• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Northern NH NCP snowpack damage?

Cheese

My prediction is that there will be a freeze tonight which will leave the resorts dangerously icy tomorrow. Tomorrow night the groomers will break the ice up into larger chunks so that Saturday will be better, but still softballs, golf balls or marbles. Saturday night (second groom) the larger chunks will be ground up into the New England corduroy we're used to to make Sunday skiing conditions about what we had before this event. The exception being that trail counts will decrease and the bumps and woods are now junk until another snow storm.

That's probably worse case. A more hopeful scenario would be that they get another shift of groomers in during the day to speed up the process and maybe blow some resurfacing snow.

There is 4-8" of snow in the forecast for Sunday night. Let's hope that storm falls on the New England resorts.

Puck it

My prediction is that there will be a freeze tonight which will leave the resorts dangerously icy tomorrow. Tomorrow night the groomers will break the ice up into larger chunks so that Saturday will be better, but still softballs, golf balls or marbles. Saturday night (second groom) the larger chunks will be ground up into the New England corduroy we're used to to make Sunday skiing conditions about what we had before this event. The exception being that trail counts will decrease and the bumps and woods are now junk until another snow storm.

That's probably worse case. A more hopeful scenario would be that they get another shift of groomers in during the day to speed up the process and maybe blow some resurfacing snow.

There is 4-8" of snow in the forecast for Sunday night. Let's hope that storm falls on the New England resorts.

I am trying to bag my trip to SR tomorrow with my wife. We are staying at friend of the sis in laws. Wife will not ski since it will be cold and let alone the ice. I will be skiing alone. Save the gas and the money from kenneling the dogs. The lift tix can resused for an additonal $30 each so they are not a loss.

57stevey

Hope you're right, I'm seeing .4 to .8 in my forecast. Looks like another Sunday afternoon at Crotched, bless 'em.

hammer

Hoping you are correct about Sunday...as long as there is some edgeable frozen precip on the slopes I won't complain too much.

snowmonster

I am trying to bag my trip to SR tomorrow with my wife. We are staying at friend of the sis in laws. Wife will not ski since it will be cold and let alone the ice. I will be skiing alone. Save the gas and the money from kenneling the dogs. The lift tix can resused for an additonal $30 each so they are not a loss.

It may not be a total loss. If there's one thing Sunday River is really good at, it's recovering from a rain event like this.

AdironRider

Some have my best days have been solo.

Something to be said for turning and burning laps without hanging around. I have a feeling you'll regret it come say noon on Saturday.

JDMRoma

Something to be said for turning and burning laps without hanging around. I have a feeling you'll regret it come say noon on Saturday.

Same here, I ski solo most of the time.....my Wife and Daughter dont like ice or Cold so I go up every weekend with or without them. If the conditions are good they will do one day out of the weekend but thats it. I will ski Saturday, and if its good I will go back for Sunday. Hope we get something Sunday or sunday night as I have Monday off this coming week too

Puck it

I ski alone a lot, not the issue. Prefer it somtimes, but wife will be stuck in condo.

BenedictGomez

Agreed. I usually ski with someone too, but I find when you ski in a group of 3 or 4, while fun, you inevitably get slowed down. Excess conversation, someone has to pee or eat, discussion on which trail(s) to take on which run, etc.... Last year one of my favorite days was solo at Plattekill after a decent snow.

KevinF

Not NH, but I saw that Sugarbush's snow report page (http://www.sugarbush.com/snow-trails-conditions/live-mountain-update) says that "primary conditions" are "frozen granular".

I have no idea what "frozen granular" means, but I have a feeling it's a synonym for "the kind of ice that you could read a newspaper through".

Might try skiing Wachusett or something Sunday morning. Spend a weekend relaxing for a change.