• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Non US Ski Resort Bucket List

dlague

What resorts/areas/countries OUTSIDE the US are you interested in skiing?

Of particular interest to me are:

Chile: Valle Nevado
Japan: Niseko, Shiga Kogen
New Zealand: Treble Cone
France: Chamonix Valley
Lebenon: Mzaar
Itally: Dolomites
Austria: Kitzbuhel, St Anton
Switzerland: Zermatt
Sweden: Åre

There are other US destinations but I was more curious about outside the US.

mbedle

I'm on board with France and Italy. Shooting for the 15/16 season in Italy... I also think a trip to Chile during the summer would be pretty cool. At least thats what my bucket list says.

jimk

Having a little fun with this thread by grabbing some topographic eye candy off the web:

St. Anton Austria/Valluga Piste 13
Valluga_Piste13.jpg

Chamonix France/Vallee Blanche
vallee blanche.jpg

Cortina d'Ampezzo Italy/Hidden Valley trail
hidden valley.jpg

Zermatt Switzerland
ski_matterhorn.jpg

Courchevel France/old photo of Mt blanc with classic gondola
mount blanc courcheval.jpg

Bounus slide show from Espace Killy France: http://www.chaletmerlo.eu/resorts.html

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Considering I've never skied outside the northeast its hard for me to even compute the astonishing numbers of the Alps, so nothing yet there.

Being a tree skier Japan is definitely on my list.

skiNEwhere

I've never skied outside the US

For Canada I want to hit the big ones:
Whistler blackcomb
Sunshine village
Revelstoke
Lake Louise
Kicking horse
And tremblant (to see what all the fuss is about)

France:
Chamonix
La Grave
L'espace Killy

Switzerland:
Zermatt

Austria:
St Anton Am Arlberg

Of all of those those, chamonix is number one on my bucket list

abc

I've skied a number of areas in Europe. The bucket list actually got larger as a result. It's like getting a taste of fine wine, now I want more! The top of the list: Zermatt, Verbier, Chamonix, La Grave...

Anywhere in Japan, I'm sure will get me started on yet another ever growing bucket list.

Canada is so close yet so far away (flights are expensive). So Whistler is the only one at the top of the list that I haven't been. But the list of places I have been and want to go back is so long I'm not sure how I'll ever get to any new ones!

Not too crazy about the side of the earth that are in the "wrong" season. I have time, connection, money to do New Zealand this summer. And I even has a pass that gives me free days in one of the resorts there. But the thought of digging out my ski boots generated dread rather than excitement. Call me a summer person if you wish. I'm just not too excited about giving up 2-3 weeks of summer for a week of skiing! If I one day live in the southern atmosphere, perhaps I'll be more interested...

Why am I on a ski forum in the middle of summer? Don't know, probably bored. Procrastinating about the work I need to get done, that's why...

snoseek

I feel like it would be a good idea to dirtbag an area like Interlaken for a winter before settling down

jaytrem

Northern British Columbia. For whatever reason I seem to be more interested in Europe in the summer. Might ski there eventually, but it's not really a bucket list type thing.

Smellytele

I have never skied anything in Canada and would love to hit something in Western Canada. I am thinking something in Eastern British Columbia toward Banff - Revelstoke, Kicking Horse or even Panorama.
Easier to get to and more likely in the next few years just Eastern Canada - Owls head, Tremblant.
When the kids are gone I would like to go back to Europe skiing but haven't given it much thought at this point

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I have never skied anything in Canada and would love to hit something in Western Canada. I am thinking something in Eastern British Columbia toward Banff - Revelstoke, Kicking Horse or even Panorama.
Easier to get to and more likely in the next few years just Eastern Canada - Owls head, Tremblant.
When the kids are gone I would like to go back to Europe skiing but haven't given it much thought at this point
Was there in the mid 80's and Revelstoke and Kicking horse were not around. At the time we stayed in Banff, Skied Sunshine and Lake louise. Mount Noriquay was basically in town and we never skied it , although looked like with good snow would be awesome, not much vert but all steeps, Sunshine hands down for better snow , I was amazed at the diffrerence in conditions given the short distance between the two areas, had a great time at both places , Sunshine gets a ton of snow and has some really diverse terrain. The ski out was fun

dlague

Was there in the mid 80's and Revelstoke and Kicking horse were not around. At the time we stayed in Banff, Skied Sunshine and Lake louise. Mount Noriquay was basically in town and we never skied it , although looked like with good snow would be awesome, not much vert but all steeps, Sunshine hands down for better snow , I was amazed at the diffrerence in conditions given the short distance between the two areas, had a great time at both places , Sunshine gets a ton of snow and has some really diverse terrain. The ski out was fun

The Ride and Ski Card has a trip to Banff each year in March. We plan on going this year it is a very good deal! I spoke to Jeff yesterday and the dates are March 22nd to 28th. I already reserved our spot. Check it out!

Note this was last years advert, but the deal will be about the same + a few dollars.

banff2.jpg

skiNEwhere

That's a pretty good deal, I want to jump on that but I don't know if they'd let me swap out Logan for DIA

MadMadWorld

Did western Alberta/eastern BC a few years ago. Alberta is overrated especially Sunshine Village. Lake Louise is pretty awesome. Revelstoke and KH are ridiculous. I would definitely go back but I would stay in BC. They have more than enough "shit your pants" terrain and see a lot more snow than the Alberta resorts.

skiNEwhere

Did western Alberta/eastern BC a few years ago. Alberta is overrated especially Sunshine Village.

How so? I know they get less snow but what other factors made you think that? I've never skied Alberta (or anywhere in Canada for that matter) but I'd like to know

MadMadWorld

I agree with everything but the last part. I don't think the terrain is very diverse at all at least by Western standards. I had a lot more fun at LL

MadMadWorld

How so? I know they get less snow but what other factors made you think that? I've never skied Alberta (or anywhere in Canada for that matter) but I'd like to know

Well besides Delirium Dive and Wild West it's pretty much an intermediate mountain. If you don't have a transceiver/shovel you can't access either of those areas. Those areas are a ton of fun when open but patrol is very conservative and snowfall isn't as good as the BC side of the range