• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Question for NH skiers - how crowded does it get during NH school vacation

Smellytele

New England should switch to the way some places in the south do it. Teachers work all year long like normal people. Kids go to school in blocks so they don’t go to school all year round but some block of kids are always in school. No actual school vacations( no Christmas, February or April vacations) single day holidays only.

mlkrgr

Even the crowd at Wachusett wasn't bad Sunday night. It was 25 chairs of people waiting in line at most for the Polar Express; and line didn't go passs the ticket scanners for most of the night.

drjeff

Even the crowd at Wachusett wasn't bad Sunday night. It was 25 chairs of people waiting in line at most for the Polar Express; and line didn't go passs the ticket scanners for most of the night.
I was at Wachusett last night. I think the longest I wait all night during the eevning session was maybe 5 chairs and often ski on. Having the afterschool programs done for many for the season makes a difference there for sure. Also nice to actaully have a little fresh snow

snoseek

Nh kids are getting it good next week ot looks like!

Edd

I was at Wachusett last night. I think the longest I wait all night during the eevning session was maybe 5 chairs and often ski on. Having the afterschool programs done for many for the season makes a difference there for sure. Also nice to actaully have a little fresh snow
Dang, you do get around. Your crowd-tolerance levels are epic, I’d speculate. Like, you and Kingslug just do-not-give-a-fuck how many people there are around you.

I respect it, I’m such a wimp about that.

2Planker

Nh kids are getting it good next week ot looks like!
Vail might be trimming weekdays like last year.
AT has removed ALL events from their calendar after next weekend....
Spring Fling, Motor Booty all gone. AT will prob barely make it into march this year

Cat has events listed thru first week in April, but removed everything after that

Edd

Spring Fling, Motor Booty all gone. AT will prob barely make it into march this year

Cat has events listed thru first week in April, but removed everything after that
I truly thought I’d give in and buy an Epic Pass next year but starting to doubt it.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Is anyone surprised? Not me.

drjeff

Dang, you do get around. Your crowd-tolerance levels are epic, I’d speculate. Like, you and Kingslug just do-not-give-a-fuck how many people there are around you.

I respect it, I’m such a wimp about that.
Between my weekends at Mount Snow, and then typically 2 to 3 nights a week for coaching my son's highschool ski team basically the 1st 6 or 7 weeks of the year, and then attending an occasional college race or 2 to watch my daughter race, I rack up a bunch of days quickly. But yet with my "day job" I don't have a ton of flexibility to take say a random Wednesday off to ski.

My ski day schedule is pretty much set in stone ahead of time, and I truly just love being out on the hill no matter how large or small it is, day or night, good weather or bad, crowded or empty. And frankly on crowded days I ended up having tons of fun conversations with random folks who I rode the lift with.

Reactions: Edd

Newpylong

Don't be an asshole.

It was just a comment comparing this week (which is MA vacation week) in Vermont for reference. Skip over it if it's unhelpful.

chuckstah

Crotched was ski on all morning today. Left at noon so can't speak of the afternoon. Conditions not terrible, but some trails chunked up and got skied off quickly even with no crowds.

snoseek

I dont care about the events but if they shut down midweek at any NH area then I'm done...unless its maybe a bonus weekend. I don't ask for much just spin the lifts and make a few passes with the groomer

Edit, its been extra slow this year it feels like. Even at Cannon its been slow at least on the midweek. could be the weather, could be that little surge of interest from covid is relaxing. Its probably the weather.

drjeff

I dont care about the events but if they shut down midweek at any NH area then I'm done...unless its maybe a bonus weekend. I don't ask for much just spin the lifts and make a few passes with the groomer

Edit, its been extra slow this year it feels like. Even at Cannon its been slow at least on the midweek. could be the weather, could be that little surge of interest from covid is relaxing. Its probably the weather.
If next week pans out storm wise, even if the anticipated pattern shifts back to this crappy one we've been in way too often this season, should be enough snow to get past mid March

Last edited: