• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Palisades Tahoe

thetrailboss

Staff member
My money was on "Olympic Valley." Apparently Palisades Tahoe was more appealing to their many focus groups.

It is luke warm to me right now.

FBGM

People are still just going to call it Squaw. Like how people still call Canyons, Canyons even years after it was changed. Or how people still call Redskins the same. Even the football announcers messed up and called them Redskins.

I also don’t get how some places or teams or whatever have to be changed and then others don’t? Chiefs? Braves? What about road or street names?

KustyTheKlown

chiefs and braves are not derogatory terms. "indians", considering native Americans arent from India, and "redskins", considering its a commentary on physical attributes, are derogatory terms.

jimk

I guess the little birdie logo is pretty cool, but yeah I thought you guys were talking about a small section of steep ski terrain from the thread title. It also took me a while to realize the name was supposed to cover both Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows:
Eagle.png

PS: they just tore down a big statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee in my home state of VA. I was raised to believe Lee was a tragic hero, sort of the equivalent of Nazi general Erwin Rommel. Both were decidedly on the wrong side of history, but honorable military professionals. It will be interesting to see how the PC police continue with various name changes in our society. I could see all places named after Thomas Jefferson and George Washington being subject to change. Jefferson's fall from grace is particularly awkward for the Univ of VA where his spirit and ethos permeates the place supposedly dedicated to enlightened academics.

p_levert

I guess the little birdie logo is pretty cool, but yeah I thought you guys were talking about a small section of steep ski terrain from the thread title. It also took me a while to realize the name was supposed to cover both Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows:
View attachment 51930

PS: they just tore down a big statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee in my home state of VA. I was raised to believe Lee was a tragic hero, sort of the equivalent of Nazi general Erwin Rommel. Both were decidedly on the wrong side of history, but honorable military professionals. It will be interesting to see how the PC police continue with various name changes in our society. I could see all places named after Thomas Jefferson and George Washington being subject to change. Jefferson's fall from grace is particularly awkward for the Univ of VA where his spirit and ethos permeates the place supposedly dedicated to enlightened academics.

Yeah, well there is some similarity between Lee and Rommel as tragic heroes on the wrong side of history. Of course, Erwin Rommel, did actually get involved in a plot to kill Hitler. Don't think Lee ever attempted to assassinate Jefferson Davis. Also, not a lot of Rommel statues in Germany, FWIW.

urungus

Also, not a lot of Rommel statues in Germany, FWIW.
Or in the United States for that matter. We’re talking about removing a statue of a traitor (Lee) who led a war against the United States. Not much difference between a statue of Lee and a statue commemorating Rommel, Benedict Arnold, Kaiser Wilhelm, or Saddam Hussein.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Or in the United States for that matter. We’re talking about removing a statue of a traitor (Lee) who led a war against the United States. Not much difference between a statue of Lee and a statue commemorating Rommel, Benedict Arnold, Kaiser Wilhelm, or Saddam Hussein.
This sounds like a basis for a South Park episode.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Being 45 minutes from it I associate "Palisades" with the mega mall in NY. Next thing I thought of was that ugly-ass new Hyundai(?) SUV that was designed by someone with a chrome grill fetish.

Not the best company but that's just my strange mind at work lol.

cdskier

Being 45 minutes from it I associate "Palisades" with the mega mall in NY. Next thing I thought of was that ugly-ass new Hyundai(?) SUV that was designed by someone with a chrome grill fetish.

Not the best company but that's just my strange mind at work lol.

Not necessarily that strange...I was personally thinking of this when I saw "Palisades":

225063006_6535000833191948_6358817219636122953_n.jpg
225890663_6535004323191599_1425397497749702511_n.jpg

jimk

Palisades_Amusement_Park_3.jpg

machski

My money was on "Olympic Valley." Apparently Palisades Tahoe was more appealing to their many focus groups.

It is luke warm to me right now.
So what was the Sq**W basin will be known as Olympic Valley for location purposes, As line Meadows will still be referred by it's old name for base location inside the resort too.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So what was the Sq**W basin will be known as Olympic Valley for location purposes, As line Meadows will still be referred by it's old name for base location inside the resort too.
Yeah I saw that after doing some more reading. So I was partially right in my prediction.

dblskifanatic

Having lived in Colorado I think peaches as in - Palisade Peaches

I cannot draw a connection to skiing in Tahoe with that. Or to that ugly SUV brought up earlier!

BenedictGomez

chiefs and braves are not derogatory terms. "indians", considering native Americans arent from India, and "redskins", considering its a commentary on physical attributes, are derogatory terms.
That's complete horse**** based on (very) modern revisionist thinking.

For starters, the former two are, in fact, being called "offensive" by self-righteous morons (almost exclusively WHITE liberals) who just want to be perceived as SJW. So while I agree with you, it's intellectually dishonest to pretend the counterfactual is the case.

But as for the latter two, nobody ever meant anything pejorative with the usage of either terms, which is the true litmus test of "derogatory" vernacular. To disagree with that is to be intellectually dishonest for the sake of desperately desiring to appear righteous. The, "Cleveland Indians" is a hate slur? Really? No, go **** yourself, I'm not going to fall-in-line and be bullied into pretending that a lie is the truth.

BenedictGomez

We’re talking about removing a statue of a traitor (Lee) who led a war against the United States.

That's a harsh opinion based on a facile understanding of history, as well as the undeniable truth that to the victors go the spoils. Obviously Lee was on the wrong side of history when in came to slavery. But in Lee's mind, the south was being oppressed, and as such had a right to separate from the north. This is not the mindset of a "traitor". Obviously you disagree, so it saddens me to learn that you believe George Washington, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, George Mason, and countless others were "traitors", as I personally believe them to have been great men who led a great cause to separate from the British Empire.