• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rat in m garden

mondeo

I actually saw a segment on the news a couple of nights ago about some people in various parts of the country are starting to have their natural turf that they have great difficulties keeping growing due to various grading and/or shade issues ripped out and their yards covered with field turf! Definately caught my attention
If only all of SoCal would do that, we'd never have to hear about water shortages again.

drjeff

Worst thing about moving to the Northeast- eating steamers, and having Stanley Steemer clean your house.

I love clams, can't eat something called a steamer.

It's even worse in Cleveland

/Yay! Poop thread!!

Steamers are still better than Gooey Ducks in my book any day!

geoduck.jpg

Wow! that's twice in 1 day with a high degree of relevance that I've got to use this pic :lol:

bigbog

if you're in an open area...able to shoot....

...Without nailing your neighbor while he's watching Dancing With the Stars..;-)...maybe you can ramp it down a notch or 10 from mondeo's military level caliber..with just your average low calibre rifle will take a rat out...accurate! Or maybe take a look at the high-powered BB guns available...y/n?

Glenn

...Without nailing your neighbor while he's watching Dancing With the Stars..;-)...maybe you can ramp it down a notch or 10 from mondeo's military level caliber..with just your average low calibre rifle will take a rat out...accurate! Or maybe take a look at the high-powered BB guns available...y/n?

You know...that's a damn good idea. I picked up a neat pellet/bb gun a few months ago. I use it up in VT; sit/stand on deck, shoot cans hanging from the clothes line. Ahhhhh!

Anyway, the thing has some power. I'm sure it could easliy take out a rat. And there usually aren't restrictions on where you can shoot a BB gun on your own property.

drjeff

2 boxes of ex-lax squares have been inserted into various mole trails (OUTSIDE the invisible fence perimeter ;) ) as of last night. Just hope those suckers are hungry AND that they make great fertilizer!

ctenidae

You know...that's a damn good idea. I picked up a neat pellet/bb gun a few months ago. I use it up in VT; sit/stand on deck, shoot cans hanging from the clothes line. Ahhhhh!

Anyway, the thing has some power. I'm sure it could easliy take out a rat. And there usually aren't restrictions on where you can shoot a BB gun on your own property.

I used to have a .22 pellet gun. At closer ranges, it was nearly as powerful as a real .22, at least near enough to make no difference. Believe me, when I saw the rat climbing a tomato plant, I wanted it back. Alas, it is no more.

Can't wait to hear the results of the Ex-Lax biowarfare, though I can't imagine how you'll know the results, beyond the moles being gone. Might be enough for one of them to eat it, and the rest will move out. I would.

drjeff

I used to have a .22 pellet gun. At closer ranges, it was nearly as powerful as a real .22, at least near enough to make no difference. Believe me, when I saw the rat climbing a tomato plant, I wanted it back. Alas, it is no more.

Can't wait to hear the results of the Ex-Lax biowarfare, though I can't imagine how you'll know the results, beyond the moles being gone. Might be enough for one of them to eat it, and the rest will move out. I would.

Should know the success (or lack there of) pretty quick. Planning on cutting the lawn on Saturday which does a pretty good job of rolling down their trails (Thank you Simplicity Tractor with full deck width lawn roller :) ) and if they haven't sh$t themselves to death, those trails (or atleast the active ones) will be popped up once again within 24 hours. And I currently have 3 seperate and distinct mole trail pods in my yard laced with ex-lax

Glenn

"Sorry Dr. Jeff...we here at Stanley Steemer only do interior carpets. You'll have to call someone else to come steam clean the lawn. But we are happy the moles are gone!"

drjeff

On a side note, as I was making the mega ex-lax purchase the other evening, I was really glad that that the girl at the cash register at my local CVS and the folks infront + behind me inline weren't patients of mine! Could only imagine what they'd be thinking of that sight! :lol: :rolleyes:

mondeo

But with my method you don't have to worry about how close to a house or road you are, becuase you can hit the thing from a mile away. And no disposal either, just instant fertilizer.

Glenn

On a side note, as I was making the mega ex-lax purchase the other evening, I was really glad that that the girl at the cash register at my local CVS and the folks infront + behind me inline weren't patients of mine! Could only imagine what they'd be thinking of that sight! :lol: :rolleyes:

You can bill this under your FSA...... :beer:

drjeff

Game on!! 36 (12 3 sqaure segments) sqaures of ex-lax have been inserted into various mole trails around my yard!

drjeff

Trails are back up, hoping those suckers got a good chow down on the ex-lax as they were re-opening them. I'll stamp them back down tommorrow and see if 2 days of hopefully non-stop mole sh$tting has done the trick!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I had a similar experience buying up all the CLR (9 bottles) in a Pathmark and a bucket of leftover fried chicken.

Edit: The 2nd half of this thread really delivers!