• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mtn 2016-17 Season Thread

xwhaler

Anyone ski Ragged this past wknd?
I'm very impressed by their commitment to snowmaking this season. They blew snow on Birches to get that open which was the 1st time in a long time and I figured that combined with Exhibition would be it.

They surprised me by then moving and blowing on Lower Crewcut which I'd think may be ready to open soon combined with some natural.

Their latest FB post says they are now re surfacing on the terrain park and Upper Ridge. Definitely making a nice effort to provide good quality snow for the throngs of passholders and buses they take in every wknd.

Will be back up on Saturday hopefully skiing some glades.

Jully

I'm very impressed by their commitment to snowmaking this season. They blew snow on Birches to get that open which was the 1st time in a long time and I figured that combined with Exhibition would be it.

They surprised me by then moving and blowing on Lower Crewcut which I'd think may be ready to open soon combined with some natural.

Their latest FB post says they are now re surfacing on the terrain park and Upper Ridge. Definitely making a nice effort to provide good quality snow for the throngs of passholders and buses they take in every wknd.

I was there Sunday and was pretty happy given the January they had. Showboat was a little scratchy but everywhere else had excellent cover. Birches was awesome, exhibition glades opened up due to blow over from snowmaking it seemed, lower crewcut had some sizable whales that were visible from the lift. I just hope they don't groom it... Also Sweepstakes seemed to have some snow on it, maybe something blew over from snowmaking on Exhibition even though it is behind the guns. It'd be great if that would open up after a storm or two. Exhibition had some mild death cookies on it from grooming, but nothing to really complain about. My only issue is out of the mountain's control in that their major bump runs (natural trails only) aren't open and their glades aren't open (minus Exhibition glades which proved fun for a few sporadic runs).

Cool to see them resurfacing, after not resurfacing for what seemed like months to start the season (I think I remember like 3 weekends in a row where Newfound Ridge was the same hardpack sheet the whole way down), I'm impressed with their effort now. I don't even really think Upper Ridge needs much resurfacing. I've skied mostly Sundays and have never had a problem with crowding. I've always found a table fairly quickly in the lodge when I choose to boot up inside and Spear has been ski on every Sunday this season.

On a side note I tried the Nordica e93 and Blizzard Brahma for the first time demoing this weekend and both were real nice. Going to have sometime to think about this offseason...

medfordmike

How have the crowds generally been this season with the cheap passes? My weekend place is only about 40 minutes away from Ragged and it is under two hours from my main house. So it is a nice option. in the past their snow making (good quality but reduced quantity) and pass price were reasonable but not enough to get me to purchase. This year with the pond expansion and low passes those concerns no longer seem to be an issue but I was wondering in general about non holiday crowds. I don't expect empty but I definitely prefer low key. Thanks in advance for any advice from folks.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
How have the crowds generally been this season with the cheap passes? My weekend place is only about 40 minutes away from Ragged and it is under two hours from my main house. So it is a nice option. in the past their snow making (good quality but reduced quantity) and pass price were reasonable but not enough to get me to purchase. This year with the pond expansion and low passes those concerns no longer seem to be an issue but I was wondering in general about non holiday crowds. I don't expect empty but I definitely prefer low key. Thanks in advance for any advice from folks.

Not any worse than previous years and the busiest days were more due to race events than cheap passes. Plus they've made an effort to fill the six pack chairs so even when there has been a line it move along quickly. The Spears HQS has generally been a short wait as well.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

becca m

i generally get to Ragged Sunday am for the first hour - enough time to sample and lap my favorites. Generally no waiting but it's nowhere near as empty as it has been past years. I am pleased with their snowmaking this year.... still waiting for the glades :)

xwhaler

Lines on the lifts and crowding on the trails has not really been much of a concern. They have done a nice job with queue management on the 6 pack and the Spear usually doesn't have much of a wait.

The lodge is another story across all aspects of the operation.
Both restaurants are generally slammed...the Stone Hearth (main bar) has 2 bartenders but no table service so you bus your own food. Birches is understaffed and the kitchen is way too small to handle the volume.
I've seen 20+ min waits to get a beer with a line snaked through the place. Folks not buying anything using tables in the bar but no one to regulate or enforce.
The cafeteria area is woefully small for the volume of guests they push through.

In Ragged I see a mtn that is trying to grow rapidly through the volume play. Lots of cheap passes, 6+ buses every wknd, a free learn to ski program that has made the Barnyard and lesson area quite busy.
Their dedication to snowmaking both from a snow depth as well as terrain expansion standpoint is so much better than in past yrs.

We have felt we are getting nice value from our passes but are unlikely to renew next yr. With 2 little kids we are looking for something a bit more low-key (less parking and lodge hassles) and I get the feeling that Ragged is quickly turning into Sunapee East.

Pros and cons to growth....Ragged has figured out they do need to blow snow to handle the crowds which is great but they need to come up with a plan to handle moving folks in and around the lodge.
I don't see much of a plan for that (nothing improves week to week) and typically management is nowhere to be seen.

If I was a solo skier and wanted to bang out a lot of runs on some nice terrain (by Central NH standards) Ragged does makes a lot of sense. Boot up at the car, head to the lift, head home.

Last edited:

dlague

When our kids were young sub 9 years old, Ragged was our go to ski area for a couple years since we lived a town away. However, since the kids did their school ski program there and we were skiing there every weekend it got old fast. This was about 15 years ago when they opened the 6 pack. Snow making was not very good and operationally they had problems. As we skied other resorts Ragged continued to be a 1-3 times per year place primarily due to The Ride and Ski Card. It is great to see the improvements but, I still am not a fan of how they open terrain and their snow making distribution. It seems as though their approach to snow making is cover up a trail real good (thick base) before moving on to the next.

Jully

That is indeed their philosophy. It was definitely a little annoying in December, but I found January pretty enjoyable there once Spear opened up. Then again, I have made sure to intersperse other ski areas in my weekend outings so I am not doing Ragged back to back to back and able to ski groomers only.

Hoping this next storm lets them open a lot of glades and they can stay open!

Smellytele

That is indeed their philosophy. It was definitely a little annoying in December, but I found January pretty enjoyable there once Spear opened up. Then again, I have made sure to intersperse other ski areas in my weekend outings so I am not doing Ragged back to back to back and able to ski groomers only.

Hoping this next storm lets them open a lot of glades and they can stay open!

If 5 inches allow them to "open a lot of glades and they can stay open!"

becca m

Ragged glades were great today/this morning even though they were well-tracked out. Managed to ride some small pockets of fresh pow. Did a couple laps in each of the open glades. Still, a few glades not open :( Super conditions but a bit brisk - wind was blowing off any loose pow from the packed pow on the groomers.