• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Radar Detectors

MEtoVTSkier

I was cruising to Houlton from Bangor last fall at 85 and had a sparrow fly out and meet his demise on my side mirror. The bird literally exploded all over the side of my car. Blood, feathers and guts everywhere. Found a car wash in Lincoln and it took four trips through to clean the carnage off.

I've dug a couple out of my grill over the years, luckily nothing ever reached the oil coolers or radiator. What you really want to watch for is the Turkeys... I've seen some do some serious damage to vehicles at those speeds.

MadMadWorld

Radar detectors are still useful since LIDAR can't be used from a moving vehicle and usually requires 2 people (one to operate the gun and the other to flag or chase down the driver. If an officer gets you with LIDAR don't even bother trying to fight it.

Jcb890

Somewhat related...

I don't have a radar detector or anything like that, but I like the feature as part of Waze where users can notify others if there is a police car somewhere with a speed trap setup. I always try and update when I see one sitting there and nobody else has sent out a notification on it.

skiNEwhere

If you are seriously intent about not getting a speeding ticket, you could get a laser jammer, which are only illegal in like 10 or so states (none of which are in the northeast)

john1200c

well I have a new ride that looks like it going 90 in my garage, so I take it slow , 10+ on highway, 7+ on 2 lane roads and 35 in the few go slow zones on RT 16 . this has worked for a long time for me.

This ^^^ Does not get much worse than the divided part of the Spaulding...seems they are always there..

MadMadWorld

If you are seriously intent about not getting a speeding ticket, you could get a laser jammer, which are only illegal in like 10 or so states (none of which are in the northeast)

Laser jammer? Never heard of it. The beam does have to be aimed at an object that will reflect back well. Officers are taught to aim at the license plate and headlights. That's why they are almost always operated outside the vehicles. The best thing to do is to get a certain type of headlights that are less reflective. Those license plate covers work really well too.

Not condoning speeding....just sharing information

skiNEwhere

Question for the masses:

So earlier in this thread I mentioned I got a speeding ticket in January for going 75 in a 55, a six point violation. I went to court today and got it reduced to a 2 point, non-moving defective vehicle citation. I took it but I'm still not quite sure what that means, only that it's a lot better than the former charge.

Anyone get one of these before? Did it make their insurance go up? Does the 2 points count towards the 12 I have to get in two years to lose my license?

MEtoVTSkier

I've never had my insurance go up as a result of getting speeding tickets. I have had the same policy for a couple decades though. The points?... Count on them showing up though (hopefully just the 2 from the conviction) I had gotten a couple tickets a few springs ago, and one was all the way down in FL. It took 4-5 months, but the points in FL finally made it to Maine, resulting in a warning letter from Maine that I was on the point threshold and not to get anymore unless I desired a suspension... ;)

VTKilarney

As a general rule, a non-moving violation will not increase your insurance rates.

cdskier

Back in college I had a tailgating ticket in NY (complete BS...barely skidded into another car on an icy stretch of road from blowing snow but the trooper just happened to already be there since another car had gone off the road in this same spot). It was negotiated down to a "failure to obey traffic control device" or something like that which was supposed to be 2 points. I never heard a word about it from NJ or my insurance company though. Not sure if NY never actually transferred the points or what...

This was 15 years ago or so though...

skifree

depends on the state but many tickets moving or non-moving will raise your insurance. (i'm in the biz). The key is not changing to a new company after getting a ticket. Thats when they run your driving history. Big expense running MVR's so if a company doesn't have a reason to run it they won't.

Scruffy

To follow up on my OP. I plead not guilty and I was prepared to plead in court for a reduced charge, hopefully a non-moving violation. The cop did no show so the whole issue got thrown out - happy ending!

Never plead guilty; you never know!

BenedictGomez

depends on the state but many tickets moving or non-moving will raise your insurance. (i'm in the biz). The key is not changing to a new company after getting a ticket. Thats when they run your driving history. Big expense running MVR's so if a company doesn't have a reason to run it they won't.

This is good info. How long does a speeding ticket or other common ticket remain on your searchable record (that the "new" insurance company might ding you for)?

skiNEwhere

To follow up on my OP. I plead not guilty and I was prepared to plead in court for a reduced charge, hopefully a non-moving violation. The cop did no show so the whole issue got thrown out - happy ending!

Never plead guilty; you never know!

This was in Idaho Springs, a tiny city (it's classified as such) of ~2,000 people. They only have traffic court once a month. I spoke with a couple lawyers who told me that if the cop didn't shop up, the couple dozen or so other people who showed up would get their ticket dismissed as well. As a result, it's extremely rare that the cop would not show. So I took what I could get.

A two point non moving violation is a lot better than a 6 point speeding ticket in the "20-39 over the speed limit" bracket that would've definitely raised my insurance. I could've taken it to court but that 6 point violation may have stuck if I were found guilty.

MadMadWorld

This was in Idaho Springs, a tiny city (it's classified as such) of ~2,000 people. They only have traffic court once a month. I spoke with a couple lawyers who told me that if the cop didn't shop up, the couple dozen or so other people who showed up would get their ticket dismissed as well. As a result, it's extremely rare that the cop would not show. So I took what I could get.

A two point non moving violation is a lot better than a 6 point speeding ticket in the "20-39 over the speed limit" bracket that would've definitely raised my insurance. I could've taken it to court but that 6 point violation may have stuck if I were found guilty.

Defective vehicle? Was your speedometer broken? Sounds like bullshit small town shit where all they care about is collecting the fine. If it has a point system attached to it then it will effect your driving record unfortunately since there is not a point system (that I am aware of) for non moving violations.

skiNEwhere

Does Mass use the point system? Can't remember but it may be a little different here

steamboat1

New York uses a point system & you can get points reduced off your license by taking a defensive driving course (4 points), you also get a 10% reduction on your car insurance for 3 years. In order to continue the insurance savings you need to retake the course every 3 years. Vermont also uses a point system but they don't take any points off for taking a defensive driving course. If your license is suspended or revoked in VT. they may require you to take a defensive driving course to get your license reinstated.

Last edited: