• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NYC People I need some help

Hawkshot99

Ok so on 6/14/08 I need to go into Manhattan for a test.

Irving H.S., 40 Irving Place

I figure I will take the train down to Grand Central Station. Then looking at the Subway map It looks like I take the
-#4 to 14th st.-Union Square.
-Walk 1 block East on 14th St.
-Walk 2.5 blocks North on Irving Place

Is the walking through ok neighborhoods? My dad told me I should just take a cab from Grand Central, but I am cheap.

So please tell me if my route is ok, or I should take a cab. I have spent a decent amount of time down there walking around, but never alone.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
You're fine. 4 Train from GCS to Union Square (14th Street) is fine. Will be crowded with suits going down to the financial district in the a.m. As is the area around 14th street. In fact, most areas of Manhattan are pretty safe...especially after reading that post about Portland Maine the other day.

BeanoNYC

Take the 4 or 5...the 6 is a local. That being said, your coming in on a Saturday so you might want to just take what you can get. Union Square is still in the grid system so it will be easy to get your bearings. Walk on the east side of the park. (That would be the right side of the park if 14th street is behind you.) Make a right on 15th or 16th street and head over to irving place (Irving is basically the beginning of Lexington ave and the 4,5,6 is the Lexington ave line so this is an easy one to navigate.) You know what time your train back is? (Edit: Just a little tip while navigating through GCS...the signs for the Lexiington Ave lines are green. So if your too far away to read, 4,5,6 just look for the green circles.) ....oh...and there really aren't any bad neighborhoods in Manhattan.

Last edited:

BeanoNYC

Thanks Beano

Don't forget Marcski too.

What's your schedule like for that day? I'm thinking a cold one may be in order if either of us can swing it time wise. I owe you one for the binding help anyway. Impromptu Saturday happy hour with the NY Metro crowd?

Hawkshot99

Got my test at 3:30, but need to get there a bit early. Then i was trying to get back home for my friends graduation party that starts at 4. But I may be interested.