• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Question for NH skiers - how crowded does it get during NH school vacation

Bumpsis

I do know that Massachusetts school vacation does crowd the NE ski resorts quite significantly. Now that my kids are past that stage, I avoid skiing during that week. How about the NH vacation (2/27 - 3/3). Do NH ski areas get equally crowded? I'm especially interested in estimating how busy will it get at Sunapee during that week.

Edd

I do know that Massachusetts school vacation does crowd the NE ski resorts quite significantly. Now that my kids are past that stage, I avoid skiing during that week. How about the NH vacation (2/27 - 3/3). Do NH ski areas get equally crowded? I'm especially interested in estimating how busy will it get at Sunapee during that week.
It's typically way better than Mass vacation but Sunapee could be an exception. I'd be leery of going there or Loon that week but I usually ski during NH vacation week, and I'm as crowd-phobic as they come.

thebigo

Good advice from Edd. I doubt loon will be bad, they have the lift infrastructure and acreage to spread people out. Sunapee may be the only busy place in NH next week, anywhere else in NH will likely offer a better experience.

Newpylong

This week won't be bad simply because of the weather lately. No snow in the flat lands will keep them south.

drjeff

This week won't be bad simply because of the weather lately. No snow in the flat lands will keep them south.
Agree, especially if Pres Weekend is an indicator of things. Busy, but not BUSY by any means.

And while we all don't like liftlines, just rememeber that a liftline or 2 every now and then, is a GOOD thing for the economic health of the industry we all enjoy partaking in

drjeff

Tons of chairs going up empty at K based on webcams. I'll be there tomorrow.

I think that unless things change from a school perspective, it seems like now that more schools DON'T have a full vacation week this time of year than do, and as such, the old perception of school vacation week crowds this time of year just may not be relevant anymore, and these vacation weeks might not be mch more than an above average typical midweek crowd. The February school vacation week(s) isn't the same/very similar as Christmas vacation week anymore crowding wise

Much of that has to do with the lower tolerance for risk that many school superintendents have now vs in the past when it comes to calling a snow day, and as such often they have more snow days per school year now (in most "normal like" Winter's atleast) and as such rather than having to take back days from April vacation or extend the school year in June, they chose to shorten or eliminate February break and pick up some extra school days that way,

2Planker

I think that unless things change from a school perspective, it seems like now that more schools DON'T have a full vacation week this time of year than do, and as such, the old perception of school vacation week crowds this time of year just may not be relevant anymore, and these vacation weeks might not be mch more than an above average typical midweek crowd. The February school vacation week(s) isn't the same/very similar as Christmas vacation week anymore crowding wise

Much of that has to do with the lower tolerance for risk that many school superintendents have now vs in the past when it comes to calling a snow day, and as such often they have more snow days per school year now (in most "normal like" Winter's atleast) and as such rather than having to take back days from April vacation or extend the school year in June, they chose to shorten or eliminate February break and pick up some extra school days that way,
?? Maybe in VT ??

All of MA public schools are off this week. Commute into downtown was 20 mins compared to almost an hour when school is in session.
NH break is next week.
Cuts are evident at Cat & AT, No one behind grill, only 1 register open at 9am ?? Bathrooms haven't been cleaned since the holiday weekend, maybe longer....

Newpylong

Not all of NH is next week either. Our school district and those around here are off this week.

I went to the Skiway yesterday and I was amazed to find the Cafeteria not serving lunch. Completely lame IMHO for vacation week here. We would have been fine with prepared sandwiches and wishes or bagel etc.

Smellytele

Not all of NH is next week either. Our school district and those around here are off this week.

I went to the Skiway yesterday and I was amazed to find the Cafeteria not serving lunch. Completely lame IMHO for vacation week here. We would have been fine with prepared sandwiches and wishes or bagel etc.
You must be in a boarder town.

Edd

Gunstock has surprisingly low skier numbers this week, I’d guess the lack of snow south of here is having an effect.

2Planker

Predictions :
1 - Many places will be almost empty on weekends after this wee
2 - Most places will close 3-4 weeks earlier than usual

Smellytele

Predictions :
While I think places will close early this year, collages have spring break an d snow is in the forecast so next few weekends could be semi busy

2Planker

While I think places will close early this year, collages have spring break an d snow is in the forecast so next few weekends could be semi busy
I don't know of any college kids who are heading to the slopes for Spring Break. If they are, then they;re missing the whole point of Spring Break...

drjeff

Predictions :
Generally agree, unless Mother Nature really shifts and gets some multiple snow storms (and lack of liquid and warm) in here for a while......

Although if if put any trust in longer range modeling, after the next 10 days or so of an active pattern with more "normal" temps and hence snow chances, it seems like the ridge in the West will set up again and keep it cold out there and warm here again.... UGH

drjeff

I don't know of any college kids who are heading to the slopes for Spring Break. If they are, then they;re missing the whole point of Spring Break...
My oldest is going to our Condo at Mount Snow for her Spring Break in a few weeks with a couple of her college ski team friends. They were going to go to Mexico, but the cartel violence even in some resort areas, kind of freaked the ring leader of their friends group out a bit, so they're calling the audible (and saving a bunch of $$) and will probably have Mount Snow basically to themselves, a few locals and a few retired folks :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

2Planker

Generally agree, unless Mother Nature really shifts and gets some multiple snow storms (and lack of liquid and warm) in here for a while......

Although if if put any trust in longer range modeling, after the next 10 days or so of an active pattern with more "normal" temps and hence snow chances, it seems like the ridge in the West will set up again and keep it cold out there and warm here again.... UGH
PC, Simmons, Tufts & Harvard crowds are all headed south.
No takers at all on a FREE ski house...

Domeskier

Agreed. Spring break is always when we would get a jump on writing papers and preparing for exams. No one was skiing at a time like that.

Smellytele

My kids all went skiing on their spring breaks. Some times out west but usually with friends they would vrbo someplace in northern New England.