying

If they have any sense, which they likely don't, they'll know they will be destroyed fairly quickly. Plus I just can't see them working for long periods of time in the cold. I guess they could run off of the same battery that they use for the heated seats on those types of lifts since those chairs get recharged every night.
Especially when pumping gas and a voice shouts at you: “hey you!” Then the ad starts

Andrew B.

I wouldn’t care so much about what they want to show me on a video board but in Val D'Isere they had a gondola with free and open WiFi which came in handy for checking the mountain updates and Wx reports as well as access to their online trail map/trail closure stuff.

jimmywilson69

yeah interesting about WP and I also have the same question. IF they can somehow integrate trail maps with the ads and hell maybe even lift waits I could be useful I guess.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm getting deja Vu. Didn't this come up a couple of years ago and we had a thread on it?

The ski industry is getting too damn techy. Don't they realize people are there to be outdoors and get away from this kinda thing for the day?

Maybe I'll use it as an ash tray when I do a J in the Gondola.

skiur

I'm getting deja Vu. Didn't this come up a couple of years ago and we had a thread on it?

The ski industry is getting too damn techy. Don't they realize people are there to be outdoors and get away from this kinda thing for the day?

Maybe I'll use it as an ash tray when I do a J in the Gondola.

I even leave my phone in the car while skiing.

2Planker

Cost $$$, so no frickin' way it'll ever happen at Vail properties in the east.

kendo

I even leave my phone in the car while skiing.

Soon your phone will be your ski pass or digital lift ticket using low power Bluetooth.

They're marketing it as part of their zero waste initiative (plastic pass gets re used annually so that's BS). Just an excuse for Epic and others to access your data.

2Planker

Soon your phone will be your ski pass or digital lift ticket using low power Bluetooth.

They're marketing it as part of their zero waste initiative (plastic pass gets re used annually so that's BS). Just an excuse for Epic and others to access your data.

I believe there is a CAL against Waterville for a "breech of their stored data" aka Your CC #'s
Kinda funny since the Gov's family runs it.

Last edited:

crank

I saw some interesting tech in Val d'Isere when there in 2019. Not super techy but kind of nice - they had usb ports in one gondola so you could charge a phone on the ride up. Not only that, it also had a speaker system so you could play music over your phone as well. It was a very comfy and roomy gondi car with 4 molded seats.

SteezyRob

WHY + L + Ugly bar + Keep a trail map in your pocket + I'm not riding that + I will not buy products advertised on chairlift + Very ugly bar + Live in the real world for just FIVE MINUTES without media constantly being blasted in your face + Your company isn't even in the top 1000 companies according to Inc. Magazine

crystalmountainskier

They already have our data.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This. Ticket prices ain’t going down.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I saw some interesting tech in Val d'Isere when there in 2019. Not super techy but kind of nice - they had usb ports in one gondola so you could charge a phone on the ride up. Not only that, it also had a speaker system so you could play music over your phone as well. It was a very comfy and roomy gondi car with 4 molded seats.
Aspen’s Silver Queen also has cabins that allow you to play your music from your phone.