• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poll: What do you think makes a "Great Mountain?"

What is the most important element in a "Great Mountain?"

• a. High Speed Quads or Fast Lifts.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • c. High Vertical.

• d. Great lodges and facilities.

• e. Snowmaking coverage.

• f. Nightlife/entertainment.

• g. The views.

• h. Price/Value.

• i. Atmosphere.

• j. Other (feel free to elaborate).

• Total voters

thetrailboss

Staff member
a. High Speed Quads or Fast Lifts.
b. Great variety of terrain.
c. High Vertical.
d. Great lodges and facilities.
e. Snowmaking coverage.
f. Nightlife/entertainment.
g. The views.
h. Price/Value.
i. Atmosphere.
j. Other (feel free to elaborate).

Me: There is a combo, but I'd have to say that (b) is most important. Burke and Mad River have slower lifts, but great terrain.

RISkier

For us, it's definately a mix. But if I had to choose 1, I'd choose b as well -- with an emphasis on variety of terrain. I think a truly great mountain will have quite a bit of terrain to suit all abilities -- from never evers to true experts. And ideally, a seperate area with decent length runs where true beginners can 1) feel like they are actually skiing on the mountain, 2) not feel intimidated either by the terrain or by skiers blowing by them, and 3) not get in the way of other skiers.

Greg

Staff member
Interesting thread/poll and it took me some time to come up with a response, but if I had to select one it would be "b". I like to mix it up with bumps, cruisers, and windy trails; not real big on trees yet. I would have to say good lifts are a close second. Skiing at an area with high speeders off peak (i.e. weekdays or non-holiday weekends) lets you get in a ton of vertical. I normally ski in 4 hour stints so it's important for me to get in as much as possible.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i'm gonna mix up this thread a little and not just vote, but arrange the options as i see them in order of my own preference:

1. b. Great variety of terrain.
2. h. Price/Value.
3. i. Atmosphere.
4. g. The views.
5. c. High Vertical.
6. d. Great lodges and facilities.
7. e. Snowmaking coverage.
8. a. High Speed Quads or Fast Lifts.
9. f. Nightlife/entertainment.

i think often price/value go hand and hand with attitudes (from my experiences at least). best attitudes at cheaper, better value areas such as burke (best attitudes and friendliest people around), black, cannon, magic, mrg, etc. i think vertical is highly overrated as most ski areas ski small since there are so many connector lifts. but when you can do a 2000+ vertical foot ski run without a traverse, run outs, or connecting trails, it's pretty special. everything i ranked below vertical is all superficial to me and doesn't influence my opinion of resorts. well, actually lots of entertainment and base area facilities lessens the experience (with exception of the loaf, i think that's a cool set up).

it's all about the terrain!

thetrailboss

Staff member
riverc0il said:
i think often price/value go hand and hand with attitudes (from my experiences at least). best attitudes at cheaper, better value areas such as burke (best attitudes and friendliest people around), black, cannon, magic, mrg, etc. i think vertical is highly overrated as most ski areas ski small since there are so many connector lifts. but when you can do a 2000+ vertical foot ski run without a traverse, run outs, or connecting trails, it's pretty special. everything i ranked below vertical is all superficial to me and doesn't influence my opinion of resorts. well, actually lots of entertainment and base area facilities lessens the experience (with exception of the loaf, i think that's a cool set up).

Sounds like you and I agree, Rivercoil! :D

hammer

Sorry, but I can't provide one response. Here's my quick list of things I like to see:

1. Great variety of terrain.
2. Price/Value.
3. Atmosphere.
4. Great lodges and facilities.
5. Snowmaking coverage.
6. The views.

Maybe vertical and high speed lifts will be more of a factor in a few years, but at this point I'd rather go to a smaller place where the price is right, there's enough well-covered terrain to keep from getting bored, you don't feel crowded in, and the staff treats you well.

Buckeye Skier 1330

Interesting poll. Here are my preferences:
1: Great variety of terrain, it keeps things interesting. Some places have numerous trails but they seem the same ( Sunday River ).
2: Atmosphere, if there is a friendly feeling it adds to your enjoyment ( Sugarloaf, Gore, anywhere in West Virginia ).
3: High speed/ fast lifts, I don't get to ski that many times a year and I'm obsessed with getting in as many runs as I can when I do get to go.
4: Snowmaking, the areas I go to for weekend trips need it because the natural stuff can be very spotty at times.
5: Price/value, the cheaper it is the more times I can go.
6: High vertical, anything over 1000 ft. is HUGE for an Ohioan.
The rest is secondary, although the view from Wildcat is something to see!

sledhaulingmedic

thetrailboss said:
riverc0il said:

Sounds like you and I agree, Rivercoil! :D

Me Three!

Charlie Schuessler

(a) Great variety of terrain.
(b) The views.
(c) Atmosphere.
(d) High Vertical.
(e) Snowmaking coverage.
(f) Great lodges and facilities.
(g) Price/Value.
(h) Other (feel free to elaborate).
(i) High Speed Quads or Fast Lifts.
(j) Nightlife/entertainment.

We're talking about skiing and being outdoors. I've walked and hiked for great terrain and my lodging accomodations were in my backpack.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
All I am going to say is one thing, especially in our New England setting, SNOW. It is all about the snow. Where there is snow I will ski, I don't care if it is flat or steep, if there is snow I am happy. I hardly ever pick a ski area by its stats or terrain (sometimes) but I go to the ski area that has the most snow, in my opinion will get snow or has the best snow quality. Hopefully you guys will agree, because in my book if the resort has enough snow that you can ski anywhere you want to, I am certainly the happiest. ( I mean they can have 5 high speed quads but if they access hardpack with no snow in the trees, hey lets face it, it is just not as fun)

porter