• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Playscape teardown and assembly tips wanted!

TheBEast

So I've come across a decent plays-cape by Creative Playthings. Its it pretty reasonable shape, six years old or so. Best part is its free from a neighbor of my brother-in-law. I've got to go disassemble it tomorrow. I've got my Tundra and a large flatbed trailer so I'm hoping I won't have to disassemble it too much. Anyone every done this have any tips/tricks or "wish I had knows this before hand" advice?

Thanks! The 60 degree weather today BLOWS for November 1st!!

Ryan

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Is this for a kid? I am going to need a playground set next summer for sure. Unsure of where to even start looking. I was considering buying one of those kits of Amazon that include hardware and molded plastic pieces and a cut list of lumbar for Home Depot

if you live even remotely close to a halfway decent playground, don't bother...it will not get the use to justify the cost/labor and will be an unused rotting hulk within 2 years when the kid outgrows/becomes bored with it...i had to take a sawzall to the swingset the previous owners left at our house...our neighbors had a massive playset that never once was used in the 7 years i've lived in my house...finally last year i loaned him my sawzall and we took that one down too..unless you can get some sucker to take it off your hands (hi there BEast!), disposal is a pain in the arse as well...gonna need a dumpster, a bulk pickup or a truck to haul it to the dump

hammer

I had a redwood playset when the kids were younger...had to disassemble and reassemble it due to some wood rot issues. Main advice is to disassemble as little as you can, have a good impact driver (I had a portable drill which didn't work as well), and be prepared to replace hardware.

Ended up selling it on Craigslist when the kids got older, but I mainly asked for cash because I wanted to make sure the person picked it up.

Was good to have the set but in retrospect I wish we could have found a less expensive option.

TheBEast

Nick - I've got a 5 1/2 yo and a 3 yo. It will certainly get plenty of use and the $0 price tag is enticing. They also have neighborhood friends that would use it.

Hammer - Good ideas. I'm certainly thinking the least amount that gets disassembled the better.

I've got a great town dumb that would take this when its reached its useful life for $30-$40 so I'm not overly concerned what to do with it when its done or the kids don't use it anymore.

bvibert

Staff member
Yup. monkey bars, slide, rope ladder, spot for 3 swings and a little elevated tree house type area.

Sounds great, it will be well worth the effort to move it!

We have a small yard with no space for a playscape or swingset, but we still have a simple Little Tikes type playset from when the kids were younger. They have far out-grown it (they're 8 and 6 now), but still play on it whenever they're playing in the yard. I wanted to get rid of it over a year ago, but they insisted we keep it.

bvibert

Staff member
As far as dis-assembly goes.. I have no personal experience, but like has been mentioned I would try to take apart as little as possible. Do you have someone to help you move big pieces onto the trailer? I would also be prepared to cut stubborn/rusted hardware.

TheBEast

As far as dis-assembly goes.. I have no personal experience, but like has been mentioned I would try to take apart as little as possible. Do you have someone to help you move big pieces onto the trailer? I would also be prepared to cut stubborn/rusted hardware.

Yup got a couple helpers and a good sized trailer too!

wa-loaf

I got a free one a few years ago, it was kind of a mess and had some broken bolts. I took it apart transported it home and rebuilt it with a few extra nuts and bolts and rebuilt the deck. When I moved a few years ago I took it apart and brought it with us. Kids still play on it.